WTF happened...sorta rant

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was never a big fan of Roof - his first stint as DC didn't instill any confidence in me. That said i'm not convinced anymore that changing DC will matter. Look at CPJ's history, there are very few solid defensive squads among his programs - going all the way back to GSU. It just seems like either he really doesn't care that much about it or there actually is something to the idea that his offense somehow is a negative to having a good defense. 8 yrs of data points start to become hard to refute. His only good defense at GT was the very first one - when we still had Gailey/Tenuta players. The other 7 have ranged from below average to horrendous.

The reason it's hard to remember an implosion like this is because it has only happened once before in GT history (1928-1929) - that is the last time GT had a -7 win total season over season.
In general big falls in win totals have not been followed by large win increases immediately. The biggest turnaround was going from a -4 win total (1993-1994) to a +5 (1994-1995) as he who should not be named was replaced with O'Leary.

Looking at years with -5 win drops, the general outcome the next year ranged from no win total change to about +3.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is that this season is done, yeah it would be awesome if we win against UGA. Ill be there and so should everyone else. I just don't want to see another red out at our own stadium again. However with that said there is a pretty slim chance the CPJ will be let go this season, so right now he probably has the biggest test of his career in righting this ship. Big changes need to be made in some of his staff and like others have said he needs to expand his playbook. I really hope JT is good to go next week, and I hope he can come back as our go to QB next year. Even with what CPJ said at the beginning of the season that we were not that good, I would have never thought it would be this bad. Regression is never a good sign and that is what is happening

"Even with what CPJ said at the beginning of the season that we were not that good, I would have never thought it would be this bad. Regression is never a good sign and that is what is happening"

How is that possible in year 8 of his time at GT? He has complete control of the program. He brings in players he wants. He's hired all the coaches. So basically he is saying I'm not a good manager of this program. I can do OK with someone else's players, but when I have all my players in the program we will suck donkey balls. My biggest problem is this is year 8 and we are worse than we were in year 1. No acceptable.

If I had to assign a probability to beating UGA I would put it in the 1% range, maybe lower if JT is hurt.

The only WTF I have relates to the offensive line. All of our others woes are pretty easily explained by youth and injury. Unfortunately the only fix is time. We need guys to get healthy and more experience.
The cold hard fact is Justin Thomas has become a liability. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he is hurt and has been hurt for a while. He does not give us the best chance for success at present.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Even in his presser yesterday CPJ said he didn't have the answers. Injuries aside, I think the healthy kids are just physically and mentally drained from this season. That or our coaches really aren't teaching them well. No excuses for forgetting the basics during the game. I will give him some benefit due to all the injuries, but everything else is on him and the rest of the staff, and he will admit that. Like I said above probably isn't going anywhere, and its on him to right this ship.

"Even with what CPJ said at the beginning of the season that we were not that good, I would have never thought it would be this bad. Regression is never a good sign and that is what is happening"

How is that possible in year 8 of his time at GT? He has complete control of the program. He brings in players he wants. He's hired all the coaches. So basically he is saying I'm not a good manager of this program. I can do OK with someone else's players, but when I have all my players in the program we will suck donkey balls. My biggest problem is this is year 8 and we are worse than we were in year 1. No acceptable.
If the coach was savvy enough to evaluate the team accurately before the season started, and recognized some of the flaws, then how bad of a situation is it that the same coaching staff cannot fix things? No, not even "fix" things--just stop some of the bleeding? The entire situation has careened downhill since the Notre Dame game, and has gotten progressively worse. Injuries, yes we have had injuries that helped things disintergrate. But if you see the problems FROM THE GET-GO, is there nothing to be done to get even the slightest bit competitive? It is certainly a WTF season, I will agree with that.

Lest you have forgotten, he was severely limited in recruiting numbers because of probationary limitations, and two very weak years of recruiting is bound to catch up with anybody sooner or later. With last year's recruiting class (the first FULL one he has had), and what looks to be another good one (though small in number) this year, we will only now begin to see what he can do with a COMPLETE team made up of his own players.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
The last time that I can remember going this bad in one year - and it isn't nearly the drop off we've seen - is from 1975 to 1976. Not sure what happened. I think we went 7-4 (can you young guys believe it? no bowl with that ) in 1975. In 1976 we had some injuries to deal with - I think Eddie Lee - and some promising new talent in a Freshman QB that did not pan out. We had the big win from out of nowhere beating ND at Grant Field. But we ended up losing many stupid games. We played a tough schedule then as well - with No.1 Pitt, Notre Dame and the mutts highly ranked. We ended up 4-6-1.
But here is something, we came within a ridiculously ill timed fumble late of pulling that one out against the dawns. We almost won.
So who knows about this one.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This has been the worst year since 1994... I only hope that the 2014 class will have leaders step up next year....If so we will be ok... If not it is going to be a long season again...

Lest you have forgotten, he was severely limited in recruiting numbers because of probationary limitations, and two very weak years of recruiting is bound to catch up with anybody sooner or later. With last year's recruiting class (the first FULL one he has had), and what looks to be another good one (though small in number) this year, we will only now begin to see what he can do with a COMPLETE team made up of his own players.
That thought process is why we SUCK. He has had 8 years and you're still making excuses he hasn't had time to get all his players in the system. How long does he need, 10 years oh wait lets give him 20. Maybe by then he'll have it figured out. Supersize that is the funniest thing I've heard today. I'll give you that.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
All of the players are. So you would approve if every player looked like they would rather be somewhere else? That'd look great!

How was your body language during the game? I know I was not having a good time. If I were them I doubt I would have a smile on my face, and if someone came up to me and tried to give some Tim Tebowesque pep talk while our third stringers are getting their asses handed to them I would probably just roll my eyes. Due to injuries and youth we have been physically dominated, and I doubt the presence of strong player leadership could have overcome all the challenges this season presented. It will get better, but blaming any one player for the position we are in is ridiculous.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
The cold hard fact is Justin Thomas has become a liability. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he is hurt and has been hurt for a while. He does not give us the best chance for success at present.

Vince Young could have been our QB this year and I doubt the results would have been much better. The supporting cast is too bad to call Justin a liability.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is not stellar or above reproach.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 94

GTFLETCH

Banned

I agree, and what is even more mind boggling is that the OLINE play with all the RS Seniors.... I think we know why they were not playing that much in previous seasons.... What is interesting is that they have not benched those guys and allowed Gary Brown, Jake Stickler and others play more....