Why this win could be pivotal for ACC, not just GT

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm thrilled for Tech that they won of course, but what really struck me is the manner in which the Jackets beat Georgia.

Let's face it, a major part of the SEC's recent run of success is that they usually win the LOS against out-of-conference teams. Whatever else you want to say, no other conference has been able to match them rank-and-file in recruiting size and power up front. If a lower-ranked OOC team bothers an SEC power it's always the SEC team asserting themselves physically, but the opponent scrapes together enough big plays to stay in it.

Tech flipped the script. It was Georgia's offense driving on needles and pins and Georgia's D losing the line of scrimmage.

I cover a lot of high school games and I was stunned to see the Bulldogs in a predicament familiar to a lot of high school underdogs. Georgia's front seven was mentally and physically done by late in the 3rd quarter. There was no chance of stopping Tech with backup linemen, so they had no choice but to leave exhausted players on the field. Even when they knew what was coming, they couldn't stop the fullback.

The Jackets just showed the entire country's worth of Division 1 programs that it's possible to physically overwhelm an SEC school even when they're up. Bully beatdown, not bully work-around.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Tech was clearly the overall superior team. This game played out (as in by the players on the field) to have actually been meant to be the "Tech-Clemson game redux, the road version." UGA had no business being in the game and it should have been a 21 or 24 to 10 GT victory and have mirrored the home win against Clemson.

The dirty SEC refs were the only reason that UGA had a chance to be in this game let alone a chance to win.

This game proved to me:

1) The SEC is truly a dirty league and has no integrity as a conference.
2) The SEC hype is premised on fraud and b.s.
3) The Yellow Jackets don't ever quit or give up.

Btw, all the SEC fans who will now turn around and say Tech is going to "destroy" FSU are just continuing the b.s. disrespect for the ACC that has gone on all year. The ACC is the better overall conference this year.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Btw, all the SEC fans who will now turn around and say Tech is going to "destroy" FSU are just continuing the b.s. disrespect for the ACC that has gone on all year. The ACC is the better overall conference this year.
I agree with the first 95% of your post. I think that we will easily beat FSU. It is a really bad match-up for them. We may set offensive records in that game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm thrilled for Tech that they won of course, but what really struck me is the manner in which the Jackets beat Georgia ........

Bully beatdown, not bully work-around.

Great one liner which is true. 399 yards rushing on 70 carries is an as* kicking bully beat down.

But for the others, top to bottom, SEC is clearly the better conference. Look at the bottom of this link. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm We've got our weak teams. We have 3 in the top 20 and the SEC has 6.

BUT we beat what was the third best ranked SEC team in their house. And we beat them in a cage fight smack down. Let the SEC apologists whine, but ACC teams keep beating SEC teams and the perception will change. We just have to win big games. And win on the line. Something to look forward to come bowl time!

Animal02

Banned
Great one liner which is true. 399 yards rushing on 70 carries is an as* kicking bully beat down.

But for the others, top to bottom, SEC is clearly the better conference. Look at the bottom of this link. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm We've got our weak teams. We have 3 in the top 20 and the SEC has 6.

BUT we beat what was the third best ranked SEC team in their house. And we beat them in a cage fight smack down. Let the SEC apologists whine, but ACC teams keep beating SEC teams and the perception will change. We just have to win big games. And win on the line. Something to look forward to come bowl time!

Saw another stat that we ran up the middle 42 times........ and the 2nd half TOP was 23-7.....not bad for the pre-season "coach on the hot seat" running a high school offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This. You don't get the respect and "awe" the SEC gets unless you beat the bully repeatedly. SEC had an incredible national championship run, and their record against other conferences is pretty impressive. The media for the most part are bandwagoners that like to write and talk about winners.

If the ACC wants to be seen as equals with the SEC, the ACC needs to continue doing what it did on Saturday and beat the SEC teams when they play them. The ACC has the talent if you believe the NFL draft means anything.