You’re the HC: In percentages how would you divide NIL Money Pool by position group to equal 100%?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Just curious about the various % allotments of the overall NIL collective money pool for your football players would be divided up by percentage according to their respective position groups?
For example of the overall NIL budget:
45% offense
45% defense
10% special teams

Then within each bracket: offense, defense, and special teams. How would you split that 45%, 45%, and 10% into individual positions, and then on top of that you would have to decide a ratio of dicing up that percentage into individual players according to the depth chart. Talk about having a lot to consider as a HC and budgeting analysis to make sure you are getting a good return on the overall money spent is fascinating. It is really a complicated process and of course the tighter the budget pool is the more important the correct percentages are assigned. Not to mention trying to manage the “expectations” of NIL deals for incoming “blue chip” recruits vs not burning bridges with your current rostered players. Lots to balance and think about outside of the X’s and O’s of coaching responsibilities and staff management. Hope Key has great General Managers who have great insight on “how to budget and spend wisely”. What are your thoughts? How would you divide your NIL budget among your team?

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just curious about the various % allotments of the overall NIL collective money pool for your football players would be divided up by percentage according to their respective position groups?
45% offense
45% defense
10% special teams

Then within each bracket: offense, defense, and special teams. How would you split that 45%, 45%, and 10% into individual positions, and then on top of that you would have to decide a ratio of dicing up that percentage into individual players according to the depth chart. Talk about having a lot to consider as a HC and budgeting analysis to make sure you are getting a good return on the overall money spent is fascinating. It is really a complicated process and of course the tighter the budget pool is the more important the correct percentages are assigned. Not to mention trying to manage the “expectations” of NIL deals for incoming “blue chip” recruits vs not burning bridges with your current rostered players. Lots to balance and think about outside of the X’s and O’s of coaching responsibilities and staff management. Hope Key has great General Managers who have great insight on “how to budget and spend wisely”. What are your thoughts? How would you divide your NIL budget among your team?
Whatever distribution formula is used the DL must be very high on the list. It is our most difficult position to recruit due to educational requirements.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Offense - 49%
Defense - 49%
Special Teams - 2%

Say your budget is $5m. That's $100k for ST. I'd start there and let it fluctuate based on productivity. It would likely be a range of +/- 4%.

At the end of day, if you have a kicker come through that you need to pay big time. You go to a local business that supports the team and ask them to take care of him.

My NIL would be heavily retention driven. For HS kids it would be incentive based plus base.

This soon all gets washed in when they become employees of the school next year.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
hairplugs, turnover chains, a good sports agent, and gold-plated diapers.

IMG_5355.gif

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
45% offense
45% defense
10% special teams

I really think it depends on your recruiting philosophy. Are you primarily recruiting high school players or hitting the portal every year? Are you trying to have a healthy mix? Are you trying to go after a lot of top-tier players or have only your top 10% of high school recruits be in the top 100? I'm not totally sure what mine would be, although I'll try to formulate something throughout the day today. It really is a complex issue that requires many smart minds working together to figure out.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
In an ideal situation every roster player gets the same NIL (and applies to all schools). After all it is a TEAM. I can be convenienced that there is no possibility of "ideal situation". But what we have now is chaos.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First Batt and Angel leverage the total with outside the box NIL at Gt.
Players are given play money to invest (ira style)
Of course some will select cash. Others can select a set period of time to invest in Gt start ups """AT THE GT entrepreneurial center""". These oppoerunities are set aside by gt for our athletes and position coaches.

Later they can cashout.

We did this for key employees who hoped to benefit from the eventual sale of company at time of great revenue where.
price is 7 times earning. 100 times investment. Lots of tax advantage if done over time.

"Even if just money"
i would give big percent to NFL bound WR per year. To get the WR I would grow my own ol guys and pay them when they are good. Next is growing( then paying a qb) that is master of the offense.

Got to have a guy thats open unless double covered

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like Miami may have a little less NIL money to spread around. See ESPN article about John Ruiz's company having serious financial problems. Company name is LifeWallet.

Ruiz is known as a Mega-Booster for Miami athletics.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is the best question posed in quite a while. To answer is difficult because there are so many factors involved. In general, by major category I would go:
50% Offense
50% Defense
0% ST

The reason being that most ST players are recruited or signed through the portal for O or D anyway. In my system kickers would have to earn money through performance in college, not in anticipation of that.

On offense I would probably say 10%QB, 30%OL, and 10% all other skill players combined.
On defense, 35% DL, 5%LB (fewer of them 4-2-5), 10% Secondary.

Here is the bottom line, the closer a player is to the football when it is snapped, the more they matter. In general, the recent past suggests we have had enough skill players to be competitive on both sides of the ball. However, we have all seen how being undermanned on the interior has made our otherwise solid skill players less effective. There are fewer truly nasty DLs available than any other position IMHO. We need to get our share. Not having them lowers the ceiling quite a bit. Imagine last year's team with two hostile unstoppable disruptors at the DT position. Things would have looked a lot different.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm anti-formula. Payment should be modeled after the full galaxy of parameters on a case by case, year by year basis. Pro sport teams do this all of the time. There may be some general formulas they follow, but there are exceptions all the time. They not only include production parameters, team need, position impact but also human factors like leadership, injury history, and sometimes even loyalty.

Flexibility and nimbleness in thinking will be the value of the day.

The most tricky aspect, one without a corresponding mechanism in pro sports, is high school recruiting. Pro sports have drafts, and paying rookies is pretty much slotted now. Pro sports leagues have pretty much done away with free agent negotiation for rookies.

There is presently no such system for colleges and it is to the detriment of the sport, especially now in the pay for play era. Contracts for highly rated high school recruits is a highly volatile market and quite risky. But also necessary. It lacks the stability to be viable for the long term. The situation begs reform.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Hope Key has great General Managers who have great insight on “how to budget and spend wisely”
I'm assuming this is a hypothetical situation where coaches and their staff actually have their own NIL budget and allocation ability. Right now the school is prohibited from doing so.

It has to be player-ability driven, followed by position value. That's pretty much the way it seems to be working for recruits. For example, QB's are rewarded the highest, but a player's projected ability or actual performance is by far the greatest factor. Using stars as a proxy for player capability, the formula would need to be something like this: (NIL base rate) x (position factor) x (Stars to the 4th power) = NIL $. This would more or less align with ON3's NIL valuations. I have little faith that ON3 is accurate in their NIL valuations, but they are probably directionally correct.

The reason stars are so influential is relative scarcity of players that project to be true difference-makers. A Calvin Johnson could be worth 10-20 times an average WR.