Which conference should define Tech next 20 yrs?

Which conference should define Tech next 20 yrs?

• Total voters

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
No one is leaving the B1G for the ACC. Not gonna happen given B1G media and compensation package may be better than the SEC. They're definitely not leaving the B1G for the ACC.
Yes but what can acc get if psu or Michigan joins acc along with nd. That could bring in some serious money.

I think Michigan fits the acc better than most schools. Decent academics, good basketball, good football. I know they are also pretty tired of the b1g's love of Ohio State.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes but what can acc get if psu or Michigan joins acc along with nd. That could bring in some serious money.

I think Michigan fits the acc better than most schools. Decent academics, good basketball, good football. I know they are also pretty tired of the b1g's love of Ohio State.

I think what we want or like to happen and the reality of the B1G is a totally separate world. Michigan definitely would never leave the B1G since they one of the faces of the B1G...regardless of how much better OSU is doing than them right now. It isn't about right now, it's about the next several decades.

B1G media rights is already the best of all the P5 conferences, why would any B1G member leave to take less money in the ACC and have no natural rivalries? GT to B1G at least GT is actually gaining something in return with better media rights compensation even if we give up geography. B1G team coming to the ACC would be a lose-lose situation for them.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

FWIW, I have a brother who is an alum of OSU. If you are younger you might not know this but for many, many years those people struggled to beat Michigan even when favored to do so and it was thought that Michigan was the favorite of the B10 admin. I don't know if there ever was any favoritism then or now (I always suspected sour grapes but I am typically cynical) but if it is, its because the pendelum shifts, whether consciously or not, to the revenue producers. I know in the corporate world resources were given not equally but favored those with a track record of doing more with capital invested.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think what we want or like to happen and the reality of the B1G is a totally separate world. Michigan definitely would never leave the B1G since they one of the faces of the B1G...regardless of how much better OSU is doing than them right now. It isn't about right now, it's about the next several decades.

B1G media rights is already the best of all the P5 conferences, why would any B1G member leave to take less money in the ACC and have no natural rivalries? GT to B1G at least GT is actually gaining something in return with better media rights compensation even if we give up geography. B1G team coming to the ACC would be a lose-lose situation for them.
B1G without Michigan is like the acc without FSU, it would be a big blow. This is even more true if you're thinking next several decades.

As far as natural rivals go, ND would be/is a great rivalry for them. I'm sure others would mature over time as well.

Last edited:

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Any Big10 team would be insane to leave the conference. They are incredibly well-positioned as far as media rights go with a major national presence across many geographies.

The SEC just signed a deal and is higher than the Big10, but it's expected the Big10 will surpass them again when their media rights expire. Adding Texas and OU might change that, but no way a team leaves for the ACC imo.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
B1G without Michigan is like the acc without FSU, it would be a big blow. This is even more true if you're thinking next several decades.

As far as natural rivals go, ND would be/is a great rivalry for them. I'm sure others would mature over time as well.
I so, so, so miss an ACC without FSU. Never have been a fit. Miami is worse, but FSU broke the seal.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Reading transcripts, I think we got the right Commish, but it might be too late. He's really pushing football and for the conference to increase the importance of it. If we can get ND 100% in, (we have their conference rights for a while) we might be able to poach a Big10 (Penn St my choice bc championship level in olympic sports and 100,000 seat stadium thats always full.). if not, the houston cougars my be the next best thing. I'd actually be fine with going all out to poach Vandy, but that'll be a long shot. Although that will open the door for ok st to join oklahoma in the $ec.
The Big 12, which may fall apart, didn't want Houston. The Big 12 only has 10 members, and still didn't want Houston.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have to say, it causes the same sort of emotional reaction to me as saying we will be facing Pitt, Duke, Pitt, Miami, UNC etc. In the ACC, the only teams that really move the needle s far as feeling like a "big game atmosphere" (to me) are FSU and Clemson. To a lesser extent, Miami and Duke (only because I cannot imagine a year in which we don't play Duke). The rest of the league might as well be Iowa, Rutgers and Indiana. I am not saying I favor a switch just that there isn't any sort of emotional attachment to being in the ACC. I am for whatever is best financially after all factors (TV, tickets, travel, etc.) are considered.
I feel the same way. Then I remind myself that if Pittsburgh was fighting for a national championship (like back in the day) and UNC was sitting at the top of the conference, and Duke was going to top bowls, the conference would feel different and excitement at BDS would jump up a notch. And national tv eyes would be on us.

But yeah, unless and until those teams have a miraculous turn around they leave me flat.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We need to get the most money we can get in order to compete effectively.

I would have answered SEC bit did not because I considered that impossible.

Of the remaining conferences, the Big Ten pays out the most, hence my choice.

Money talks!

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Louisville is far worse than FSU

Yep, and Pitt is worse than Louisville…
And Syracuse is worse than Pitt…
And so on..

It feels like the ACC is collection of misfits. And shoe-horning a Houston, or Baylor, doesn’t particularly mitigate that feeling. Maybe it’s just a geographical conundrum with too few desirables in the area.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
And so on..

It feels like the ACC is collection of misfits. And shoe-horning a Houston, or Baylor, doesn’t particularly mitigate that feeling. Maybe it’s just a geographical conundrum with too few desirables in the area.

Or, to counter my own premise, it’s really a football v basketball matter, where a number of its schools have far greater hoops tradition and higher expectation than with football. I feel like B1G is more balanced in that aspect.

And some of y’all need to step back from dissing Iowa lol…they thoroughly handled us in the Orange Bowl, are typically very competitive and have a loyal, enthusiastic fan base! I’d like a replay with Minnesota, too…

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We need to get the most money we can get in order to compete effectively.

I would have answered SEC bit did not because I considered that impossible.

Of the remaining conferences, the Big Ten pays out the most, hence my choice.

Money talks!
Neither Maryland, nor Rutgers has finished in the top 25 since joining the Big 10. Nebraska finished 24th and 25th the first two years and hasn't finished ranked in the 8 years since then. Joining the Big 10 and getting that extra money obviously isn't a ticket for success.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Or, to counter my own premise, it’s really a football v basketball matter, where a number of its schools have far greater hoops tradition and higher expectation than with football. I feel like B1G is more balanced in that aspect.

And some of y’all need to step back from dissing Iowa lol…they thoroughly handled us in the Orange Bowl, are typically very competitive and have a loyal, enthusiastic fan base! I’d like a replay with Minnesota, too…
Just to be clear, I did mention Iowa in the same breath as some other (perhaps not as accomplished) B10 teams but I am fully aware of their tradition and accomplishments. They are a very solid program and are recognized as such by most people who follow college FB. And yes, both they and Minnesota beat us like a rented mule when we played them last.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And so on..

When I said Louisville is far worse than FSU I was thinking academics. Any claim to ACC academic superiority went out the window when Louisville joined. The B1G would have never let them in, even though they are across the river from B1G states.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to be clear, I did mention Iowa in the same breath as some other (perhaps not as accomplished) B10 teams but I am fully aware of their tradition and accomplishments. They are a very solid program and are recognized as such by most people who follow college FB. And yes, both they and Minnesota beat us like a rented mule when we played them last.
No offense taken, of course! I just happen to be an Iowa fan from childhood days in Florida (namely, UF v Iowa in ‘86 Gator Bowl) ;)

It is interesting, though, what associations immediately come to mind. Likewise, how we view ourselves can be quite different than others’ perceptions. I suspect Tech isn’t immune to that, say, in a B1G forum if they’re discussing expansion..

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
When I said Louisville is far worse than FSU I was thinking academics. Any claim to ACC academic superiority went out the window when Louisville joined. The B1G would have never let them in, even though they are across the river from B1G states.
Ah, understood.
Though in today’s CFB landscape and business I’m really pressed for any reason that academics is a primary consideration any longer. These teams aren’t competing for the Academic Bowl or Debate Championship. Nor are the upper-tier academic schools — talking here of the large B1G schools, or even UNC for that matter — immune from weak degrees and programs to “facilitate“ some athletes

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Just wonder in the long run if we're not heading to one conference of maybe 48 to 64 teams looking more like NFL with an eastern division and western division with neighborhood rivalry pods of 4-5 teams? Could be hard to work out I'm guessing. Swafford and the Tobacco Road Mafia left us in a mess IMO, all because BB controlled and now when it is way late they are all finally admitting FB is where the money is and should be given the priority. Still believe TV house tops determine more than any other ingredient. Glad we are in ATL, just believe whatever happens that winds up being very meaningful. This is just me, but I believe the NFL is in trouble, not at all sure if their woes are temporary and with new money for CFB players the whole FB dynamic could be changing. There are going to be way fewer colleges in 15 years than now, that I feel real, real sure about, education is headed for big change in this country IMO. I'm guessing Technology campuses needed. Other campuses questionable.
Bottom line nobody really knows how this all plays out. There are just a lot of dynamics at play now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And so on..

Are you talking about football recognition, or money. None of the football conferences are going to care at all about football reputation. If a school doesn't bring a large TV market into the conference with it, it doesn't matter what their football reputation is. Texas will add more area to the SEC Network, even if they are close to TA&M. Actually, if Texas joins the SEC, the SEC won't need TA&M for anything anymore. They will have all of the TA&M area plus additional area, and access to Texas.

If a conference adds Houston or Baylor, except for the SEC, they get access to the #5 and #8 TV markets. That is big money for a TV rights negotiation. The conferences are going to care more about how much money they can make than what the perception of the conference will be. 20 years ago, FSO, VT, and Miami were all national powerhouses in football. Perceived strength changes. As an example, the Big10 did not add Maryland to add perceived strength in football. They added Maryland because Maryland brought in the #7 TV market and added money to the conference.