Will Georgia Tech Be The Most Improved Team in ACC This Year?

Will GT Be The Most Improved Team in the ACC in 2021?

• 0% - I'm a Dawg fan pretending to cheer for GT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I think it is 90% likely we'll be seen as the most improved team in the ACC, personally.

I watched the ACC Network's GT 'mini-marathon' yesterday afternoon while I was doing some shop work. I really get the sense that our O-line is way better this year. This is based partly upon the body language of Sims and Ja when they were interviewed for the pre-season show. They were asked about the O-Line, and their faces lit up and they had that 'we are so understating this' tone to their voices. It led me to believe they see a huge improvement in their blockers. That would be great news. If that O-line is meaningfully better we can't help but be hugely improved. Same for D-line, as stated in another thread I get the sense that there is more than hype to how improved that group will be.

And finally the kicking game. It simply can't be much worse.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
90% - Yep. Wins, stats, eyeballs all way up.

Admittedly, there's a lot of 'gold koolaid' in me. But I have a sneaking suspicion (or delusion) that we might actually be pretty good this year.

Nate Burton was quoted in a recent AJC article saying that he's confident in the pass rush from the front 4 helping the secondary this year. On paper, this is the most talented D-line we've had since... '09? Some of them are young. I'm skeptical (but hopeful) Clayton is going to finally put it all together in year 5. But the potential is there.

Burton also stated "we have a good offensive line". That's a bold statement. But again, on paper, this is the biggest, deepest and most talented OL we've had since... the O'Leary era? (2014 was a special group, the sum was way better than the parts.) As bad as the OL has been, I actually think Key has done a decent job given what he's had to work with, especially after injuries and unexpected departures. He now has the personnel he needs. I'm excited to see what 'the best OL coach in the country' can do with a depth chart of legit P5 players.

If Tech is just above average on the lines, instead of awful: Our RB group might be the best in the ACC. Sims has the talent to be a top 3 QB in the league. We have talent at WR, just need one or two to breakout. We have guys that can block at TE, we could use more receiving there. But that's surmountable, especially given Gibb's receiving skills out of the backfield. On D, our secondary is talented, deep and experienced. Any pass rush from up front and the secondary will look way better. LB is a question mark, but we have talent there. If the transfer, Eley, lives up to his ability, he can help bridge to some of the younger talent. The UT transfer kicker, Cimaglia, is a proven commodity. I have to imagine the coaches will have fixed the blocked-kick issues. So our kicking game might not be terrible again.

Barring too many injuries, our starting 22 might be about as good as any in the ACC, outside of Clemson. I'm not sold on UNC and Miami. UNC has Howell, who is great, but they lost a lot of production around him. They have question marks at RB and WR. They return all 5 starting OL, but PFF rated them 102nd in D1 OL last season. (Tech was 123rd. So, not judging. But, no one is picking us to win the ACC.) UNC was 90th in DFEI last season 2 spots worse than Tech's bad D. They lost their best player to the NFL and return basically everyone else. And I'll believe 'da U is back' when I see it.

Granted, with this schedule, a 'good team' might still go 7-5. But I'm hopeful it'll be a fun year. Tech will be much improved, pull an upset or two. Surprise some folks. Be competitive in every league game. Give us reason to be really excited about the future.

The only team that might be more improved in the ACC would be FSU. They were almost as bad last year and have more talent.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would say it is a very strong possibilty given where we are starting from. However it is dificult (for me) to say with any level of confidence as I don't keep up with other teams in the league enough to have a truly informed opinion.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Between Syracuse, Duke, FSU, Louisville and Georgia Tech, I like our odds of being most improved. (Chose teams from bottom last year)
I said 75% mainly due to how our team will be precieved on the National landscape due to our gauntlet of a schedule.

GTinme

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not familiar enough with every ACC team to make an educated guess on this. I will say this…I think we are going to be greatly improved. I believe we’ll double our win total, and I think we’ll see a much more competitive product on the field, even against the tough teams. With the baseline of 3 wins each of the last two seasons, I can’t imagine we won’t be in the running for most improved team.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I am between 75% and 90%. They have certainly set themselves up with substantial headroom for improvement. :) This is the year i hope to see some real team based coaching from the OC, DC and Head Coach.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Simple question. How likely will GT be seen as the most improved team in the ACC this year? Not necessarily in terms of wins/losses only, but improvement versus last year in all aspects accounting for the schedule.
"Most improved" is like the Purple Heart: not something one yearns for.

Improvement can only be measured by wins and losses. How bad you lose is no measure. If we only lose to Clemson by 45 have we improved? If we win 4 games have we improved, yes, but not much.
If we look better and only win 4 this year and look better and win 5 next...We will be in the market for a new coaching staff. In my book this year needs to be 6 wins. Do able, sure, that is if the coaching has improved.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Improvement can only be measured by wins and losses. How bad you lose is no measure. If we only lose to Clemson by 45 have we improved? If we win 4 games have we improved, yes, but not much.
If we look better and only win 4 this year and look better and win 5 next...We will be in the market for a new coaching staff. In my book this year needs to be 6 wins. Do able, sure, that is if the coaching has improved.
“Improvement can only be measured by wins and losses.”

This is just flat out not true. Improvement could be measured in point differential, yards gained or allowed, first downs, points per drive, comparison to the spread, etc. Hell, we could even measure improvement by changes in attendance compared to 2019 or years before (Obviously, comparing it to 2020 would be foolish). The point is, there are many ways to measure improvement, not just one.

1629657287311.jpeg