Why Georgia Tech likely will never adopt the shotgun again

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
nine games, led the team with 771 rushing yards and 13 total touchdowns (12 rushing, one receiving)

Kirvonte Benson 11 204 1053 5.2 65 6 95.7

Hmmmm.

LOL, I liked the Fridge but guess what, CPJs offensive production is about the same or better. How many 11 win seasons did we have during the Fridge tenure.....1 How many Orange Bowls......0. I remember in 1996 when we had a Freshman QB playing and Fridge was the coach.......5-6....just like this year we had a first time starter QB.. By the way that Freshman was Joe Hamilton and we lost to Navy and CPJ that year

Milwaukee

Banned
There's a reason KB was 3rd string coming into the season. He was serviceable and played his *** off but we have to have a new BB to start next season or we'll still struggle. I mentioned before the season that we're essentially screwed after losing our QB and BB, unfortunately that was an accurate statement.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well … I'd say we need a real roughneck BB to make the O work. Once you are strong up the middle, there's plenty for even a so-so QB to do.

Or you could have a really good AB, like Orwin Smith. Tevin got a lot of mileage out of other teams having to watch out for Smith every play.

Or you could have JT and riverboat gamble your way to wins.

In short, I think there are a lot of ways to make the O work and it can be centered around a variety of positions. BB is the key, however, imho.

yep on BB, but you need 3 horses at OG and Ctr to make the BB really work--, heck. give me 3 Shaqs and I could run behind them

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There's a reason KB was 3rd string coming into the season. He was serviceable and played his *** off but we have to have a new BB to start next season or we'll still struggle. I mentioned before the season that we're essentially screwed after losing our QB and BB, unfortunately that was an accurate statement.

I'm not sure I agree on KB, I think he started concentrating on holding the ball with both arme to stop fumbling, this really slowed his aggressiveness--I would think he will do better next yr

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Third coming into the season? Who else besides Mills would he have been behind coming into the season?

He was third string because he showed up at Tech with a knee injury. His first year was in re-hab. What he has that Mills didn't is break away speed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As clearly indicated by my post, I mean that in a relative sense. As I mentioned, I believe we are usually top 25 in the country at converting 3rd and 10+. I know that we converted 3rd and 10 at a 22% clip in 2016 (which is pretty good) and 3rd and 10 at a 29% clip in 2014 (which is great). (I previously looked up those stats, but cannot find them now. I think they are buried somewhere on the cfbstats.com website.)

In any event, my point was, before folks start saying we need to move to the gun to be effective in these 3rd and long situations, how about providing some stats that show we aren't effective in those situations relative to other teams? I don't think the data would back that up. I think we actually do pretty well there relative to other teams. (Better?)

Edited to say, maybe I misunderstood your point, awbuzz, but still wanted to clarify :)
We agree. No style is designed to be 3rd and long regularly. That IS the point. If anyone can prove otherwise, then I will be glad to learn.

It bugs me we announcers state that "the Triple Option isn't designed for 3rd and long.". Well duh, no offense is.

We're good @GTRX7

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So we weren't Army, who only passed 8.45% of the time, but I think we need to pass about as often as Georgia (31.21% of the time) in order to keep a rythm on the qb. This year, we passed 18.23% of the time.

These passes don't have to be from the gun. They just need to be often enough that the qb maintains his passing accumen.

Btw stats are here:

Also in the Pj offense the highest % of attemps was just over 25% in 2013. Obviously we can't just change the offense to attempt to pass without the running game to support,but more passing will allow the qb to continue to hone the passing skills and may allow the incorporation of shorter passes.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
While I agree we need to pass more in order to keep the opposing D guessing (30% might be nice), I also don't think more of what we have been doing lately is going to do us any good. We need to add passing routes that are not verticals, jump balls, or sideline go routes.