Why didn't we see more of the Bgap dive and/or midline in other games?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It was just so effective in the OB, it got me thinking why we didn't use it more in other games. It would have been nice to have coasted to wins and/or beaten Duke and UNC.

Maybe it was just CPJ taking advantage of a rookie DC who had one game plan and no adjustments?

I also wonder how it carries over to next year. Do we become more diverse in our play calling because our players can execute more? Our OL and qb will be more experienced, but we lose a ton at the runningback and wr positions.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you a question, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy...we ended up being the most efficient offense in history (based on the FEI Offensive stats), and we only lost 3 games by a total of 11 points, 2 of which were in mid-season, while we also led the nation in some impressive areas, like fewest punts, and fewest 3 and outs, so really, don't you think if PJ decided to hold a couple of things back for later in the season it was probably for a good reason?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you a question, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy...we ended up being the most efficient offense in history (based on the FEI Offensive stats), and we only lost 3 games by a total of 11 points, 2 of which were in mid-season, while we also led the nation in some impressive areas, like fewest punts, and fewest 3 and outs, so really, don't you think if PJ decided to hold a couple of things back for later in the season it was probably for a good reason?
Thanks for your reply and I don't think you're being a wise guy. That could very well be it. But we squeaked by in most of those wins. I'm sure coach would have like to have coasted if he could, even at the expense of using plays he wanted to save. He also would have like to have beaten Duke and UNC. Maybe we weren't executing as well early in the year, we didn't even have Days at Bback then.

I think there are other reasons why it was so effective and used so often in the OB. Like I suggested, the MSU substitute DC didn't adjust to our adjustments. CPJ just kept on doing what was working.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for your reply and I don't think you're being a wise guy. That could very well be it. But we squeaked by in most of those wins. I'm sure coach would have like to have coasted if he could, even at the expense of using plays he wanted to save. He also would have like to have beaten Duke and UNC. Maybe we weren't executing as well early in the year, we didn't even have Days at Bback then.

I think there are other reasons why it was so effective and used so often in the OB. Like I suggested, the MSU substitute DC didn't adjust to our adjustments. CPJ just kept on doing what was working.

To add on to @GlennW's train of thought, we didn't really run that belly play until the second half, after the point the DC could plan adjustments.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think this is part of the beauty of the triple o... We have options to run based on what the defensive alignment gives us.

There are plenty of guys here with more knowledge of 3O concepts than me, but it seems like - from watching the games IMHO - we ran the belly play because it was there. We didn't run it in other games, because it just wasn't there for us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's all about what the defense is doing. I don't think we should have done anything different against UNC. Can't score many more than that. Against Duke I guess we could have not given them the ball about five times...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
We also have to remember that JT is only a redshirt sophomore. I am sure there are still wrinkles to the offense that CPJ hasn't had time to teach him yet. Maybe leading up to the Orange Bowl game CPJ had a chance to put that set in?

As others have pointed out, MSU was also playing D in a way that lent itself to those plays. Their corners/linebackers were firing extremely hard right from the start. They caught us 3 or 4 times behind the line of scrimmage and blew up plays that way. I said to myself that CPJ would adjust and make them pay for that aggressiveness. In the first half, we did that with the pass. In the second half, we did that with the belly/midline sets. They never adjusted and the corners/safties were basically just taking themselves out of the play without having to even be blocked. Most ACC teams didn't plays us that aggressively on the outside that consistently. Guys like Bud Foster are smart enough to vary their schemes.

The poor MSU guy was just over matched!
B6PROw_IgAA2Ya9.jpg

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We also have to remember that JT is only a redshirt sophomore. I am sure there are still wrinkles to the offense that CPJ hasn't had time to teach him yet. Maybe leading up to the Orange Bowl game CPJ had a chance to put that set in?

I think your onto something, most likely CPJ has been slowly adding plays to JT's repertoire as the season has progressed and will continue to do so next year.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My low level opinion too was that it had to do with the way they were positioning their DTs. They looked to me to be pinching in toward the center. Whatever they were doing was working pretty well early for stopping the B back up the middle. So PJ adjusted. As Shaq said after the game, it was surprising they never made a counter move, considering how every play was opening a nice hole and our backs were pouring through.

Whiskey, I sure don't remember any other quarterback running it. And the thing is, it looked just as smooth and crisp as if we had run it every game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you're looking for a comprehensive, schematic reason why, look no further!
http://www.reddit.com/r/footballstr...orange_bowl_georgia_tech_offensive_breakdown/
I like this comment on our passing game in the first half:

Passing

GT had success early on by passing. Early in the game the safeties were rotating up a lot with motion. When the secondary did rotate, they often played cover 2 and blitzed and OLB or DB. GT had 1-on-1 matchups all night outside. Athleticism took over there. They threw it deep and they simply got the job done on the outside. They actually had their slot backs wide open multiple times down the middle (cover 2), but they never went to them. This is where GT really thrived this year. PJ finally brought in the horses at QB and receiver to actually pass with some will rather than only throwing when going through their "if-then" progression.

I'm not so sure we had our slots "wide open multiple times" but I sure do remember it on the td pass to Waller, the was NOBODY on our slot receiver. Hopefully we can take advantage of this more next year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The bowl wasn't the first midline we ran this year. I just don't recall a QB busting it to the outside the way JT did on the TD runs

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Different midline question...has any QB, other than JT, ever run the midline off tackle?
I'm pretty sure the one he broke outside was a busted play. The LT (maybe Griffin?) missed his block and the play was going to be blown up. Bostic picked up the rusher, but that left the guy that Bostic was supposed to block. Fortunately JT outran some people and made it work.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@UgaBlows

Although Justin Thomas is just a redshirt sophomore, the OB not only showcased his talents like speed and quickness, but more importantly his understanding of this offense and the ability to make the correct reads. His current knowledge of this offense is at least comparable if not better than Tevin Washington as a redshirt senior.

The future looks very promising as this kid wanted to play in this offense and is excelling at it to the degree that every DC in the ACC is terrified of facing GT for the next few seasons with him at the helm.

With CTR on the defensive side of the ball GT is starting to become a very dangerous opponent for anyone they face. Including those schools with all of the stars rated kids.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer

I have often wondered if CPJ didn't see some things in the first half but held back so half time adjustments by opponent could not be made. Same depending upon on opponent and how we are doing during a game. I know it was early season but seemed that we ran a pretty much vanilla offense against Wofford and Tulane, not wanting to show much of our offense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have often wondered if CPJ didn't see some things in the first half but held back so half time adjustments by opponent could not be made. Same depending upon on opponent and how we are doing during a game. I know it was early season but seemed that we ran a pretty much vanilla offense against Wofford and Tulane, not wanting to show much of our offense.
it stands to reason he would do this. If I remember correctly he had a call in question last year about running vanilla stuff to start seasons and he responded with something like "We won't hold back plays if the game is in question but if we are up we stick to what's working"