Which coach on GT staff (outside of CGC) should feel most pressure to improve?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what the opinions were out there as to which position coach(Ed) or OC/DC should really be getting the sense of urgency for the need of immediate improvement or start job searching?
I thought the OL would make a bigger difference than they did. I expected to see huge holes and great amounts of pressing the NIU defensive line off the ball. I also expected to see more from Sims considering the preseason hype related to his improvement and time spent getting into rhythm with the WRs. I also expected to see more from our DL getting pressure, sacks, and chaos in the backfield but not too much of that either. Expected to see quicker adjustments on D to what NIU was doing with another year of Thacker working in his system and communication improvement in the backfield plus that being CGC signature area expected more. Special teams is still let’s say “especially unpredictable/reliable”. We didn’t make it through the first game with getting none blocked and second guessing a FG attempt due to lack of confidence in the process as a whole.” All of this has to be especially frustrating for Coach Choice. He has a room full of great RB especially Gibbs and he can’t really showcase his full repertoire of gifts because his QB missed him on a wide open TD opportunity and then the line let him down. We will be very fortunate if Gibbs shows the patience to continue to play at GT after this season. His future and draft stock rests in his resume of runs on the field. Hope he stays and stays healthy and injury free. In summary I was just surprised is all. I expected:had hoped for more! I honestly hope CGC figures this out and quickly! We’ve got a incredibly tough schedule and it can/could get really ugly out there and make it extremely difficult/frustrating for the players/fans/donors if the results don’t make a 180 and show better execution all the way around. Personally I hope they figure it out quickly and we get things rolling in the right direction.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a ridiculous take. I can say for certain we should do whatever we can to keep Choice. He is the only coach at this point I would say has earned every bit of his paycheck.

I would also want to keep Coleman, Caralla, and Key.
why? 2 of those are over bad positions groups.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I think Key has enough of a track record to reasonably think the problems lie elsewhere, even if his position group doesn't look great. Coleman is inexperienced as a coach, but people are sentimental about him.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Key has enough of a track record to reasonably think the problems lie elsewhere, even if his position group doesn't look great. Coleman is inexperienced as a coach, but people are sentimental about him.
thats one reason im not a big fan of hiring former players but i understand why people want to.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Coleman has done a fine job. We are also bringing in at least 2 4 start DTs in this recruiting class. Key also has a track record and is just starting to get to coach his guys. He is bringing in a 4 star OL this year as well. I also thought the OL played fine Saturday. We ran the ball very effectively and protection was okay. The issue was on Sims early. He missed several passes that would've opened the offense up.

I was dissapointed with the DL watching it live against NIU, but after reading @Ibeeballin comment in another thread about how many they were keeping in for protection I don't feel as bad. More concerned about the secondary.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just curious what the opinions were out there as to which position coach(Ed) or OC/DC should really be getting the sense of urgency for the need of immediate improvement or start job searching?
I thought the OL would make a bigger difference than they did. I expected to see huge holes and great amounts of pressing the NIU defensive line off the ball. I also expected to see more from Sims considering the preseason hype related to his improvement and time spent getting into rhythm with the WRs. I also expected to see more from our DL getting pressure, sacks, and chaos in the backfield but not too much of that either. Expected to see quicker adjustments on D to what NIU was doing with another year of Thacker working in his system and communication improvement in the backfield plus that being CGC signature area expected more. Special teams is still let’s say “especially unpredictable/reliable”. We didn’t make it through the first game with getting none blocked and second guessing a FG attempt due to lack of confidence in the process as a whole.” All of this has to be especially frustrating for Coach Choice. He has a room full of great RB especially Gibbs and he can’t really showcase his full repertoire of gifts because his QB missed him on a wide open TD opportunity and then the line let him down. We will be very fortunate if Gibbs shows the patience to continue to play at GT after this season. His future and draft stock rests in his resume of runs on the field. Hope he stays and stays healthy and injury free. In summary I was just surprised is all. I expected:had hoped for more! I honestly hope CGC figures this out and quickly! We’ve got a incredibly tough schedule and it can/could get really ugly out there and make it extremely difficult/frustrating for the players/fans/donors if the results don’t make a 180 and show better execution all the way around. Personally I hope they figure it out quickly and we get things rolling in the right direction.
Easy... Our offense is lame.... We fail to take advantage of what the other team is doing. We should of stretched the field with some deep posts... Their safeties lined up as line backers... I can't be the only person to had seen this.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think Coleman has done a fine job. We are also bringing in at least 2 4 start DTs in this recruiting class. Key also has a track record and is just starting to get to coach his guys. He is bringing in a 4 star OL this year as well. I also thought the OL played fine Saturday. We ran the ball very effectively and protection was okay. The issue was on Sims early. He missed several passes that would've opened the offense up.

I was dissapointed with the DL watching it live against NIU, but after reading @Ibeeballin comment in another thread about how many they were keeping in for protection I don't feel as bad. More concerned about the secondary.

I think Larry Knight recruited the DT's. Coleman coaches DE's. Fair to say Domineck has developed well. Jury is out, otherwise.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If we win 4 games or less this year, which seems likely, then we should pretty much clean house. Thacker, Key and Patenaude being the primary ones that need to go. None of them are getting the job done. I don't think the AD would let this happen though.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If we win 4 games or less this year, which seems likely, then we should pretty much clean house. Thacker, Key and Patenaude being the primary ones that need to go. None of them are getting the job done. I don't think the AD would let this happen though.

We aren't letting Key go. He could leave if things don't turn around. He almost did last year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We aren't letting Key go. He could leave if things don't turn around. He almost did last year.
I would assume that Collins would give most of the assistants he intends to move on from a chance to find something else. Nothing wrong with that at all.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I just want a coach that can have our DBs turn their heads and play the ball! It feels like we always give up big plays when we were in position to make a stop. The “6 foot” Richie jumped over our guys multiple times last game.