Which off the field coach has made biggest impact?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Just looking to generate some conversation on the impact of the various off the field coaches that GT has on staff now. Who is making the biggest impact? Former HS coaches? New recruiting analysts? I am not familiar with all of their names and how things are working out so far?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Just looking to generate some conversation on the impact of the various off the field coaches that GT has on staff now. Who is making the biggest impact? Former HS coaches? New recruiting analysts? I am not familiar with all of their names and how things are working out so far?
Very interesting question.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I am even curious if any of the former and very successful high school coaches are being considered for positional coaching spots or if Key’s full intention is to have them for recruiting leverage and breaking down film? Anyone know specifically why Key brought them on staff?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know specifically why Key brought them on staff?
Because we were a dumpster fire and Key is a first time head coach. I’ll be honest, the most impressive thing to me that Key did early in his head coaching career was bring in several off field guys with big time coaching experience. It showed me he understands he has a lot of growth as a head coach and he isn’t ego driven enough to not ask for help (unlike the other guy).

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Those HS coaches can find diamonds in the rough, over looked players through all their contacts, I remember Butch doing some of that for O'Leary.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It’s largely unknown. There has been very little or no publicity (public media information) about Georgia Tech’s off-the-field football staff, other than a little bit about Tim McFarlin, whose job title is Director of High School Relations.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It’s largely unknown. There has been very little or no publicity (public media information) about Georgia Tech’s off-the-field football staff, other than a little bit about Tim McFarlin, whose job title is Director of High School Relations.

This could pay dividends many times over. Tim has quite a resume in Ga high school football.

And Bill Stewart may have just gotten us one of his ex players as a transfer recently. A CB who has some starts at TN, if I'm not mistaken.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I think that the forme HS coaches’ contacts with former players and current Hs Football coaches in and around GA will pay dividends in recruiting and in the transfer portal market where athletes are looking for a fresh start or for upgrading after a solid year of performance. Got to wonder if Buster and Blaylock are in conversation with Mims from uga to see if there is mutual interest.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

I’d say this one. KW has definitely helped steady the ship for HS recruiting when it could’ve taken a total nosedive after 2019-2021. It seems like CBK himself, as well as the staff he has assembled, is doing a much better job of establishing deeper roots into GA HS’s. Hopefully KW stays part of that staff for a long time, but if he does decide to move on I think CBK will find a very suitable replacement.

It seems like people around the state are starting to take Tech more seriously as a football destination again. It just sucks it’s happening at a time when there’s so much change and uncertainty in college football. Everybody has known for a while the NCAA sucks, but never before has its demise felt so imminent. The PAC 10/12 doesn’t even exist anymore, and people are starting to wonder how long the ACC will exist. If the college football landscape now was the same as it was in 2010, I really think CBK and Tech could rival the run that Harbaugh and Shaw went on at Stanford. Crazy so much has changed in such a short amount of time.