Will BC be ready for Tech ?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

I thought this part was interesting

To counter the Yellow Jackets, Boston College began preparing for Tech’s offense in the spring. Addazio ran the scout-team offense, and made the unusual decision to draft offensive starters to the unit to give the Eagles defense the best portrayal possible of what it will see in Dublin’s Aviva Stadium. (Addazio calls the Tech scout team “my baby.”)

“We’re going to make sure that we’re going to simulate the speed of how they play,” Addazio said.

not sure that they can simulate the speed we have in only a few months.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

I thought this part was interesting

To counter the Yellow Jackets, Boston College began preparing for Tech’s offense in the spring. Addazio ran the scout-team offense, and made the unusual decision to draft offensive starters to the unit to give the Eagles defense the best portrayal possible of what it will see in Dublin’s Aviva Stadium. (Addazio calls the Tech scout team “my baby.”)

“We’re going to make sure that we’re going to simulate the speed of how they play,” Addazio said.

not sure that they can simulate the speed we have in only a few months.
Depends I guess on whether it will be '14 speed or '15 speed. But it is another indication of how difficult the offense is to prepare for, and how preparations consume opponents for months.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It shows how SERIOUS teams are in making the necessary adjustment. BC has been tough on DEf ,this only makes it tougher. (see NDame).At this point,if we score 2 TDs I would be surprised.If Butker kicks 4 FGs we might win.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
It shows how SERIOUS teams are in making the necessary adjustment. BC has been tough on DEf ,this only makes it tougher. (see NDame).At this point,if we score 2 TDs I would be surprised.If Butker kicks 4 FGs we might win.
This will be a huge early test for the offense. BC led the country in a ton of D categories and only allowed 15 pts/game. They were near the bottom in scoring. If we can put up 15 we are probably in good shape.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
They had better be. And, btw, I don't think gimmicks in practice will prepare anybody for the kind of speed we'll put on the field next year. And that's even without Cottrell. If he recovers, we'll be one of the fastest teams in the country.

But … we still have to find the BB we need. Nobody emerged in the spring but Mills and I know for sure that Coach doesn't want to start a freshman again. But maybe we'll find that problem cleared up between Marshall and Leggett. Sure hope so.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They had better be. And, btw, I don't think gimmicks in practice will prepare anybody for the kind of speed we'll put on the field next year. And that's even without Cottrell. If he recovers, we'll be one of the fastest teams in the country.

But … we still have to find the BB we need. Nobody emerged in the spring but Mills and I know for sure that Coach doesn't want to start a freshman again. But maybe we'll find that problem cleared up between Marshall and Leggett. Sure hope so.
Don't count out Quaide at B. Also, the "speed" that matters most is speed of execution. That comes mostly from experience. Having to think on the field makes fast guys slow.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think it takes more than a few practices to give a D a good look to practice for our O. If you are moving starters to scout team, that is going to hurt your offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not feeling good about this game. BC has a tough stout defense and play a straight smash mouth football offensively. Hell I've even saw them do a little option.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not feeling good about this game. BC has a tough stout defense and play a straight smash mouth football offensively. Hell I've even saw them do a little option.
I feel better in general with our D going up against "smash mouth" style teams than spread teams. We tend to have better outcomes against the more one dimensional teams (doesn't everyone, though?).

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
ND had a "special option scout team" last year. I don't doubt that had something to do with how well they stuffed us. It was like they had an extra man on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
ND had a "special option scout team" last year. I don't doubt that had something to do with how well they stuffed us. It was like they had an extra man on the field.
They had a good plan and even better athletes. They also had some home cookin'. We had, and still have, plays to counter those tactics, but unfortunately, not the players, at that time, to execute them.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
No way they can simulate the speed we run it with. I honestly hope they think they had a good summer and are used to the speed, because first play of the game when we run the WR Reverse and Stewart passes to Juene for 6 it won't matter how hard they prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
if we whiff on blocks like 2015; it wont' matter. BC can be playing at walk through speed and still be there to tackle. The speed with which we hit only matters if we actually make a few blocks.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Andrea Adelson just posted a similar article:
ESPN: Steve Addazio, Paul Johnson met this one time, at football camp ...
Two years later, their paths would (sort of) cross. Davie sent Addazio, Meyer and Rogers on a mission to Georgia Southern, where Johnson ran his version of the spread-option offense.

“He probably doesn’t remember that,” Addazio said.

Reached a few days later in his office, Johnson confirms, “I don’t remember.”
Johnson and his staff have already broken down Boston College, too, though their task is slightly more difficult. The Eagles have a new offensive coordinator and new defensive coordinator, so not only are they breaking down personnel, they had to break down old game tape from the coordinators’ previous stops. Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler was recently at Virginia Tech; defensive coordinator Jim Reid was a position coach at Iowa but was a coordinator at Virginia in 2010, so there’s some overlap.