who our opponents play the week before us....

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have lived in Chapel Hill since I got out of GT in 1974. UNC definitely has influence within the ACC office and Swafford was AD at UNC prior to becoming ACC commissioner. He needs to be replaced in fairness to the non-NC members. He has been in that office too long in my opinion. The ACC came down hard on Clemson in addition to the NCAA about recruiting violations several years ago but nothing has been done to UNC about the "no attendance classes graded by the secretary" and other football violations during the Butchie boy era ( parking tickets, rental cars,, free trips, agents, etc). The longer this goes on, the less that the NCAA is likely to do anything to them. It sure hasn't seemed to hurt their on-field performance or their recruiting (although they did complain a couple of years ago that other schools used it against them). The women's BB program will probably take the brunt of the violations. They won't dare touch their sacred BB program. This is the NCC (North Carolina Conference) and anyone that thinks differently is fooling themselves.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if our kids focus on such things but I hope not. We just need to control what we can control and focus on ourselves. Take it as a complement that we apparently strike this much fear into the hearts of the enemy.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's not conspiracy. It's explicit design. Theoretically, there is no advantage. Each team can make certain scheduling requests to the league which are accommodated if possible. Ours are fulfilled just as easily as everyone else's. It's just that, naturally, everyone with GT on the schedule requests bye weeks before playing us. For OOC, I imagine these things are very intentionally scheduled. At least in UGAg's case, they know when we'll be playing each year.

Not sure if it's "fair" to do it this way. It's certainly not clandestine.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's not conspiracy. It's explicit design. Theoretically, there is no advantage. Each team can make certain scheduling requests to the league which are accommodated if possible. Ours are fulfilled just as easily as everyone else's. It's just that, naturally, everyone with GT on the schedule requests bye weeks before playing us. For OOC, I imagine these things are very intentionally scheduled. At least in UGAg's case, they know when we'll be playing each year.

Not sure if it's "fair" to do it this way. It's certainly not clandestine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not clandestine." As far as I know, they don't publish team requests and conference decisions. I would be all for the conference making public the requests, the decisions, and the rationale.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
It is a sham that the ACC allows so many of our ACC foes to get a break before our games. Can you say UNFAIR?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you mean by "not clandestine." As far as I know, they don't publish team requests and conference decisions. I would be all for the conference making public the requests, the decisions, and the rationale.

I meant it's not some conspiracy. Regardless if they publish these requests, it is known and accepted that they receive and attempt to accommodate them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I agree. It would be nice to see the requests and decisions. I did find this article that sheds some light. It leads me to believe it may actually be possible (with some digging) to see the requests. I must admit, I would be curious what GT (and others) request.
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-football-schedule-2016-post.html

From the article: "...Strickland said the conference’s 14 football programs submitted 31 specific scheduling requests, 25 of which he was able to accommodate, including Virginia Tech's for a Thursday home date."

Deleted member 2897

This doesn't quite tell the whole story yet. Mercer just sits there saying 'Mercer'. But who did Mercer play the week before? Citadel, who also plays an option offense. Georgia Southern just says Arkansas State - but its on a Wednesday, so yes even though its a conference game, they get 10 days off before playing us. Clemson had TWO patsies before us, not just SC State - they also had Troy. Miami had 3 straight patsies before us (although some may argue App State is not).

Its pretty odd that Boston College, Georgia Southern, Miami, Duke, and North Carolina play nobody the weekend before playing us. On our side, we don't play the weekend before Boston College and Duke and that's it - 2 versus 5. Then we have 6 teams who play an FCS or FCS-like team the week before us (GaSouthern has an FCS-like team and the weekend off). Count 'em up - that's 10 of our 12 games.