Youngstown State

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We should be generous and give them at least one win. They deserved a win Tuesday when they scored 19 runs. They may have a pitching problem.

Maybe we could get an extra game in so that we can run up our win total this year. RPI is meaningless except for ranking teams.

289 RPI.
1709900929415.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts today:

A relief of a win! Didn't assuage my concerns about this team after the last 4 to 6 games, but we live to fight again tomorrow. Our end of season RPI may be negatively impacted by this game, but not as much as if we lost.

Started out down 4-1 through 5.5 innings. At that point we had been outscored 19-1 in the prior 17 innings, if my math is correct, against UGA (0-8), Northeastern (0-7), and Youngstown State (1-4).

Then slow hook Bertolini left his starter in for the 6th, having come into the game with a 16.62 ERA and approaching 90 pitches. Thank you coach! We tied it up in the 6th at 4.

Although Youngstown State took the lead again 5-4 in T7, we outscored them 14-1 in the last 3 innings for an 8 inning run-rule game. Now I know why Coach Bertolini left his starter in...

Disappointed with Hill's start, but was going after hitters giving up 8 hits. Not all of them hit hard. Patel had a great relief outing giving up 2 runs in 4.1 innings to finish things off.

A lot of good stats on the hitters side at the end, but it didn't start off that way... One player that stood out to me was Brosius. 3-5 with 5 RBI in the 7 hole. Drove in a run in the 6th with a single, 2 runs in the 7th with a single, and 3 runs (1 unearned, so no RBI) in the 8th with a double to end the game with the 10 run rule after 7 innings in effect. Big hit that saved one inning of our pitching for the rest of the weekend.

Again, not thrilled with this win. More relieved because of the way it started and the team we were playing. But if it can light the fire of our offense again that had been missing for a while...

Let's win TWO tomorrow! Go Jackets!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Was really glad we pulled this game out but it does nothing to relieve my concerns about how we match up with quality opponents. Youngstown pitching is last in D1 with a 12+ ERA and next to last with a K/BB of 0.5+ according to ESPN. And I don't know what their team BA is but it can't be good with the numbers I saw on their hitters.
Hopefully we use this series to work some things out if we are gonna compete well in the ACC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Noted that Geisler wasn't in yesterday. Day to day or week to week?

Actually, Softball started their ACC season last weekend with a sweep over Pittsburgh. Then two wins at NC State. 5-0 ACC now.

Yeah, ****ty vetting of what I thought I heard. But I did watch about 3 innings of the game when Voyles was pitching (more compelling than our game).

These are awesome numbers. She got pulled when she gave up her first hit. Now that's a fast hook ;)
1709986863223.png

Was really glad we pulled this game out but it does nothing to relieve my concerns about how we match up with quality opponents. Youngstown pitching is last in D1 with a 12+ ERA and next to last with a K/BB of 0.5+ according to ESPN. And I don't know what their team BA is but it can't be good with the numbers I saw on their hitters.
Hopefully we use this series to work some things out if we are gonna compete well in the ACC.

For 6 innings, we were good hosts and they were ahead or tied with us. Nothing to be worried about there; other than everything.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This……nothing more to be said (except have I mentioned how disappointed I am in our pitching?).

Maybe this is a year to turn our attention to softball.

Maybe, apparently had some tough losses to start but coming on:
1709995839831.png

Two Americans leading Paris-Nice going into the final day. Point is that there are hundreds of competing forms of entertainment.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Out of laziness.... I'm starting here without trying to figure it some other way. Are today's games 7-inning games? I think coaches can agree to that if they choose.

ETA... Finateri & McKee start today. Apologies if I'm duplicating info. Was not engaged with baseball last few days.

Last edited:

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Two of the three first weekend starters already moved to the bullpen. How can an ACC team with the history of GT have one legitimate starting pitcher on the roster?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Two of the three first weekend starters already moved to the bullpen. How can an ACC team with the history of GT have one legitimate starting pitcher on the roster?
I will say that I think McGuire and Finateri will both be studs for us this year. I also really like Ballard in the weekday spot. As for the bullpen though, I am very concerned and don't have much optimism. The freshmen have looked good but the seniors haven't which is not a recipe for success. Freshmen pitchers usually run out of gas at some point.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Out of laziness.... I'm starting here without trying to figure it some other way. Are today's games 7-inning games? I think coaches can agree to that if they choose.

ETA... Finateri & McKee start today. Apologies if I'm duplicating info. Was not engaged with baseball last few days.

All games described as coaches agreeing to 10 after 7. Which I think means if after 7 innings any team gets a 10 run lead, the game is over. So today's games should be 7 inning games.

Rhetorical answer. A team has to make history every year. We haven't in a long time.

Another question may be when has such a team ever made the NCAAs. Given out perceived talent, maybe we will (tic).

1710002133580.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
All games described as coaches agreeing to 10 after 7. Which I think means if after 7 innings any team gets a 10 run lead, the game is over. So today's games should be 7 inning games.

Rhetorical answer. A team has to make history every year. We haven't in a long time.

Another question may be when has such a team ever made the NCAAs. Given out perceived talent, maybe we will (tic).

View attachment 15864
I'd love to see analysis on PG rankings of Georgia (the state) baseball players. Are they generally inflated?. I just think those HS rankings are flawed. It is a pay to play system in many ways.

Your chart isn't "bad" info... just feels incomplete and likely not the whole story. If you did one for offense & one for pitching... (both) might track better. Not asking you to... just sayin' ... I do hate that chart. 😒

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not defending our pitching staff because …….. well I’ll just leave it at that, however, in direct response to your statement I don’t believe Busse or Patel were ever going to be starters in our regular weekend rotation. They were just filling in until (as CDS says) “we could get our guys up in there” (I.e., a couple of guys could finish getting healthy).

It does seem like Patel possibly could be a valuable middle relief inning eater (withholding complete judgement until we see better competition).

I just wish we could get the old Scary Terry back. That one is a mystery.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd love to see analysis on PG rankings of Georgia (the state) baseball players. Are they generally inflated?. I just think those HS rankings are flawed. It is a pay to play system in many ways.

Your chart isn't "bad" info... just feels incomplete and likely not the whole story. If you did one for offense & one for pitching... (both) might track better. Not asking you to... just sayin' ... I do hate that chart. 😒

It shows what a great recruiter Hall is! :cautious:

Yes, breaking down pitchers and the rest would probably show a weaker pitching recruiting picture. While I can take pitchers only for our team, I can't rank against everyone else without doing them too.

I dislike what the chart is saying overall; I won't ever say it's accurate given the pay for play rankings (which affects most top players) or the lack of portal impact. The portal has become much more important the last 3 years. We've done well in the portal (top 20 as I remember) if you think D1 Baseball is accurate. I don't since I think they overtly pander to SEC teams including in their two tier pricing structure - one price for the rabble and a higher price for the SEC elite.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think senoiajacket had the same answer above, but I'd have preferred leaving Busse in the late innings/closer role (which he did well last year) and seeing what Patel could do in the bullpen/midweek starter before having them in the weekend slots. I hope that it was waiting for Hill and McGuire to get healthy to the point where they could be starters. Mixed results for Hill so far, but he has the talent to be an ACC #1 in my opinion. Just needs to display it week in and week out.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
What a waste, playing all these cupcakes early in the season. In no way is this readying us for conference play.

Alas. I hope to live long enough to see a young energeric hungry baseball coach at Tech.