Young players key on offense next season

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We have some young players who are going to be forced into key roles early on.

The main spot is at the OL.

Freddie Burden - The worse Freddie Burden will be is the #2 center this year...Although he is the huge favorite to win the job. Freddie will be a Rs Sophomore but has never played a snap..he missed all of this year due a injury suffered in practice. Burden is a key piece as he will be the main guy in the middle.

Chris Griffin - Chris will be a Rs Freshman next year and likely a starter at tackle come open day.

Shamire Devine - As with Burden the worst Devine will be is second string...he was very close to playing several times this year due to injury. He has a ton of physical talent.

So come opening day in 2014 we have at least two new starters on the OL if not three.

The other spot is RB

Travis Custis - Custis will come in and be expected to help right away...of course Laskey is the likely starter but Custis is expected to win the backup job and get some carries next year.

Dennis Andrews - He earned some playing time this year and showed what he can do will the ball in his hands...he has a lot of talent. He will be key guy moving forward and someone I expect to see a lot of.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric any news on Deon Hill's medical issues? Do you feel the is a talent upgrade on the O line?

Deon has Crohn's disease...he is done fine right now.

Yeah, I feel that is a big talent upgrade. We are giving up a lot of experince with thse guys but I think the talent of these three is an upgrade over what he had.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I feel that is a big talent upgrade. We are giving up a lot of experince with thse guys but I think the talent of these three is an upgrade over what he had.

Thanks, that's good news on Deon. He showed me that he can be an very important cog in this offense and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in '14. As to the O line that was my feeling as well, it's also looks like, based upon the projected starter, the O line will be bigger as well in '14.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We are going to have a good line if they can stay healthy. We are going to be young and thin though. We may not be able to redshirt as much as we would like.

The more I think about it, the more I like our team next year on the offensive side of the ball. Waller, Smelter, and Autry are some potent recievers. Days, Andrews, Laskey, and Custis. Will be a good combo.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern with OL is that they became so comfortable with our base blocking schemes that they could execute them with their eyes shut and then played like their eyes were shut. I don't know if thst was bad coaching or kids relying on what works 90% of the time regardless of what the coach says.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not Eric, but I'm pretty sure Devine would have to be a G in this offense. The T's are expected to get to the 2nd level more often and the "beefier" guys are put at G to go against the DT's.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We are going to have a good line if they can stay healthy. We are going to be young and thin though. We may not be able to redshirt as much as we would like.

The more I think about it, the more I like our team next year on the offensive side of the ball. Waller, Smelter, and Autry are some potent recievers. Days, Andrews, Laskey, and Custis. Will be a good combo.
I hope you are correct, but I have been hearing that about our line for 4 or 5 years. Someone has to step up in the backfield to replace Godhighs numbers. Days, Perkins, and the rest of the upper class A backs have been a major disappointment.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I hope you are correct, but I have been hearing that about our line for 4 or 5 years. Someone has to step up in the backfield to replace Godhighs numbers. Days, Perkins, and the rest of the upper class A backs have been a major disappointment.

Bailey would have made a big difference...sad that a lot of them could not stay healthy.

I dont think Days has been a disappointment, he actually has done well this year I thought. Especially in blocking...still needs some work when hes carrying, seems to hit the wrong lane.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Devine will be battling Braun at G.

The other T spot will be between Roberts and Chamberlain.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
So is it for sure that Bailey is not coming back and giving it another shot. If so this is really sad. I know he hasn't been able to stay healthy, but none of his injuries have been devastating. I think CPJ has given him some extremely high praise. Would hate to lose him if there was a chance he could come back and co tribute even for a few games.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The offensive line has been a problem since CPJ arrived. I hope it will be better next year, but I have my doubts. I hope we continue to recruit 5 offensive linemen a year until we have good line play. Except for CPJ's first year the same can be said for the DL.