Yet another CPJ vs CGC thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have heard that but am skeptical. George and Paul had explosive O's. Gailey's teams were the exact opposite. I have heard others put forth the theory that these coaches funneled (sp?) the best athletes to one side of the ball over the other and that is the reason for the imbalance. I however am of the impression, thanks to CBR, that if you get the right assistants in place you CAN field balanced teams. Ross's staff had an eye for finding and developing talent and were not out recruiting Bama or OSU which has and always will be next to impossible for us.

Everyone since has not had the ability/luck/budget to attract the right coaching staff. I do think GOL, CCG, and CPJ had excellent football IQ's. So I think budget and commitment from above (maybe the same thing?) have kept these coaches handcuffed and therefore us in the football doldrums for the last 2 or 3 decades except for the occasional one off year here and there when the stars aligned just right. Again, just my opinon here.
I'l;l buy most of this, but I don't buy the "best athletes on one side" idea. If you look at Paul's tenure at Tech the athletes with the highest recruiting rating were usually on D. This was especially the case after Roof became DC; the guy's schemes seemed to be sporadic, but, Laws, could he recruit. I think the reason Paul's teams scored so much was that he had a set of pretty specific characteristics in mind for his O players and he went out and recruited for them. Often this meant players with lower recruiting ratings - Zenon, Searcy, Laskey, Lynch, Mills (yes, Mills), Stewart, Mason, and the list goes on - excelled in the spread option despite low "stars". Of course, his teams were better when he had a few top recruits at the main positions. The marquee players were mostly on D, however. I think his teams excelled mainly due to the spread option and having Paul to run it.

I do agree that having good assistants helps a lot. Paul's assistants on O were pretty good, but we never got that kind of leadership on D. Maybe this time.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
1. How many option OL are there still on the team?

2. We did throw the ball, enough to post back to back 9 and 11 win seasons and get DT drafted in the first round. Seems to me that worked out well for both parties. We then sent quite a few WR to the NFL despite them being low rated prospects out of high school.
Your first question is irrelevant and shows a lack of knowledge. OL typically aren't ready to play until their third year in the program. It also takes time to build recruiting relationships. So last year was the first year since we didn't have an option focused OL recruiting that we had a guy who had been in the program for 3 years--Williams.

Your second question completely misses the point. How many WR went to the NFL that Johnson recruited? There was one guy early on but he didn't last long.

But that wasn't the point. We were building a reputation for passing offense, then completely went the opposite direction. Getting top notch WR would attact top QBs that attract good OL.

Also, yes, he won 9 and 11 wins his first two years with Gailey's recruits. Then he posted a .500 FBS record for his remaining 9 years. Aggregate losing FBS record for the 4 years prior to 2014 and aggregate losing FBS record for the 4 years after. But according to most posters on this board he was a great coach. People believe what they want to believe even with the facts don't bear out the viewpoint.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
But that wasn't the point. We were building a reputation for passing offense, then completely went the opposite direction. Getting top notch WR would attact top QBs that attract good OL.
Can't believe I'm responding but I'm bored... "we were building a reputation for passing?" LOL. Like when we had God himself playing WR and literally wouldn't throw him the ball vs. UGA or ND?
Also, yes, he won 9 and 11 wins his first two years with Gailey's recruits. Then he posted a .500 FBS record for his remaining 9 years. Aggregate losing FBS record for the 4 years prior to 2014 and aggregate losing FBS record for the 4 years after. But according to most posters on this board he was a great coach. People believe what they want to believe even with the facts don't bear out the viewpoint.
Yeah, but how was he in non-ACC games before November, in odd years, in the rain, when wearing gold jerseys, accounting for SOS, against the spread?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Johnson was tenacious enough and knew his offense so well that we would be go bowling almost every year. I also think the talent gap between GT and certainly Clemson and UGA significantly widened the last few years (and obviously now). But I don't think Johnson today would get us to an Orange Bowl, ACC Championship Game or 10+ win season with the restrictions on blocking (huge issue and clearly a shot at 3O), GT academics and now the burden of NIL. But to think anyone else is going to do far better (or even as good) is a complete unknown at this point. I think Johnson clearly deserves credit for his record at GT. But to blame him for ongoing issues in football on year 5 just isn't realistic. Our last head coach caused substantially more damage.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Where did I say that we should make a hire based on one player? Can't read I see.
Let me explain what you apparently can't comprehend. We were building a reputation for passing offense, then completely went the opposite direction. Getting top notch WR would attact top QBs that attract good OL. Instead we were attracting FCS level players that led us to the mediocre (or worse) records that Johnson achieved for most of his last 9 years. Then he left behind talent on offense that wasn't suited for any other offense (your can't comprehend your own message, either) and pretty much an empty cupboard on D.
So explain why he was a good hire.

You literally said “We had D. Thomas on the roster and hired PJ.” And please provide our passing offense stats under Gailey and show me where anyone with a brain considered us to be a heavy pass offense. Here I’ll help

2005: We averaged 18 ppg Reggie Had 11 TDS vs 12 INTs and threw for 2,000 yards

2006: With the greatest WR in the history of Tech we threw for 1,800 yards 20 TDs vs 14 INTs

2007: Taylor Bennett threw for 2100 yards and had 7 TDs vs 9 INts and we rushed for 199 ypg.

You should really not discuss football ever again

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, we are entering year 5 after Johnson and his anemic coaching. It’s amazing how GT football has taken off with coaches who tailored their offense to the new rules regarding blocking, NIL, and closing the gap between us, UGA, and Clemson. I know I’ve highly enjoyed watching this new era of GT football. I just hope UGA’s future OC understands the new rules unlike Johnson.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Well, we are entering year 5 after Johnson and his anemic coaching. It’s amazing how GT football has taken off with coaches who tailored their offense to the new rules regarding blocking, NIL, and closing the gap between us, UGA, and Clemson. I know I’ve highly enjoyed watching this new era of GT football. I just hope UGA’s future OC understands the new rules unlike Johnson.

I’ve really enjoyed our high flying offenses since Johnson left. Who cares if we score! Jeff Sims was a monster who had less career touchdown passes than our 5’9 Justin Thomas.