Year Two:

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't look at any game on the schedule is unwinnable. The closest might be the UGA game, just because of the roster they have. But we showed last year that we can stay in a game with them.

Key's teams play hard for 60 minutes. That's why we came back and beat UNC and Miami. It's why we pulled away from Syracuse late. It's why we dominated UCF in the 2nd half and pulled away. And it's why we came within one score of UGA. Our guys don't give up.

I honestly don't expect 12-0. But we have a shot in all of our games.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I've always believed 'Year 2' is when a coach shows you what they can do. Their system is in. The roster is theirs, if not fully developed with 'their recruits'. But it's their program and you see what it's really going to look like.

All of the above were great coaches who broke out in year 2. Our previous coach showed no progress in year 2 and that was how his tenure ended up. Chan went 7-6 and... well. O'Leary, went 5-6 against a tough schedule. But showed progress continuing to rebuild what his predecessor broke.

I believe Coach Key is a very good coach. He seems to have very strong leadership and motivational qualities. The way the team responded in his interim year was extremely impressive. As was the job he did last season. (Most outside prognosticators expected 3-4 wins.) His main weakness, as I see it, is in the tactical. His game management needs improvement, but that will likely come with experience. He's not an accomplished OC or DC, an Xs&Os genius. But that's ok, because he seems to be an excellent recruiter of quality assistants. He knows how a good football program should run and he has the aptitude to implement it.

I predict we're going to see a well-prepared, motivated, and tough football team every week. I think we will do the fundamental things well - good technique in tackling and blocking, limit turnovers and penalties, play through the whistle and at least 'do no harm' on special teams. Which, any football team at any level that does those things will be pretty good. Key inherited a program that was terrible at those things. Last year, the team massively improved in these areas from prior seasons, especially as the season went along. I expect to see further improvement this year. There will be days when our talent and depth just aren't enough. But there will be days when our team is better than the sum of its parts and surprises some folks.
Paul is the only coach who fully showed his identity in year one. And he built on that in ‘09.

Excited to see what Key can accomplish in year two!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ooh, ohh, now do Jeff Collins.

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV
animal cruelty i love animals GIF by Chippy the Dog

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Key, by any measure, is ahead of schedule in Year 2.

If you look at GT coaches that were in similar situations since the late 80's/early 90's (basically inheriting a program that needed rebuilding), most coaches took 2-3 years to win enough games (6 wins) to be bowl eligible. Curry took 2 seasons, Ross took 3 seasons, O'Leary took 2 seasons, Key took 1 season...if you want to include his interim time, then 1.5 seasons. You can also make the argument that Key's interim time is one of the best jobs a GT HC has done given the roster and the behind the scenes mess he had to clean up. Key still has not had a losing year under his watch. He went 4-4 has the interim coach, and 7-6 his first full season.

Lewis, Gailey, Johnson, and Collins all inherited winning programs. Gailey and Johnson continued GT's winning, while Lewis and Collins left a huge mess for the next coach to clean up.

Point is, what Key did was uncommon, and if you're a GT fan, you should be very happy with the direction Key is taking this program. Not only has he stabilized our football program, he's setting it up to be one of the programs in college football that will always have a winning season and be a pain for our opponents to play against. He is in the rare situation where there's perfect alignment with the school president, AD, and donors. If you know GT, that is VERY VERY rare.

Year 2 should be fun. I don't buy too much about "tough schedule" because every season some teams just don't live up to their preseason hype, and other teams come out of nowhere to be better than expected. You just don't know until the games are played. GT will definitely be one of the teams that will be better than expected.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow

If you look at GT coaches that were in similar situations since the late 80's/early 90's (basically inheriting a program that needed rebuilding), most coaches took 2-3 years to win enough games (6 wins) to be bowl eligible. Curry took 2 seasons, Ross took 3 seasons, O'Leary took 2 seasons, Key took 1 season...if you want to include his interim time, then 1.5 seasons. You can also make the argument that Key's interim time is one of the best jobs a GT HC has done given the roster and the behind the scenes mess he had to clean up. Key still has not had a losing year under his watch. He went 4-4 has the interim coach, and 7-6 his first full season.

Lewis, Gailey, Johnson, and Collins all inherited winning programs. Gailey and Johnson continued GT's winning, while Lewis and Collins left a huge mess for the next coach to clean up.

Point is, what Key did was uncommon, and if you're a GT fan, you should be very happy with the direction Key is taking this program. Not only has he stabilized our football program, he's setting it up to be one of the programs in college football that will always have a winning season and be a pain for our opponents to play against. He is in the rare situation where there's perfect alignment with the school president, AD, and donors. If you know GT, that is VERY VERY rare.

Year 2 should be fun. I don't buy too much about "tough schedule" because every season some teams just don't live up to their preseason hype, and other teams come out of nowhere to be better than expected. You just don't know until the games are played. GT will definitely be one of the teams that will be better than expected.
I agree with your assessment of CBK. Slight correction, it was Curry’s third year to get 6 wins, and his sixth to actually get to a bowl.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your assessment of CBK. Slight correction, it was Curry’s third year to get 6 wins, and his sixth to actually get to a bowl.

Ah! You sir, are correct...I missed when Curry coached GT during the Independent years.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m trying not to look too far ahead and think we’re 3-2 going into the bye week.

And we’ll probably do so in the most Tech way possible… something like WLLWW

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We likely lose to FSU. How we respond will say a lot about the season. Our defense was dreadful the last several seasons and looks only marginally Improved this year. New coaches hopefully help. Still players need to make plays on defense. Not sure we have very many defensive playmakers right now.

RB is a big concern behind Haynes. He and Smith as a combination were very good last year. Replacing a very good 5th year senior will be difficult. Hopefully one of the young guys steps up. No way to know yet.

As always GT’s quality depth is a potential issue. Getting better there but not to the level of our top opponents.

FSU will be a good team this year. They will miss Travis for sure. They have lots of studs elsewhere. How they respond from the end of last season will be very interesting.
yep--I also think INJURIES are a key.Last yr we were lucky.Lose key guys and things go south fast.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Please Lord don’t let us lose to GA State!
I wish I could say, with confidence, that those days are behind us. We are less than a year removed from losing to Bowling f'ing Green - I hope this staff doesn't let the team forget that. Ga State should be an easy W, but we aren't at that point where we can pencil anyone in as a W.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m just very afraid of that first game. A defeat would demoralize our fan base, which is so optimistic right now. I would LOVE for us to start strong and for an enthusiastic fan base being in Bobby Dodd for every home game.
I don’t think a defeat demoralizes the fan base. FSU is considered to be very good right now, and we’re 2 TD underdogs. I think we’re going to win, but if we compete and stay with 7 I think it can be spun as a positive

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m just saying we went 1-1 during the two game stretch of Bowling Green and Miami. 1-1 was the most likely outcome but we did it the Tech way and maximized beer sales… then repeated with Boston College and UNC.

We theoretically can both defeat u(sic)ga and lose to GaSt in the same season.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

Good post, I think you’re spot on