Where the haters?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The players say he's genuine and the culture is the real deal. I do agree he's been over his head in some ways. To his credit he does seem capable of fixing things/learning (e.g. reduced penalties this year).

Hopefully he learns to be more direct in his press conferences and less defensive/gets a thicker skin. As far as goofiness he is who he is. It's not my style but the players and recruits like him. Yes he is selling but I think he genuinely believes in what he is selling and that it's good for the kids.

I personally am willing to be patient and give him a chance even if he's not my cup of tea.
This may best describe my feelings as well. I especially did not care for his failure to acknowledge how bad a loss it was to start the season to NIU. BUT, as much as he isn't my cup of tea, last night was a superb performance and worthy of great praise. If he can have us be a competitive program again, where we can compete for the Coastal title again, think about the ACC title, and maybe give UGa something to worry about then he can become a Hari Krishna and I won't care.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m rooting like heck for Collins. I have since he was hired because I pull for every GT coach because it’s my curse (ha). The way we lost to Pitt to end last season and the way we looked against NIU was the lowest of the lows. Last night was the first non-fabricated show of life. Collins rhetoric was not needed because his team finally SHOWED it on the field. That’s all we’ve wanted.

I really believe the defense has taken a step forward because we have young talented players. Ivey, Robinson, Kennard are studs. Our linebacker play is the best it’s been in over a decade. The secondary still has issues but we have talent coming up.

Offensively, I’m not ready to believe. Why? I remember how I felt after FSU last year. And I feel like that this morning. It’s a grea5 feeling but we know how it went as coaches adjusted to us. Sims is a talent. And he and Patenaude shredded UNC. Now, there is tape for our upcoming DC’s. What we ran was still very vanilla. The question is did it work last night because we are that good or did we simply catch UNC off guard? I tell you right now, those runs Sims had will get him smoked by UGA and probably VT. Kirby figured out the mesh read long ago.

I believe Collins can be a fine coach because the #1 ingredient is recruiting and he has that down. But, if he hitches his boat to Patenaude like he has it could hurt his career. I loved seeing Patenaude go with Gibbs and Smith together. Awesome and great. Now, come up with a system that uses their speed and mitigates our bad OLine. This season is going to be interesting to see if Patenaude can adjust to how the defense adjusts to Sims.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson looks like doo doo on offense. ACC network can stick itself on a Comcast remote if they want love from me. Arthur Blank's giant building will never match Jerry Jones'.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m rooting like heck for Collins. I have since he was hired because I pull for every GT coach because it’s my curse (ha). The way we lost to Pitt to end last season and the way we looked against NIU was the lowest of the lows. Last night was the first non-fabricated show of life. Collins rhetoric was not needed because his team finally SHOWED it on the field. That’s all we’ve wanted.
Amen. Some people won’t let it go.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Need 7 wins this year, then I'll be a believer, till then, I'm stuck on the fence. Great win though for sure!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this doesn’t get merged with another thread.

State your case. This team is LIT and after a faulty NIU game we have our number 1 Qb back.

Thacker and his 3-3-5 is shutting it down and Patenaude is using tempo(fast and slow) to wear down the D and set us up and burn clock.

Now that Sims has asserted himself back we have an ELITE runner and thrower at the helm. No offense to Yates but he doesn’t trot in from 50 out. (In all honesty I didn’t see until later but proves Sims ability) Players make plays and Collins players are doing just that.

Who can’t we beat?!
"Who can't we beat?" Alas, the corollary is true as well...who can't beat us? Perhaps, Duke but Cutliffe can be a real pain. It is a long season and Tech has done what Tech has done for years. They are giant killers of the first order. Since 2009, Tech has orchestrated 10 upsets of favored RANKED teams most notably back to back wins over #8 ranked UGA and Mississippi State in 2014...SEC speed notwithstanding. Also notable, were upsets over #6 Clemson in 2011 who was undefeated at the time and #4 Virginia Tech the same year. It is what we do.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'll play. Starting off still can't have two first and goals without a touchdown. After that they played very well.
I am usually only critical of Coach P....and...some clock management.
The defense figured, as far as I can tell, that the UNC QB got lost if the first two pass reads were covered. He was prone to hold the ball and make bad throws. The O scored plenty of points but the D really stepped up this game. How many sacks did we get?
I think we got 8. Most of them were probably coverage sacks. UNC did not run drag routes or shallow crossing routes but persisted in trying to throw slow developing long passes. Andrew might need his own get back coach after this.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
How many of us on this forum can honestly say that we have a clue how to relate to these 18-22 year old players? I know I don't have the slightest idea what it would take.

That said, I don't care what he does or how he dresses as long as he's able to set this program back in a positive direction.
I can't say that I can relate to them like he does. But I do have an almost-18 year old and a 22 year old and BOTH of them love how he talks about the program and think a lot of the things many people here dislike are the coolest parts. My almost-18 is not a huge football fan in general but thinks the vibe around GT's football program is cool. My 22 year old is a big GT fan, of course, but he's also his own guy and also loves the things Collins is doing and how he is relating to the players and the videos and all that stuff. I watch them and their friends and they don't feel he's fake and it doesn't even come up. Are they right? I don't know. Though parents of players also seem to feel he's genuine.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I really believe the defense has taken a step forward because we have young talented players. Ivey, Robinson, Kennard are studs. Our linebacker play is the best it’s been in over a decade. The secondary still has issues but we have talent coming up.

Offensively, I’m not ready to believe. Why? I remember how I felt after FSU last year. And I feel like that this morning. It’s a grea5 feeling but we know how it went as coaches adjusted to us. Sims is a talent. And he and Patenaude shredded UNC. Now, there is tape for our upcoming DC’s. What we ran was still very vanilla. The question is did it work last night because we are that good or did we simply catch UNC off guard? I tell you right now, those runs Sims had will get him smoked by UGA and probably VT. Kirby figured out the mesh read long ago.

I believe Collins can be a fine coach because the #1 ingredient is recruiting and he has that down. But, if he hitches his boat to Patenaude like he has it could hurt his career. I loved seeing Patenaude go with Gibbs and Smith together. Awesome and great. Now, come up with a system that uses their speed and mitigates our bad OLine. This season is going to be interesting to see if Patenaude can adjust to how the defense adjusts to Sims.
:gt::buzz:

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't say that I can relate to them like he does. But I do have an almost-18 year old and a 22 year old and BOTH of them love how he talks about the program and think a lot of the things many people here dislike are the coolest parts. My almost-18 is not a huge football fan in general but thinks the vibe around GT's football program is cool. My 22 year old is a big GT fan, of course, but he's also his own guy and also loves the things Collins is doing and how he is relating to the players and the videos and all that stuff. I watch them and their friends and they don't feel he's fake and it doesn't even come up. Are they right? I don't know. Though parents of players also seem to feel he's genuine.
This! Everything he does is for the players and/or to attract recruits and the majority of the kids that age love it. In addition, the way he acts is 100% just who he is and is not a show he puts on.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
fair enough. Say he gets us to the 7-8 game consistent win level with the occasional one off 10-11 win season and without the occasional one off 3 win season. Would you be okay with that? I guess I am asking how important is LIKING the coach to you (and others)?
Yeah then we’ll be back to where we were with CPJ

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow

I’m rooting for the team, Collins is not my cup of tea

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully this doesn’t get merged with another thread.

State your case. This team is LIT and after a faulty NIU game we have our number 1 Qb back.

Thacker and his 3-3-5 is shutting it down and Patenaude is using tempo(fast and slow) to wear down the D and set us up and burn clock.

Now that Sims has asserted himself back we have an ELITE runner and thrower at the helm. No offense to Yates but he doesn’t trot in from 50 out. (In all honesty I didn’t see until later but proves Sims ability) Players make plays and Collins players are doing just that.

Who can’t we beat?!
Haters? I just hate loosing!