Working out - Fitness series

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’ve recently gotten back into rowing (never rowed on the water but have used ergs off and on for the last 20 years at gyms and bought a Hydrow a few years back in the throves of Covid lockdowns).

Was curious if anyone else has a Hydrow, and also what you all do workout programming wise.

I’ve set a meter goal for the end of the year so am pretty focused on hitting 4,000-8,000 M a day but once I finish the goal (probably mid-Novemberish) I am planning on adding in some strength training to spice it up and break some of the monotony of rowing every day.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually joined a rowing club last year and get out on the water once or twice a week. I like having a coach to guide me and point out the flaws.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I actually joined a rowing club last year and get out on the water once or twice a week. I like having a coach to guide me and point out the flaws.
Very cool - I’ve got a local master rowing boathouse 15 minutes from me and I plan to sign up once the kids are a little older (and it won’t be such a time commitment to drive both ways plus spend 30-60 minutes on the water).

@TampaBuzz are you training for an event or focusing on overall ability?

I have sailed for the last 20 years both recreationally and competitively so I’m really looking forward to getting back into another team sport on the water.

Also can’t wait to introduce my two kids to committed effort on the water. When you’re responsible for your output but have to hope for some luck with the outcome.

You can plan the right line or approach then watch the breeze or tide or rain or whatever take it away. Once that happens you’re still going to have to drive to finish. That’s a welcome life lesson for us.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve been back running again—six or more miles four times a week. I'm going in the opposite direction of AUFC—trying to shed a few pounds.

I have a power rack, but it’s tricky to run that long and that often and still have enough time to lift much.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
@TampaBuzz are you training for an event or focusing on overall ability?
I row for exercise only right now. The club competes in several regattas a year, but I have not gone that route yet. Not enough stamina for this out of shape dude.

Sailing is great. I crew on a 35 footer that races every week during daylight savings. We also do the occasional distance race. Having fun introducing my pre-teen to the sport.