Why I Now Hate FSU

thwgjacket

Coming in to this week I didn't really have any strong feelings about FSU. In my mind they were a team I slightly disliked, but my respect for what they have done overshadowed in a way that allowed me to respect their program and fan base. Winston has never bothered me and Bowden never bothered me when he was at FSU either. This week my feelings about their school and fan base have taken a sour turn. If you read the articles about their team and take the slightest of glances at their message boards then you'll understand what I'm talking about. They don't respect us. What's worse is that it is very clear they don't understand our team and are just demeaning us for the sake of demeaning us. As if we should be oh so proud to be allowed on the same field as the mighty FSU Seminoles. They talk about the Coastal like it is a dumpster and don't even realize that the Coastal finished with a winning record over the Atlantic this year. They talk about their defense like it's the Steel Curtain from Pittsburgh, we've played six with better numbers. They say there is no way we score 30 on them. We just don't have enough big plays, they say. They say Cook is the best RB we'll see all year; let's forgot about Johnson, Connors and Chubb. After reading FSU material for a week I get it. I now understand why people across the nation despise them. We may get blown out Saturday night, if we do then its still been a great year. But man I hope we come out and shove the football down their throats. I hope Winston throws pick after pick and I hope Cook fumbles all night long. Sorry, just needed to vent about their entitled fan base.

TLDR: To Hell With FSU.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Our young men are quality men and talented athletes. We will prevail! Special year!! I think we are going to make the play offs.

And as you have said win or lose we are proud of this team. True student athletes. But we are not going to lose

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
upload_2014-12-4_20-3-58.png

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't particularly hate them... For many years they were one of my favorite college teams after Tech (along with Michigan State, the 1970s USCw and the late 70s/early 80s Pitt Panthers). Very entertaining to watch with some fast, gifted athletes. Their teams had so much depth, their third-stringers could have started most anywhere else. My old hall mate from Tech used to call them the 'Criminoles' because they were a thuggish-looking team and had a reputation for not being too ethical, which unfortunately, might have been true. But I really looked forward the games back in the '90s when Tech faced them on a yearly basis; looked forward to playing them every bit as much as UGA. O'Leary never beat a Bowden-coached squad, but Tech always played them hard and nearly beat them one year, in a game where whoever had the ball last won. They were three and four deep, rotating in and out while our first-stringers stayed on the field the whole game. Bowden was so exasperated at halftime, he said Tech was like a machine... He didn't know how they were going to stop them. FSU were a truly dominant team when they joined the ACC, and we were really the only team in the conference that regularly offered them any competition, except maybe Clemson. After the ACC expanded, we quit facing them every year, which was a shame because it was turning into a good rivalry, a kind of friendly "big-brother vs little brother" type thing. Over the years I've pretty much soured on the way they seem to operate their program; it's a bit like the factories over in the SEC. Was glad to see the SEC domination come to an end last year, but would love to see Tech come out on top in a big way...

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Coming in to this week I didn't really have any strong feelings about FSU.
I take it you weren't a student at Tech in the 90's then? I started in '92, the Fall of Charlie Ward's coming out party and the beginning of Tech's downward spiral under Bill Lewis. I suffered through years of blowouts and Mickey Andrews and his "play to the echo of the whistle" BS, watching borderline cheap shot after cheap shot against our QBs and backs.

FSU is a very close second to UGA on my most disliked teams list, and we haven't even played them regularly in over 10 years since the ACC split into two divisions.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I take it you weren't a student at Tech in the 90's then? I started in '92, the Fall of Charlie Ward's coming out party and the beginning of Tech's downward spiral under Bill Lewis. I suffered through years of blowouts and Mickey Andrews and his "play to the echo of the whistle" BS, watching borderline cheap shot after cheap shot against our QBs and backs.

FSU is a very close second to UGA on my most disliked teams list, and we haven't even played them regularly in over 10 years since the ACC split into two divisions.

That was a period of Tech history I mostly missed. I lost interest in football for a couple years and was trying to get serious about school and graduate on a good note, eventually getting out in '94. In '91 I'd left Tech and was enrolled in the "Studienkolleg" (preparatory school) at a German university, but eventually came back because of a shortage of student housing (former commies heading West for a better life). Thought I was going to be gone for the next 5 years or longer, so basically put football out of my mind. Attended games on Saturdays but didn't really follow the team much after the '90 season or watch them on television until after Bill Lewis was gone. When O'Leary came in, had a renewed interest in Tech football... thanks in large part to a couple former Tech students I rented a house with. My memories of us playing FSU are not as bad.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Old south stands, you're sig brings back great memories minus the artificial turf

I've got some neat pics of inside the stadium from '87... astroturf and all. The middle of the field had lots of 'crown' in those days. Will try to post some of those pics soon.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When O'Leary came in, had a renewed interest in Tech football... thanks in large part to a couple former Tech students I rented a house with. My memories of us playing FSU are not as bad.
Things got a lot better from '99 onwards, even though we never beat them before the ACC split into divisions. If we'd played them regularly throughout the 00's, I'm sure we'd have beaten them a handful of times, even under Chan Gailey.

We did have a glorious opening drive against FSU at BDS@HGF in '98, if memory serves me, where we burned about 10 minutes off the clock and Phillip Rogers dove in for a touchdown from what seemed like the 5 yard line. After that, it was all downhill for that ballgame.

EDIT: Ha! Thinking about that drive made me wonder if it was on youtube. I searched, and someone uploaded the entire game in two parts EXCEPT for the majority of the opening drive. Must've been a Nole fan. The video starts with 6:40 left in the first quarter. FSU has not even touched the ball yet. Rogers does make a spectacular dive in for a touchdown with 5:33 left in the quarter. There's not much worth watching after that.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of good reasons to hate FSU. Some have been covered above. The basic reason to dislike them for me is that they are a typical factory.

Another is that when FSU decided to join a conference and give up independence in 1990 there are some that say they did not really want to join the SEC although others say they had wanted to join SEC for 30 years. One view is that Florida, UGA and USC have always agreed to vote to keep out of the league any of the other in-state schools. But, some claim that in fact at the time the SEC brought in Arkansas the reason FSU didn't join was because Bowden wanted no part of the SEC and preferred the ACC as being an easier one to dominate. Maybe someone here knows better the truth of the matter?

A last reason for me is one that I cannot give much detail on as will be evident. I know someone who as a graduate student there dealt with attempts at sexual extortion and harassment by a professor and suffice it to say that despite mounds of evidence and testimonials by multiple other victims the university administration as a whole (not just the department) chose to make life miserable for the victim. Although she could have gone public and easily won a lawsuit she chose to transfer out and get on with her life instead.

It isn't just star QBs at FSU who get to treat women like sh-- with impunity. So I think of it as a deeply corrupt university (like PSU or UNC).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well my reason ain't as good as ^ but I got one too. Sorry *** lazy FSU has played just well enough to win but bad enough to do it ugly and lose tons of respect. So now when we beat em....we still won't earn any respect ourselves.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

These are my exact thoughts as well. I always had them on the same plane as UGA. Mickey Andrews can rot in you know where. I've been pissed off this year because I feel like I have to root for them because the CFP committee pisses me off with their reasons to keep dropping them in rankings.

The one exception I have for anything FSU related is it's tradition that I have to draft Sebastian Janikowski to my fantasy team every year. I've only missed the playoffs twice ever in any fantasy league I've ever been in and it's because some d***weeds like to draft him way before me on purpose. I traded Mike Wallace for him last year but it didn't matter and I missed the playoffs for the first time ever. This year I didn't bother to trade for him because I knew it wouldn't matter and missed the playoffs. The two leagues I have him in I'm dominating... Sorry to get carried away.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU is my childhood team, don't hate em. Embarrassed by jameis. I think it's awfully hard to defend a NC and they're an awfully good team to live up to that pressure as long as they have.

Nate Anderson

Jolly Good Fellow
I just hate what they do with Jameis Winston. He has broken so any rules and gotten nothing for it. (They found the flippin DNA!!!) If he were Tech's QB (Thank God he isn't, he would have been kicked out a long time ago.
467289d1413637371-jameis-winston-sucks-because-thread-image.jpg

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow

We did have a glorious opening drive against FSU at BDS@HGF in '98, if memory serves me, where we burned about 10 minutes off the clock and Phillip Rogers dove in for a touchdown from what seemed like the 5 yard line. After that, it was all downhill for that ballgame.

EDIT: Ha! Thinking about that drive made me wonder if it was on youtube. I searched, and someone uploaded the entire game in two parts EXCEPT for the majority of the opening drive. Must've been a Nole fan. The video starts with 6:40 left in the first quarter. FSU has not even touched the ball yet. Rogers does make a spectacular dive in for a touchdown with 5:33 left in the quarter. There's not much worth watching after that.

I was at that game. FSU fans laughed and congratulated us om the TD, then said "it won't happen again." I was indignant, but they were right.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Let them laugh and complain about their #4 ranking. If ther team is looking past us or is taking us lightly, those FSU message boards will be hilarious to read. It will be a meltdown of epic dumbassery.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I'm not sure if FSU has nothing to lose and we're in a no win situation in this game, or it's the other way around. Bear with me.

You see, a lot of people are EXPECTING FSU to lose to GA Tech this weekend. We've now won 5 games in a row, including just beaten a Top 20 and Top 10 team back-to-back. We're on a roll. So what happens if GA Tech actually wins?

Well,if this happens, a ton of people come out and say, see, we told you FSU really wasn't that good, and then what happens to the "value" of that win for us? Will that 4th ranked team still be weighed that heavily? I don't know.

On the other hand, if FSU beats us, they just beat one of, if not THE, hottest teams in College Football, and were able to shut up a ton of people talking trash about them.

So for us, I think we need to show the Committee we were able to beat a team no one else has been able to do in over two years, and if possible, and I'm afraid we may have to do it by more than an eyelash.