Who Surprisingly Steps Up From Spring To Fall?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Pat Gamble is (if JHD is eligible) going to end up a heck of a strongside end.
Tyler Marcordes (if he can stay healthy) is going to be a rock solid LB
Vad Lee is going to have a fabulous senior season at JMU

Mason is not in Devine's league in terms of physical potential. Devine has all the physical tools to be an elite caliber OL. In terms of elite physical tools for his position, he's probably in Calvin Johnson's league...that's saying a lot. Coaches have a saying for guys like that "He can be as good as he wants to be." He said the same thing about Waller...and we're kinda seeing it play out in the draft process for Darren. Had Darren taken his physical gifts as seriously and worked on his craft like Calvin, Demaryius, Stephen Hill, and Smelter did during their careers, we might be talking about how GT will have a first round draft pick this year. That Waller is getting mentioned on potential alone after a very modest career here tells you how much more productivity he could have had for us.

I think Devine is absolutely in that category. If he works at his craft, and makes use of the resources GT has to get his body in peak physical condition for his position, his ceiling is as high as any athlete we've had here.
If what you say is true, that Devine has physical gifts as a lineman comparable to Calvin's measurables as a WR, then what will be the conclusion if he doesn't even start this year? I think that is a possibility, that he could struggle with cracking the starting line up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The "ball" is Devine's to do something with to make improvements. His true determination will decide how much he plays. More carrots and less cake may help, but it isn't always that easy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If what you say is true, that Devine has physical gifts as a lineman comparable to Calvin's measurables as a WR, then what will be the conclusion if he doesn't even start this year? I think that is a possibility, that he could struggle with cracking the starting line up.

CPJ has already commented on this. No one is preventing Devine from cracking the starting lineup but Devine...just like no one was preventing Waller from becoming a great WR (which we saw in flashes) except Waller. We certainly don't have any other lineman with Devine's physical tools. If you give Shaq Mason the physical tools that Devine has, you're looking at a first rounder even coming from our offense.

I hope Devine fully realizes his vast potential, because he can set himself up for life financially if he does. He went against some big DL talent last year as a redshirt freshmen and physically erased some of those guy out of the play. He made some mental errors, but physically he was never out of his depth.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Very seldom, if at any time, are there gifts to be an elite individual at some skill, that does not require hard work and sacrifice to be all you can be. You watch the Gymnast, figure skater, make it look so easy but you don't see the 5 AM practices 5 and 6 days a week and maybe afternoon sessions as well. You see the 3 pointers swish but you don't see the 100 of mores shots taken almost daily in practice. A gifted student not doing his work can be mediocre.

If Devine can't control his eating and control his weight, he won't reach his potential and the conclusion is he didn't control his weight. If however he gets down to the weight our S & C staff are working toward, and he does not start then we mis-evaluated his skills. But that is not going to happen. He gets his weight down and he will be awesome and the odds for an NC go up for us. I hope the young man realizes he can be a major cog to bring his teammates to national prominence and this becomes a motivation to do his level best to meet the S & C goals.

We are going to Charlotte!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys that stepped up to me were:

Nick Brigham
Trey Klock
Marcus Allen
Francis Kallon
Jalen Johnson
Shwan Kangawa
Que Searcy

I think these guys earned some playing time with their spring performance.

Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Klock, Terrell and Marcus are the new faces I see breaking out.

I'd say Anthony Williams and Broderick Snoddy like I have most years recently but I've got to mix it up.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping Clinton Lynch and/or Qua Searcy will breakout. Or Cottrell comes in with familiarity from lead blocking the veer is HS and picks things up fast.

I like Snoddy, Andrews, and Ike, but we need 2-3 more A backs we can count on.

I'd like to see Messick catch up with Jeune & Summers as well. We need him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping Clinton Lynch and/or Qua Searcy will breakout. Or Cottrell comes in with familiarity from lead blocking the veer is HS and picks things up fast.

I like Snoddy, Andrews, and Ike, but we need 2-3 more A backs we can count on.

I'd like to see Messick catch up with Jeune & Summers as well. We need him.

I think Messick is a good blocker...remember, he got in the WR rotation before Jeune last year because of his blocking. He just needs to be more consistent catching the ball. He has the physical make up all our great WRs had. Big, physical, and fast. Saw a flash of it as he pulled away from the secondary during the Spring game, unfortunately he dropped a TD pass.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Didn't realize that about Messick and blocking Techster. That is very encouraging to hear! It shows a guy who wants to work and has the will to get it done. I saw Jeune play some last year but never saw Messick except in mop up time. But I don't always watch that position carefully to see who's playing.

As with Waller we need to be patient with Messick. He was a project for sure coming out of HS...very raw. He's got the goods though so if he works his arse off and finds a way to get better each day I have no doubt he'll become a player for us. Glad he got a redshirt.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Didn't realize that about Messick and blocking Techster. That is very encouraging to hear! It shows a guy who wants to work and has the will to get it done. I saw Jeune play some last year but never saw Messick except in mop up time. But I don't always watch that position carefully to see who's playing.

As with Waller we need to be patient with Messick. He was a project for sure coming out of HS...very raw. He's got the goods though so if he works his arse off and finds a way to get better each day I have no doubt he'll become a player for us. Glad he got a redshirt.

With Messick, the problem is he was not a big stats receiver in hi school so catching it is a learning process. He can not drop wide-open long gainers like he did in the Spg game and play much.