Why are we

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
5-6 vs. Ga. in Athens since the '96 season but only 1-9 in Atlanta. This statistic is mind boggling imo. I would like to hear some opinions on this. Would you be willing to give up a home game every other year to play them over there?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
uga doesn't understand how close they are to collapse. Throw in two home wins in that time period (97 and 09 for instance), and the hollow putrefying shell in athens becomes obvious. The Gailey years against uga are a black hole that hides how much we have closed the gap with those people.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of Dwags who are serious football fans. To a person - there are a couple of women in there - they'll readily admit that ever since 2000 the breaks have fallen their way. So many games in that period were so close, but they usually "found a way to win", i.e. they lucked out. Even the Gailey years had plenty of close games that we could have easily won.

I don't like that, but I can live with it. When you get two pretty evenly matched teams playing under pressure every year, it almost always comes down to the breaks. And the Fates have a way of equalizing those.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
UGA has better talent on defense than we usually do. We even that out by having better coaching on offense. We have only struggled to put up yards/points on them twice in CPJs tenure.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
uga typically has the better overall team. That has played its fair share of the part.

True, but...I don't think that would explain discrepancies in W-L record at their place and ours. wouldn't you suppose them to be the exact opposite. So far, one guy has suggested there is no correlation or due strictly to chance(or the "IIWII' theory). Another guy thinks we play tight at home (best suggestion yet I suppose as far as root cause is concerned), and another guy complained about the thread title. I thought the statistic was pretty eye opening and tend to believe that it is not due strictly to chance.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Way too many factors to account for (relative performance in the UGA game vs. that particular season; injuries; coaching changes; recruiting cycles; blowouts, etc.)

But, just looking at these numbers highlighted in red may be sufficient to answer your question

UGA - GT scores in Atlanta since 1995
1995 Georgia 18 Georgia Tech 17

1997 #14 Georgia 27 Georgia Tech 24

1999 #20 Georgia Tech 51 #15 Georgia 48 OT

2001 #19 Georgia 31 #21 Georgia Tech 17

2003 #5 Georgia 34 Georgia Tech 17

2005 #13 Georgia 14 #20 Georgia Tech 7

2007 #6 Georgia 31 Georgia Tech 17

2009 Georgia 30 #7 Georgia Tech 24

2011 #13 Georgia 31 #25 Georgia Tech 17

2013 Georgia 41 Georgia Tech 34 2OT

2015 Georgia 13 Georgia Tech 7

Way too many factors to account for (relative performance in the UGA game vs. that particular season; injuries; coaching changes; recruiting cycles; blowouts, etc.)

But, just looking at these numbers highlighted in red may be sufficient to answer your question

UGA - GT scores in Atlanta since 1995
1995 Georgia 18 Georgia Tech 17

1997 #14 Georgia 27 Georgia Tech 24

1999 #20 Georgia Tech 51 #15 Georgia 48 OT

2001 #19 Georgia 31 #21 Georgia Tech 17

2003 #5 Georgia 34 Georgia Tech 17

2005 #13 Georgia 14 #20 Georgia Tech 7

2007 #6 Georgia 31 Georgia Tech 17

2009 Georgia 30 #7 Georgia Tech 24

2011 #13 Georgia 31 #25 Georgia Tech 17

2013 Georgia 41 Georgia Tech 34 2OT

2015 Georgia 13 Georgia Tech 7
Looking at those scores, I don't think it's a stretch to say that every one of them except perhaps 2001, 2003, and 2007 we COULD have been in a position to win.

BPN03

Georgia Tech Fan
My theory is that in Athens they can rally around being in the enemies house. When they are home it's discouraging for it to be half uga fans when it's your stadium. I feel like the team plays up for big GT crowds. And fights well on the road. But home games where they feel unsupported underperform.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Look at it this way too. This year we were a little better than them, IMO, and won close. 2014 we were a good bit better than them and won close. 2008 they were better overall, IMO, and we won rather comfortably.

That's one upset in their house '08.

At home since 95....2009 we were a good bit better than them and managed to blow the game. I think they had the better overall team every other year at our place.

One upset in our house (for them). Maybe there is no difference, or little, in considering venue of this rivalry.

My theory is that in Athens they can rally around being in the enemies house. When they are home it's discouraging for it to be half uga fans when it's your stadium. I feel like the team plays up for big GT crowds. And fights well on the road. But home games where they feel unsupported underperform.
I think they fought like hell in 2013 let it slip away. We definitely had their number in the first half, but ..............
Last year Roof's D let us down when we had them backed up deep late in the game with the POTENTIAL to win it, but we let them out of the hole, and that was it.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Kinda changing the emphasis from location to just the score - as noted elsewhere the last 4 games are telling. Two wins each, two OT games,
both winning on the road. UGA likes to brag that GT as only won 3 in 15 years. I like to say GT has won 2 out of the last 3! Which begs the question: is this
so one sided it is no longer a rivalry?

Or is all of of this "just one of those things...........?"???

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I too have often wondered if playing in front of a large crowd has an impact. Our players only get to play in a venue that large just a few times a season (if that) when they go to FSU, Clemson, VPI and Uga. Blacksburg has been tough but we have competed well at these places. Whereas Uga is playing in a large venue almost weekly so it is a non issue for them. Or perhaps, as some suggest, there really is no reason and it's pure randomness.