Acadia in the Fall
Grand Canyon
Moab/Arches/Canyonlands
Glacier
Yosemite

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Definite second on that one. Canyon lands has three separate districts, each one of which could provide 1-2 days of excursions.

Edit: plus Arches is right there, too…and Monument Valley is only a short drive away. Moab is a great central location for all that.
It's the best place to find a hotel in the area for sure.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
My dad told me that he thought Mt. Rushmore was one of the most impressive man made wonders and Badlands for a natural wonder and they’re within a couple of hours of each other. I don’t know how they compare to others on the list.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In retirement, live in a beatiful area. Take side trips at the perfect time and date

A great Canada trip:
If you are at all competent at golf AND can take a long vacation to Canada, here is a plan to enjoy the Rockies. IN JULY fly to Vancover, slowly slowly slowly drive to Calgary, fly home.
In july its pleasant temperatures and daylite till 9:30. Take time to visit Vancouver. Each day just wing it driving generally east ,searching out side trips stopping at stream crossing. In morning make progress BUT AT NOON find a GOLF COURSE and hotel. If wife not tired, take her to ride along for 9 or 18. ALL COURSE ARE BEAUTIFUL WITH GREAT VIEWS. TO SHOOT GOOD ROUND ONLY LOOK AT SCENERY ON TEE BOX OR AT BALL """AFTER YOU HIT"". . AS YOU DRIVE AND BEFORE YOU HIT ONLY ONLY LOOK AT LANDING SPOT AND BALL/ TEE . If you look around while while driving you will get totally distracted and wonder why you are golfing. Whistler, Kelona, Radium, Banff , Calgary ( south) have great golf and accommodations. Takes 7 days.
If you can take a 100 lile side trip north of Calgary - they have an amazing dinosaur "dig" and museum.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My picks:

1. Alaska
2. Grand Canyon
3. Yosemite
4. Utah: Bryce Canyon, Arches
5. Big Sur/Monterrey
6. Redwood National Forest
7. Tahoe
8. Yellowstone
9. Outer Banks
10. Delware Water Gap

I'd take 3-4 months and break this into several trips.
This is a good list. A couple of minor exceptions. I would lump the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Arches into one trip, but definitely add Dead Horse (Maybe the most spectacular sunrise in the US). All those are relatively close together.

Maybe do the Outer Banks 1st. A big storm could make going there very difficult in the future. Drive south from Oregon Inlet on Hwy 12, find a dune crossover and go for a long beach walk. Better yet, do it at sunrise. Climb a lighthouse. If you go in the late Fall, watch for the Snow Geese and Tundra Swans that migrate through here.

I don't know why more fonts are not including Niagara Falls. Yes, it's a touristy mess, but you cannot beat the feeling of being in a boat at the foot of the falls and having that spray all over you.

Also substitute the Okefenokee Swamp for the Delaware Water Gap. See it in a boat. There 15,000 gators in the swamp. You gotta see em.

One last thing. Get out of the car, don your hiking boots and do a few miles on the AT. No gators near the AT.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is a good list. A couple of minor exceptions. I would lump the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Arches into one trip, but definitely add Dead Horse (Maybe the most spectacular sunrise in the US). All those are relatively close together.

Maybe do the Outer Banks 1st. A big storm could make going there very difficult in the future. Drive south from Oregon Inlet on Hwy 12, find a dune crossover and go for a long beach walk. Better yet, do it at sunrise. Climb a lighthouse. If you go in the late Fall, watch for the Snow Geese and Tundra Swans that migrate through here.

I don't know why more fonts are not including Niagara Falls. Yes, it's a touristy mess, but you cannot beat the feeling of being in a boat at the foot of the falls and having that spray all over you.

Also substitute the Okefenokee Swamp for the Delaware Water Gap. See it in a boat. There 15,000 gators in the swamp. You gotta see em.

One last thing. Get out of the car, don your hiking boots and do a few miles on the AT. No gators near the AT.
Overnight canoe trip in the swamp camping on platforms is an other worldly experience.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Duh. Of course. I am not sure why I left this out.

Oh, mosquitoes don't breed in the swamp water, so it's only you and the gators. And the other world night sounds.
Little known fact about the “tea water” (tannic acid) that keeps mosquito larva from developing. Glad you mentioned that. So few people know that.

And…there are sounds in the swamp…at night….when no one is around….when it’s just you in the dark…and no one can hear you scream….and there are sounds in the swamp….at night..

scary black and white GIF