Your five "must see" natural wonders

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If you were to go five places in North America because of their awesome natural beauty where would you go? I think I'll be retiring around April 2025 and my wife and I will be seeing some sights in NA. What would be your favorite places?

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
If you were to go five places in North America because of their awesome natural beauty where would you go? I think I'll be retiring around April 2025 and my wife and I will be seeing some sights in NA. What would be your favorite places?

We took a trip to southern Utah a couple of years ago. I would put Zion and Bryce Canyon on my list.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
My picks:

1. Alaska
2. Grand Canyon
3. Yosemite
4. Utah: Bryce Canyon, Arches
5. Big Sur/Monterrey
6. Redwood National Forest
7. Tahoe
8. Yellowstone
9. Outer Banks
10. Delware Water Gap

I'd take 3-4 months and break this into several trips.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Congratulations on your pending retirement.

Lots of places out west are really mysterious. As some have pointed out…

Arches, Canyon Land, and Dead Horse are all close together. Consider taking the Rocky Mountainer train to Moab (breathtaking scenery along the way) and then hire a tour company to take you off road. (Sand and Stars is a good one).

Also, if you haven’t done it, consider taking the classic southern route drive out west. Enjoy San Antonio and Austin, and then hit…. Meteor Crater, Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell, White Sands, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Monument Castle, Grand Canyon, Sunset Crater, Toombstone…too many fun places to remember all of them.

If you get all the way to California you have a whole other group of magnificent places that people have already mentioned.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My picks:

1. Alaska
2. Grand Canyon
3. Yosemite
4. Utah: Bryce Canyon, Arches
5. Big Sur/Monterrey
6. Redwood National Forest
7. Tahoe
8. Yellowstone
9. Outer Banks
10. Delware Water Gap

I'd take 3-4 months and break this into several trips.
Good list
For me only missing 1 an 10. #1 is on the list to be done.

We have also loved Canyonlands, Tetons, Olympic, and Rock Mountain National Parks.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Hello everyone. Thanks for all of your responses. I was switching TV stations the other night and landed on PBS with Peter Coyote narrating what seemed to be a "commercial" of Ken Burns' National Parks program. It got me wondering what places we should see before we go to Europe.

Anyone been to Banff and Lake Louise? Would that fit into your top five?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Banff is on a long list of places I want to go.

Damn man, wish I was in your shoes. I'm not far behind but chomping at the bit. I have not figured out what exit off the crazy train I'm going to take.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
One of my favorites is to take a boat and go anchor near Ft Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas off of Key West. Get your history fix, your snorkeling fix, and your fishing fix all in one go!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Damn man, wish I was in your shoes. I'm not far behind but chomping at the bit. I have not figured out what exit off the crazy train I'm going to take.
I've stuck around longer than I should I guess but I'm one of the lucky ones that likes their job. I'll be hanging it up after 35 years here in April.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll play. I would say some of this list depends on how mobile you are. Zion is one of my top 5 but it really helps to be able to hike Angels Landing, Narrows, and Subway. I will assume it's more of a view/lookout/short walk list.
1. Grand Canyon
2. Bryce Canyon
3. Yosemite
4. Olympic
5. Glacier
Been to Banff. Definitely worth a view of Lake Louise and Lake Morainne if you get to Glacier, but Glacier to me is better. You have to go to Yellowstone, but not on my top 5. Agree with TampaBuzz on Dry Tortugas. Everyone should snorkel there. We actually kayaked to an island close by and the snorkelling there was incredible. PM me if you have any questions.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Arches and Canyonlands, also in the 4 corners
Definite second on that one. Canyon lands has three separate districts, each one of which could provide 1-2 days of excursions.

Edit: plus Arches is right there, too…and Monument Valley is only a short drive away. Moab is a great central location for all that.

Last edited:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Banff is a great choice. We’ve been there twice, and had some magnificent hikes each time.

Edit: if you are in Banff, you absolutely must budget time to head north up the Icefields Parkway and hike up Parker Ridge to see the Saskatchewan Glacier from above.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hello everyone. Thanks for all of your responses. I was switching TV stations the other night and landed on PBS with Peter Coyote narrating what seemed to be a "commercial" of Ken Burns' National Parks program. It got me wondering what places we should see before we go to Europe.

Anyone been to Banff and Lake Louise? Would that fit into your top five?
I’ve never been but my parents said it was the trip of a lifetime. They included heli-hiking the Bugaboos, having a helicopter put you down on a glazier for a day of hiking with picnic included. They couldn’t wait each morning to see where they were going next.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I’ve never been but my parents said it was the trip of a lifetime. They included heli-hiking the Bugaboos, having a helicopter put you down on a glazier for a day of hiking with picnic included. They couldn’t wait each morning to see where they were going next.
I remember one of my first managers in my career told me about a trip there. He said it was the closest thing to the Alps in North America

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remember one of my first managers in my career told me about a trip there. He said it was the closest thing to the Alps in North America
We are all envious of you. Since the pandemic and moving and some nagging health issues I’ve gotten completely out of travel mode. It really is one of the best things you can do in life.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've stuck around longer than I should I guess but I'm one of the lucky ones that likes their job. I'll be hanging it up after 35 years here in April.
I retired at the end of May. Like you, I was lucky in that I enjoyed my work. But I became increasingly aware that it was getting in the way of doing all the tings I wanted to do. And that the window of opportunity for doing the things I like to do doesn't stay open forever. Banff is a great place but the one top choice (imo) in the US is Alaska. Nothing else comes close. I do like Maine as well in the summer time but Alaska has to be seen to be believed. Good luck!!