Where would we be with Okogie this year?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've said many times that I felt like this year's team would be a definite tourney team with Josh O on the roster, but what would our season look like?

Maybe I'm a little too-much glass half-full, but I think that we would easily be top 3-4 in the league right now. Out of conference would been much better as well.

Just curious what everyone thinks...

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I've said many times that I felt like this year's team would be a definite tourney team with Josh O on the roster, but what would our season look like?

Maybe I'm a little too-much glass half-full, but I think that we would easily be top 3-4 in the league right now. Out of conference would been much better as well.

IMO I think it is reasonable to argue we'd be 4-2 in conference and 15-4 overall.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I hadn’t really thought about it , but since you asked, it could have been pretty good. I see no reason why we wouldn’t have beat VT and Clemson in ACC, so 5-1. Out of conference, maybe everybody except Tennessee, so 17-2 overall, but maybe that’s being to optimistic. Wow, that would have been awesome.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Probably an upper half ACC team and a good chance of being on the good side of the bubble.

Problem with the hypothetical is you can't exactly plug a guy into the games that were played as they were played. In other words, just because we lost to VT by 3, we can't selectively say Okogie gets us 4 points, therefore we win. I mean, we can do that, but it's not really how it works as a game does not play out the same way.

I remember having similar conversations about "what if Bosh returned"? Though seriously, what if Bosh returned?? :coffee:

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone do WAR for men's college basketball? Hard to compare YOY but could give a hint.

I still have the "what if.. Bosh" thoughts on an all-too regular basis. Sigh.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this team likely would have been an NCAA team with him.
He would be a likely First team All-ACC candidate.
More important he does 2 things we don't really have right now. He gives you that guy that you can give the ball to in crunch time and say - we need some points.
He also would force every opponent to defend GT differently then they do now as they would all have to create their defensive schemes to stop him, making it easier for other reammates to get good opportunities to score they don't see this year.

I agree with Cuse that you can't just say he would get x points that we didn't get - but I do think it is reasonable to look at the schedule and think about wins and losses. My gut would be at least 15 wins at this point and at least 4-2, maybe 5-1 in the ACC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Similarly he would allow us to do different things on the defensive end. He was a very good and physical defender. In the zone he would close off one side. We would have the option to go man more than we do with him taking a lead scorer. Most of all he would help with our defensive rebounding issues. He was second on the team with 6+ rebounds last year. That alone would be huge.

I agree we are an NCAA team with him

GT_EE78

Banned

better, for sure, but it's a lot like asking how well Napolean would have done at Waterloo if he had sherman tanks.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The team would certainly have a guy who could create his own offense as well as open guys up to play their own games. Unfortunately he didn’t stick around (which is the way it goes sometimes) I just hope Zion leaves after this year. That kid is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
The team would certainly have a guy who could create his own offense as well as open guys up to play their own games. Unfortunately he didn’t stick around (which is the way it goes sometimes) I just hope Zion leaves after this year. That kid is a beast.

lucky for us ,most mocks have him #1 so hell take the money, probably all4 of them will go.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

If Zion stays, I might find that encouraging. It would mean he is missing something between the ears.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was unsure about this question until the last week or so when we've got AD back to 4 and playing him with Banks. Part of my thinking was, it would be hard to know what we'd have with Josh O if he still had to take classes and couldn't devote the time to basketball that he is now. Before the last week or so, we were too inconsistent and haphazard on O.

Now, the question of what we'd be if Josh had stayed becomes today's starting 5 except with Josh instead of CGB. Let it sink in.

We actually have a pretty interesting team now that CJP has decided that if he continued to say "live or die by the three," the answer would've been "die by the three" more times than not. With that being said, we're still not very good/consistent when we're playing the high-paced aggressive O that CJP wants to recruit to.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What do you think Tech’s record would be if Okogie had stayed?

I think it's hard to say.

Prior to the duke game I thought there was a good chance we'd have been 17-2 or 16-3 with Okogie. He just filled in the pieces we need and most of our losses were close enough where adding a guy who could make the impact that Okogie did could have been the difference. That was just from a straight adding what he would give us to the team type of thinking.

The other factor is mentally how much would it help a guy like Jose or even Haywood to not feel so much pressure to score. The biggest thing about him was that he was very good about getting to the line, and didn't rely on the 3 that much, although it was a threat with him at 38%, and so was very consistent in terms of scoring. Basically he would usually find away to score 15 or so even if his shot wasn't falling. I think there is a good chance that he could have had a positive impact on some of the other guys who are bearing too much responsibility too early.

I dunno. I think we'd be at least something like 18-7 or 19-6 right now.