Wizard's First Rule and GT Football: The Trials and Tribulations of Being a Fan

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, I mentioned this in a thread and most probably passed on it, thinking it was some geeking thing. It probably is, since it's from a Fantasy-genre novel. It was Terry Goodkind's debut novel and 10 weeks after he wrote it he was offered $275k for the rights to publish. It's a bit derivative, but it was entertaining when I read it back in the mid 90's. It might be Goodkind's attempt at a pseudo-philosophical novel in the vein of Ayn Rand. The sequels aren't nearly as good and there are other issues, but that's neither here nor there in a GT Football thread.

What is the Wizard's First Rule? It's simple. It's how wizards controlled the people in the story.

People are stupid. They don't care about the truth. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it's true or because they're afraid it's true.

Why is this relevant here? Because both sides of every argument/discussion I read on this site are governed by this rule. The problem is that both sides are arguing the rule applies to those they're arguing with, while it can be equally applied to both sides.

How do we stop being stupid? I don't have the full answer, but it probably starts by opening our minds to each other and not trying to convince someone that "we're right and you're wrong." As our former coach was apt to say, it's never as good or bad as it seems at the moment.

We're getting better. This season is better than last season. Last season was better than the one before that. Right now it doesn't matter if we're trying to scratch our way back to where we ended with the last regime. We need to focus on forward, not backward. Our young players are getting a ton of experience. That's why those that played last year are better this year. It works that way. Our trajectory is not linear. We're growing in fits and starts. So, a bad game by our young QB should be anticipated.

Today was a cluster, all around. Yet, despite the refs (who absolutely changed the complexion of the game with their one-sided calls), we almost won. No moral victories. We lost and losing sucks. But This team has some really special talent and getting more talented each class.

So, you can choose to be negative and continue to drag our program, players, coaches, and administration down if you want, but I'm going to put you on ignore because I think we're going to be really good soon and I don't need your negativity. And that's too bad because I think many of you have some really interesting things to say.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
season 3 starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
People are stupid. They don't care about the truth. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it's true or because they're afraid it's true.
Thucydides said it better:

"Their judgment was based more on wishful thinking than on a sound calculation of chances; for the usual thing among men is that when they want something they will, without any reflection, leave that to hope, while they will employ the full force of reason in rejecting what they find unpalatable."

That this is ~ 2500 years old tells you something about human beings.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I mentioned this in a thread and most probably passed on it, thinking it was some geeking thing. It probably is, since it's from a Fantasy-genre novel. It was Terry Goodkind's debut novel and 10 weeks after he wrote it he was offered $275k for the rights to publish. It's a bit derivative, but it was entertaining when I read it back in the mid 90's. It might be Goodkind's attempt at a pseudo-philosophical novel in the vein of Ayn Rand. The sequels aren't nearly as good and there are other issues, but that's neither here nor there in a GT Football thread.

What is the Wizard's First Rule? It's simple. It's how wizards controlled the people in the story.

Why is this relevant here? Because both sides of every argument/discussion I read on this site are governed by this rule. The problem is that both sides are arguing the rule applies to those they're arguing with, while it can be equally applied to both sides.

How do we stop being stupid? I don't have the full answer, but it probably starts by opening our minds to each other and not trying to convince someone that "we're right and you're wrong." As our former coach was apt to say, it's never as good or bad as it seems at the moment.

We're getting better. This season is better than last season. Last season was better than the one before that. Right now it doesn't matter if we're trying to scratch our way back to where we ended with the last regime. We need to focus on forward, not backward. Our young players are getting a ton of experience. That's why those that played last year are better this year. It works that way. Our trajectory is not linear. We're growing in fits and starts. So, a bad game by our young QB should be anticipated.

Today was a cluster, all around. Yet, despite the refs (who absolutely changed the complexion of the game with their one-sided calls), we almost won. No moral victories. We lost and losing sucks. But This team has some really special talent and getting more talented each class.

So, you can choose to be negative and continue to drag our program, players, coaches, and administration down if you want, but I'm going to put you on ignore because I think we're going to be really good soon and I don't need your negativity. And that's too bad because I think many of you have some really interesting things to say.
When you look @ coaches like dave Clawson @ wake or other good coaches you’ll always notice their first year at a school they’ll win 2,3 games , their 2nd year maybe 4,5, and then by year 3 their maybe around .500, but it’s not been that way with Collins , I agree there’s been a little improvement but it’s not what you should see in year 3!! It’s all about winning & we’re not doing it : and these are not great teams we’re losing to . To me that’s what is so frustrating: Clemson is way down & the league isn’t that tough & we’re not competing . If we had a decent team we could’ve won 8-10 this year

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

Truth is we’re heading for another 3 win season

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I will admit. As much as this season has sucked. And the past two as well. I see some progress all around. We have glimmers of promise in every game. Our Offense is getting more yards per game. Our defense is slowly coming together and making big turnovers and causing “chaos”. Our special teams can now hit Field Goals.

We have so much potential, and it shows. But it’s an idea of refinement. A hunk of iron ore is worth very little. But if you smelt it, cut it up, and turn it into watch springs, that small hunk of ore becomes quite literally infinitely more valuable than its original form. But a lot of people dont wanna put in effort to refine it. They see the value of the spring and expect it from the ores.

In the same way, a lot of our fans see the 4 stars and High recruiting classes and expect to be 9-3 10-2 out of the gate. While I admit I was even expecting more out of the team than this and am very disappointed, you can’t say they aren’t getting better day by day.

I have learned 2 things as a Tech student. 1. Nothing comes easy And 2. It makes accomplishing things that much better. Even football and other sports included. If you look at all of our sports. No team has ever been good every year they played. Every team has to suck. But I hope one day we can look back when our players are winning national awards and getting drafted and we can say “remember when they weren’t this good? I’m so happy of their progress and where they’ve gone”.

Life is lived with ups and downs. It’s what makes it enjoyable.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m more optimistic CGC will turn it around. Recruiting is better just have to be patient and let a lot of these guys mature and keep adding talent. Alot of areas are improving and GT is competing -hopefully next year additional improvement will bring us more Ws. My biggest disappointment is lack of improvement with the defense. BTW I am a fan of CPJ and CGC and hope he can get the job done.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Thucydides said it better:

"Their judgment was based more on wishful thinking than on a sound calculation of chances; for the usual thing among men is that when they want something they will, without any reflection, leave that to hope, while they will employ the full force of reason in rejecting what they find unpalatable."

That this is ~ 2500 years old tells you something about human beings.
Didn’t he also say something like “the strong do what they want to do & the weak accept what they have to accept”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t he also say something like “the strong do what they want to do & the weak accept what they have to accept”
Yes. It's in the so-called Melian dialogue. It's full of stuff like that. Here it is in full:

“For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.”
― Thucydides The History of the Peloponnesian War Melian Dialogue

Exactly the kind of thinking that got us involved in Iraq and Afghanistan, iow.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been watching for a way shorter amount of time then most being only 22. I’m accustomed to head scratching losses and mediocre seasons, but the level of distain from these last 3 years has really turned me off as a fan. Tech football was one of the main sources for excitement and happiness for me for a long time but here recently it just seems like a task for me to watch and care. It’s almost like I do it because it’s what i’ve always done, my excitement and passion is almost gone. Even winning the UNC game didn’t bring the same level as it should’ve and used to. I just can’t stand watching us at this level of Suckyness. It was time for Paul to go, but I never thought we would reach this level.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Even when Curry's first teams were so terrible at least he made sense when talking football to the common football fan. I wasn't a big Curry fan, but you got a glimmer of hope during his time period. I'll be at the last two home games to support the program, but frankly it's another football season I wish was over with. I'll be there next year too. I wish we had a leader that could inspire the fan base, that could convince us that we're headed in the right direction and that everything we've done was correct.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m very, very optimistic CGC will turn it around, and by turning it around, I mean averaging 7-8 wins. We just are never going to beat UGA and Clemson much and will be on par with most other ACC teams.

A team will eventually end up about where its recruiting rankings are. CPJ was able to slightly exceed this due to his unique system and football smarts. CGC does need to tweak his style, system and coaches some to improve results. I am confident he will.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The bolded line reminds me of a quote attributed to George Carlin. "Think how stupid the average guy is, then remember half of 'em are dumber than him."

Steamwhistle, I'm at the other end. I've been around a long, long time. You will experience many years like these but there will be some surprisingly good years. It would be nice if we ever reach another good period to keep the coach and the recruiting and have it last awhile.

Thanks, forensic, for reminding us that there are glimmers of hope.