Which coach on GT staff (outside of CGC) should feel most pressure to improve?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If I had it my way we would fire Collins today and make Key the interim HC. This would stop the Collins bleeding and potentially keep commitments in place knowing that GT cares about getting better and can admit a mistake. By keeping Collins around all GT is telling everyone is that the status quo is acceptable. That message will lead to decommitments by November. Collins will be seen as a dead man walking by October and our recruits will go elsewhere.

Now, I don’t know Key at all or his personality. If he were named the interim HC and simply told the truth I think this staff minus Collins could keep recruits committed.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I had it my way we would fire Collins today and make Key the interim HC. This would stop the Collins bleeding and potentially keep commitments in place knowing that GT cares about getting better and can admit a mistake. By keeping Collins around all GT is telling everyone is that the status quo is acceptable. That message will lead to decommitments by November. Collins will be seen as a dead man walking by October and our recruits will go elsewhere.

Now, I don’t know Key at all or his personality. If he were named the interim HC and simply told the truth I think this staff minus Collins could keep recruits committed.
I don't know if Key is up to the task, but his personality is much more direct and to the point. A HC does need some political skills, although they do not need to dance around, pretend everything is great when it is not, and then not answer questions at their presser.

But, it is ALL moot anyway, as there is no way GT signs up for the financial liability at this point. Of course, if the $$ people wanted to accept the liability, TStan would, but I don't think they are at a point yet where they want to admit error.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Coleman has done a fine job. We are also bringing in at least 2 4 start DTs in this recruiting class. Key also has a track record and is just starting to get to coach his guys. He is bringing in a 4 star OL this year as well. I also thought the OL played fine Saturday. We ran the ball very effectively and protection was okay. The issue was on Sims early. He missed several passes that would've opened the offense up.

I was dissapointed with the DL watching it live against NIU, but after reading @Ibeeballin comment in another thread about how many they were keeping in for protection I don't feel as bad. More concerned about the secondary.
Coach burton ????????? DB coach ?????? Recruiter ??????

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

We are 0-1. This is very premature.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Everyone should feel the urgency. One I have questions about is Wisehan. Tight Ends/Special Teams. Our TEs are invisible and special teams speaks for itself.
EDIT: I just realized I was responding to a post from September 7. DOH!!! My bad…

If there was anyone on the staff that had less to work with than Wiesehan I can’t imagine who else it might have been. I’m not talking about not having good football players. We didn’t have any. I agree that everyone should feel the urgency for sure. And we absolutely need the TEs to come on but they actually did some good things against Clemson and it appears that we are trying to work them into the gameplans more and more.

Remember that last year we rarely had more than 2 healthy TEs for any game. And one of them was a converted walk-on OL/LS who specifically lost weight and changed his entire body between two seasons in order to play TE (love Jack Coco!!!).

Re: special teams… yeah, totally with you on that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Back to the huge question - what the heck is going on with the safeties? This must improve in the next w4 hours. 1 and 2 are supposed to be best 2 players on defense.
Lets thi k positive😀

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just want a coach that can have our DBs turn their heads and play the ball! It feels like we always give up big plays when we were in position to make a stop. The “6 foot” Richie jumped over our guys multiple times last game.
It’s called ball skills. Some guys just don’t have them. Maybe it should be our top priority in recruiting the position instead of size.?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Got to be Thacker. Still inexperienced and hasn't been around P5 staffs long enough to learn his trade. May become really good someday with more mentoring.