Will the Secondary be Better in 2022?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Binion over at FTRS looked at the defense

Yes, a defensive backfield performs better when there’s havoc up front, but our backfield’s performance isn’t explained by our front 6. It’s just as arguable that the front 6 would get more sacks if we had covered for a little longer.

Against UVA and Pitt, their receivers were getting open fast. It would have taken a fantastic pass rush to got to the QB before someone came open

If our DBs improve, it’s because of new players and new coaching
When covid hit, we moved to upper deck so I could watch wr and dB play.

When we went out for a pass, their dB were in right place.. Our wrs got very little separation until 7 seconds after snap.

When we were on defense our dB could not keep close. Seems like if the first guy targeted by qb was not open at 2 seconds , the next guy was and pass was one way at 4-5 seconds.

The next year 21, we moved back down lower. Coverage up close seemed a little better, but the good qbs sliced us up and our deep coverage was very bad.

I think we will be way better at wr and db and dl.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I try not to be over critical but we had secodary problems that were somewhat inexcuseable 1) Miscommunication was terrible - there were so many times that opposing receivers ran free with no one guarding them 2) our starting safeties were linebackers - too slow and 3) Somehow we took a good cornerback and coached him into being bad - Swilling.
I have a lot of hope it will be better this year with better communications, faster safeties along with Walton who is not bad.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I try not to be over critical but we had secodary problems that were somewhat inexcuseable 1) Miscommunication was terrible - there were so many times that opposing receivers ran free with no one guarding them 2) our starting safeties were linebackers - too slow and 3) Somehow we took a good cornerback and coached him into being bad - Swilling.
I have a lot of hope it will be better this year with better communications, faster safeties along with Walton who is not bad.
At end of last year Andy Mac and Rivals Kelly Q said that Thomas was fast enough to play safety.

That leaves COACHING.

On the recent interviews I have heard emphasis on not just telling the players what to do - being sure they understand.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
At end of last year Andy Mac and Rivals Kelly Q said that Thomas was fast enough to play safety.

That leaves COACHING.

On the recent interviews I have heard emphasis on not just telling the players what to do - being sure they understand.
Maybe Thomas was and just bad coaching - interesting to hear that

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Man what a letdown swilling was. I had high hopes from him after his freshman season. After that, it seemed his attitude was terrible and the coaching blunders didn’t help.

I hope Walton is our new guy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Man what a letdown swilling was. I had high hopes from him after his freshman season. After that, it seemed his attitude was terrible and the coaching blunders didn’t help.

I hope Walton is our new guy.
And yet Tre Swilling signed a UDFA contract with the Tennessee Titans. Must've been the coaching blunders.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And yet Tre Swilling signed a UDFA contract with the Tennessee Titans. Must've been the coaching blunders.

From the article:
"Swilling got to see action and notched a couple of tackles in his NFL debut..."

"Swilling never quite got it going at Georgia Tech, but he has the size and measurables to be an effective player in the NFL with the proper development and coaching. The Titans have a strong defensive staff and that could prove to be the difference for Swilling in training camp."

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/players-roster/tre-swilling/

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So all you need is "size and measurables". No ability required. Right.

It's more than obvious that his coaching was horrendous.
That’s certainly not all you need to play in the NFL, but it can be a differentiator. You can’t teach size, and the NFL isn’t going to spend time developing measurables. So you have 2 guys with the same skills, the one with the better measurables is getting taken 9 times out of 10.

I’m in no way defending the secondary coaching for the last 3 years. But a good player can overcome bad coaching. I’m just saying that signing as a UDFA can have very little to do with your skill set, and a lot to do with your measurables.

JacketFan137

Banned
Even if he doesn't ultimately make the roster, just being offered a UDFA contract is testament to his ability.
give it a rest. you bring this up in so many threads regardless of the context. if you’re a guy that plays 4 years on a p5 school and have halfway decent measurables you’ll get a camp invite.

he was certainly not coached well but this is not something worth bringing up. in literally. every. single. thread.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
give it a rest. you bring this up in so many threads regardless of the context. if you’re a guy that plays 4 years on a p5 school and have halfway decent measurables you’ll get a camp invite.

he was certainly not coached well but this is not something worth bringing up. in literally. every. single. thread.
To correct the same old tired misinformation I've seen trotted out here umpteen times, IT'S NOT MERELY A "CAMP INVITE", IT'S A SIGNED CONTRACT.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Swilling was recruited by a different staff and chose to stay at Tech through a coaching change and 3 bad seasons. He could have transferred. I'm glad he stayed and made the sacrifices needed to play at GT. There were 10 other guys out there too. One guy can't carry a team. I hope he makes it in the NFL.