Where we go from here...now and later

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was originally posting this in another thread, but figured it was different enough to warrant its own discussion and not derail someone else's thread.

I think this team has bought in 100% into what the coaching staff is selling. I'm not sure this was true earlier in the season. I love watching Agatha play basketball again. They're exciting and are very confident. They play together and are very unselfish.

The questions will be whether the staff will be able to keep this team grounded as the national expectations for their performance continues to rise? Will the staff be able to convince the new players to buy in as the caliber of athlete coming in improves and whether Pastner will be able to keep this staff intact. If we do lose someone from the staff, will Pastner be able to replace him with like quality or was the staff composition the result of bobinsky's contacts?

I think Hewitt's ego and his inability to replace departing staff members with like quality are the reasons he was unable to sustain his early success.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
No way of knowing but that'll be the sign of a good coach. As far as I know CJP basically assembled his own staff which is promising for his ability to replace staff members.

I'm a little hesitant to give MBob credit for anything. The whole scenario to me sounded like CJP seeked us out and not MBob going after CJP. Maybe MBob did play a part but from the outside it looked like he was constantly fumbling the whole situation.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No way of knowing but that'll be the sign of a good coach. As far as I know CJP basically assembled his own staff which is promising for his ability to replace staff members.

I'm a little hesitant to give MBob credit for anything. The whole scenario to me sounded like CJP seeked us out and not MBob going after CJP. Maybe MBob did play a part but from the outside it looked like he was constantly fumbling the whole situation.

I think more than likely MBob had a significant amount of input in the staff. Doesnt make up for other missteps for me though

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I was originally posting this in another thread, but figured it was different enough to warrant its own discussion and not derail someone else's thread.

I think this team has bought in 100% into what the coaching staff is selling. I'm not sure this was true earlier in the season. I love watching Agatha play basketball again. They're exciting and are very confident. They play together and are very unselfish.

The questions will be whether the staff will be able to keep this team grounded as the national expectations for their performance continues to rise? Will the staff be able to convince the new players to buy in as the caliber of athlete coming in improves and whether Pastner will be able to keep this staff intact. If we do lose someone from the staff, will Pastner be able to replace him with like quality or was the staff composition the result of bobinsky's contacts?

I think Hewitt's ego and his inability to replace departing staff members with like quality are the reasons he was unable to sustain his early success.
I can't vouch for Agatha's basketball skills (;)) but all of those questions have been running through my head as well. It's still hard to believe those are relevant questions this quickly.

Since I found no answers, ultimately I convinced myself to worry about it later. I'll enjoy the here and now. We've spent years thinking "what's next?" when the moment we've been waiting for is finally here.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My problem with MBob is he knew he was going to can CBG at the end of the season. The gun should have been locked & loaded. He was played by everyone he had on his list of candidates. It was very apparent whatever plan he had was not solid & neither were his back up plans. I have less experienced leaders on my staff & its not uncommon for them to make mistakes like this. They need to learn. I would not tolerate such buffoonery from my experienced guys.

I'm certainly no basketball expert, but I am impressed with how we seem to be using different tactics each game. I read yesterday Heyward played 38 mins. I missed the first half so I figured someone was injured. Looks like it was by design. It's probably easier for guys to buy-in when their role is being communicated to them well which appears to be the case. I'll cite Tadrick's role as another example. It would have been very easy for him to pick his toys up & go home but he obviously embraced his role. You don't get that without good leadership.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before but will again, CBG left guys who had sound fundamentals on D.

CPast and staff turned them into a team.

Jmo

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Definitely. Our teams under CBG played great D which is also why we were always in so many games in the end before the under 5 meltdown. We just had zero semblance of an offense coupled with our dead last in the country 3P%. With CJP, we actually have an offense where we can get some easy shots to build some rhythm for the 3 ball to actually start going in. That and we let players stay in the game long enough to get hot.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been curious, since CJP has mentioned that he had good defenses at Memphis, so here are the KenPom adjusted defense rankings for GT for the last 10 years, and for Memphis for Pastner's tenure. As of this moment, GT ranks 14th this year.

IMG_0103.jpg