Will we see BlackStrain the few games?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins had stated in pressers the last Weeks that he’s been development player on offense the last 4 weeks in a row. I hope that means will see him the last two games to get him reps for next year. He still can keep his redshirt.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Even with all that being the case he's still got the likes of Kyric McGowan, Malachi Carter, Adonicas Sanders, Nate McCollum, Peje Harris, Kalani Norris in front of him

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

Receiving​

PLAYER
GP
REC
YDS
AVG
TD
Jahmyr Gibbs RB103446913.82
Malachi Carter WR103446013.52
Kyric McGowan WR93144414.37
Adonicas Sanders WR92634213.23
Kalani Norris WR8813416.82

Gibbs is leading the team in receiving yards and is tied for the lead in receptions with Carter (along with leading the team in rushing yards.Yeah, he's awesome). McGowan has a done a great job finding the end zone and has definitely lived up to expectations. Sanders has been dependable. Outside of Kalani Norris, no other receiver has more than 100 yards.

Compare that with a team like North Carolina, where Josh Downs has over 1100 yards receiving, or Jordan Addison of Pitt (1070) or even Wake with two receivers over 800 yards. There's still an opportunity for someone to show they can be that breakout guy.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Receiving​

PLAYERGPRECYDSAVGTD
Jahmyr Gibbs RB103446913.82
Malachi Carter WR103446013.52
Kyric McGowan WR93144414.37
Adonicas Sanders WR92634213.23
Kalani Norris WR8813416.82

Gibbs is leading the team in receiving yards and is tied for the lead in receptions with Carter (along with leading the team in rushing yards.Yeah, he's awesome). McGowan has a done a great job finding the end zone and has definitely lived up to expectations. Sanders has been dependable. Outside of Kalani Norris, no other receiver has more than 100 yards.

Compare that with a team like North Carolina, where Josh Downs has over 1100 yards receiving, or Jordan Addison of Pitt (1070) or even Wake with two receivers over 800 yards. There's still an opportunity for someone to show they can be that breakout guy.
Just spitballing here...do we have an issue with guys not getting open/separation or a lack of pocket for the QB to sit in to develop his rhythm. To me, it seems like both.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We do not use our TE very much. Maybe they are not great at catching a football. We will see how a TE should be used this weekend.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
We do not use our TE very much. Maybe they are not great at catching a football. We will see how a TE should be used this weekend.
Considering the position wasn't under Paul Johnson and we're rebuilding it from scratch, that isn't exactly a revelation. Good tight ends that can block and catch are commodities and are in high demand. We're still young at that position as well.
Just spitballing here...do we have an issue with guys not getting open/separation or a lack of pocket for the QB to sit in to develop his rhythm. To me, it seems like both.
Not a football genius here, but outside of Gibbs there don't seem to have a playmaker on offense that a team really has to scheme around, and who can make things happen even when plays break down. Which puts more reliance on calling the right plays against the right defense looks, making good post-snap decisions, and protection holding up.

Now this isn't universal, some teams believe in "weapons" and getting them the ball, others believe the ball will find the playmakers: http://smartfootball.com/gameplanni...-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense#

slugboy

Staff member
Considering the position wasn't under Paul Johnson and we're rebuilding it from scratch, that isn't exactly a revelation. Good tight ends that can block and catch are commodities and are in high demand. We're still young at that position as well.

Not a football genius here, but outside of Gibbs there don't seem to have a playmaker on offense that a team really has to scheme around, and who can make things happen even when plays break down. Which puts more reliance on calling the right plays against the right defense looks, making good post-snap decisions, and protection holding up.

Now this isn't universal, some teams believe in "weapons" and getting them the ball, others believe the ball will find the playmakers: http://smartfootball.com/gameplanni...-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense#
I love a good Smart Football article. He’s had a book out for a while

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs was saying BC was double covering him and what he had to do to get open. Somebody else was open. Every team is giving him lots of attention. I hope we are throwing opposite side when they do but he is magic at times in the open field.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Our top TEs are in their 3rd year at Tech right now. They should be capable of factoring into the offense as additional targets for the defense to pay attention to at the very least.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

Gibbs is the only home run threat, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have guys that can’t get open.

McGowan is a good athlete, who runs good routes, and knows the game. He can find soft spots in zones and has been running free a lot.

The WR position isn’t the issue IMO. It’s the OL more than anything. Sure play calling could be better and having a more experienced QB or an Elite WR wouldn’t hurt, but that’s not our problem. It’s primarily the inability to protect our QB.

I’m hopeful Blackburn will be fully recovered and ready to play next year. He should be a matchup nightmare. Hoping he ends up being like Pitts at UF.

I also think we need to get Sanders the ball more. He seems to make things happen when we go his way.

Lastly, I know he’s only played in maybe 1 game, but I really liked what I saw from Rutherford. He always seemed like he was open and is slippery. Obviously undersized, but a good weapon in the slot.