You guys are about to visit the worst atmosphere in the ACC

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Our fanbase is broken. Not only do we have a bad team, with a bad coach, we don't even have the luxury of knowing we'll have a new coach next year.

London has failed absolutely, there is no hope that he can turn it around, yet somehow our AD and Assistant AD (the one with the cocaine conviction) seem to believe in him, and there's a very real possibility he'll be around NEXT year, too. Seriously, there's not a less enthusiastic place in America than the UVA football program.

That said, we're going to play a game, so feel free to ask questions, and I'll answer them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey, who doesn't have a cocaine conviction on the ol' resume amirite? {high-five goes unanswered}

Seriously though, I remember reading about how well London has recruited. Have any of these recruits panned out? I recall the safety and the CB Smelter abused last year. Should we expect to see athletes all over the field on D?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
...sort of? Not really?
The safety that you mention is Quin Blanding, and he's a stud. The CB Smelter abused last year was Maurice Canady, and he was like a 2 or 3 star recruit who just has ended up being better than his recruiting rankings. Andrew Brown was a super high level recruit at DT, and he's starting, but is just "meh", honestly. The only guy who consistently flashes on D is Blanding. We have some athletes on D, it's true, but a lot of them are better athletes than they are football players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have struggled mightily up there for some unknown reason. I hope that doesn't continue and there's no real reason it should just for tradition sake butttt.....

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The guy you have to watch out for is RB smoke Mizzell. He was a super recruit a couple years ago, and is only now starting to show his potential. He's an all purpose back that UVA lines up all over, in the backfield, at WR, in the slot, wherever. He hasn't got a ton of wiggle, but he's got good straightline speed and is a VERY good receiver for a RB. He's got like 40 catches on the year already and we try to get him the ball whenever possible. He's a good player that we're creative with, but he's the only guy on offense who should worry you.

Our QB is just the definition of Mediocre, yet according to our coach he was so much better than UGA's starting QB that "it wasn't close" in the offseason. He essentially ran Lambert off, and Lambert succeeding with better coaching is seen by many as a huge indictment of London's coaching ability.

We have 5 offensive linemen that start.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
The guy you have to watch out for is RB smoke Mizzell. He was a super recruit a couple years ago, and is only now starting to show his potential. He's an all purpose back that UVA lines up all over, in the backfield, at WR, in the slot, wherever. He hasn't got a ton of wiggle, but he's got good straightline speed and is a VERY good receiver for a RB. He's got like 40 catches on the year already and we try to get him the ball whenever possible. He's a good player that we're creative with, but he's the only guy on offense who should worry you.

Our QB is just the definition of Mediocre, yet according to our coach he was so much better than UGA's starting QB that "it wasn't close" in the offseason. He essentially ran Lambert off, and Lambert succeeding with better coaching is seen by many as a huge indictment of London's coaching ability.

We have 5 offensive linemen that start.

I think my definition of succeeding and your definition of succeeding might be a little different...

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Johnson says we've suddenly gotten stupid when playing on the road. UVA should hope that's true, but then again those road games have occurred @ND, @Dook and @Clem, so we're hoping the quality of opponents has had something to do with it.

I've personally witnessed GT get burned in Hooville when favored a couple of times, so I'm very reserved when we play there.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
In the broadest terms, what type of offense do you run, and (corollary) will the adjustments we made on D for FSU be successful against the Hoos, in your opinion, if we play D essentially the same as we did on Sat.?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to the game on Saturday and I came to the realization yesterday that it truly may be very lacking in UVA fans due to it being Halloween. Do you think there is very much interest at all for UVA to attend this game? I almost feel like it would've been better from a UVA crowd standpoint if the game were at noon. With the game at 3 I expect most young families to skip out, as well as a large amount of the students. What do you think?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We run a multiple offense. At heart we'd like to be a power running team but we just don't have the jimmies and joes to do it, so we run a ton of different formations, mix and match personnel, and try to create specific matchups (e.g. A linebacker on Mizzell or single coverage on Thorpe. Mizzell is likely to get the lions share of the touches. He's our leading rusher and leading receiver, although we spread around both carries and catches pretty well. We'll settle for field goals. Our kicker is VERY good, and bails the team out often.

TBH, you guys were more aggressive against Florida State than I think you need to be against UVa. Were I roof, I'd sit back in a medium zone and let us try to work underneath and run into your front 7. We'd nickel and dime you a little bit, but I don't think we can sustain drives. Better that than let somebody behind you and give up the big play (which, for all his faults, Johns can hit). Johns is a high risk/reward guy, so making him play underneath goes against his natural inclination and would likely lead to some bad decisions.

As much as you guys hate playing off and giving up the softy stuff, that's exactly what I'd do against us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do you have fast wide receivers?
How about qb with a strong arm.
We have yet to meet this combination?

Ha ve friends who graduated from your law school a b d they really bragg abot the campus. We went to nd and it was great. The folks were super friendly showing us around. How are u guys with opposing teams?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We have a fast wide receiver (UNC transfer TJ Thorpe) We have a quarterback with a strong enough arm (though not a rocket, per se).

The campus is, in fact, beautiful. Just a perfectly picturesque college campus. Vies with Ole Miss for prettiest in the east (I have a hard time saying ANY campus is prettier than Pepperdine)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Do they still sell Zima inside the stadium?

Would you say that most uva fans have swallowed their own swords at this point, or just fantasize about it daily?

Is uva truly the epicenter of college cornhole?