Yesterday's Interview with Coach Bobby Ross

OTBMike

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if any of you listen to the guys at BuzzTalk but they did an amazing interview with Coach Bobby Ross on yesterday's show. Here's a link to their archive:

www.buzztalk.podbean.com

Couple of points, I didn't realize he coached two hall of famers in the NFL and didn't realize how tough things were for him when he took over the job at GT. He goes into intimate details of how he got things in the right direction and his views on Paul Johnson today. Absolute great listen...not sure how these guys got him on their show but I was pretty impressed with their line of questions.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
He must have gotten rejected from covering ND and got stuck with us. He does some decent write ups, but I cannot stand to listen to him speak. I am not saying he should proclaim we are going to win Saturday, but he could at least acknowledge we are close to par with ND. I do not think they have proven anything with their schedule yet. They have good players, but we do too. Kelly seems to think we would need a miracle to beat ND, I just do not see anything that leads me to believe that is the case. I expect a close but winnable game for us.

He must have gotten rejected from covering ND and got stuck with us. He does some decent write ups, but I cannot stand to listen to him speak. I am not saying he should proclaim we are going to win Saturday, but he could at least acknowledge we are close to par with ND. I do not think they have proven anything with their schedule yet. They have good players, but we do too. Kelly seems to think we would need a miracle to beat ND, I just do not see anything that leads me to believe that is the case. I expect a close but winnable game for us.
Who exactly is he? Why does this moron get credit for anything.

OTBMike

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought Kelly might have simply been echoing what he's heard in the locker room. But from where I sit, if the average person looks at ND's body of work vs. GT's body of work, I don't know how in the heck you could feel down about our chances. It's like Ole Miss has pounded two teams and Bama has been tested but nobody is going into that game thinking Bama has it locked up and they are, well, Bama!

The other guy on the show pushed back on Kelly but hey, don't worry, everyone will be on the band wagon when GT takes care of biz on Saturday.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Kelly Quinlan used to be a sports talk radio host. Then he became a writer. He used to cover a lot of SEC teams and still has some SEC bias IMO. I am not sure how he started covering GT. He has done some decent stories on individual players, but that is all that he has written that I actually thought much of.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Great interview with Ross!! Thanks @GTsuperfan etc

Kelly's not great on GT football. Unless I'm completely mistaken, his comments about Justin missing receiver targets was off. Every pass play has a progression of targets. As I understand it, while it is true that JT did not always make his progression correctly last year, you throw the pass when your #1 target is open. You don't go thru your progression to see if another guy is more open.

The more you can get Kelly to give recruiting insights for free though is cool.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great interview with Ross!! Thanks @GTsuperfan etc

Kelly's not great on GT football. Unless I'm completely mistaken, his comments about Justin missing receiver targets was off. Every pass play has a progression of targets. As I understand it, while it is true that JT did not always make his progression correctly last year, you throw the pass when your #1 target is open. You don't go thru your progression to see if another guy is more open.

The more you can get Kelly to give recruiting insights for free though is cool.
I think Kelly was spot on when talking about JT not seeing the Aback routes in the seam last year. Iirc, he actually complimented him on improving that aspect of his game so far this year.

If you are referring to the td pass Waller caught in the OB with the db draped all over him while we had an Aback running free up the middle, I don't know how you can say JT didn't miss one there other than we scored on it. Tough catch vs super easy catch, I'd throw to the super easy catch, myself.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
I ate dinner with Kelly after the Ole Miss bowl game in Nasville. Only time I've met him. Seemed like a nice guy. Used to write for the Marietta Journal, I think he said. He owns the rights to the GT Rivals site, I think he said, and the more subscriptions he gets the more income. And he's a freelance writer.

He thought GT was at a disadvantage financially, academically, and conference wise (he went to uGA). Didn't think Vad was transferring. He said he had helped steer GT towards a couple of high school players that we ended up signing.

He wants GT to do well. The better the team, the more interest, the better his site will do. He really enjoys the recruiting process and good relations with the coaches. Overall a plus, I think

Thought he sounded like a defeatist in the interview, myself..

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member