Where do we go from here?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't know where "we" go from here. Where I go from here is to follow other GT sports more and wait for something to justify spending my time on GT football.

There's a lot to look forward to in volleyball and M&W basketball. Baseball may even overcome recent non-performance to talent levels.
Really good golf team. We have dominated the ACC in that sport more than any other.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could say I was the one that researched this, but it was someone else on another board first posted about this.

In the last 11 years (2013-2023) we are 11-21 against FBS OOC opponents, and given that we went 4-0 in both 2014 and 2016 against FBS OOC opponents GT is 3-21 over the last 11 years outside of those 2 years with a game against UGA remaining. This does not include the 2020 loss to ND as that is considered a conference game.

A little schedule digging also reveals the following.
We are currently on a 11 game losing streak against FBS OOC opponents.
The last win over a FBS OOC opponent was a 14-10 win over South Florida on Sep 7, 2019. Of course, that was immediately offset by losing to The Citadel and Temple in the next 2 games.
The next most recent FBS OOC win is over Bowling Green on Sep 29, 2018.
Our last win over a FBS P5 OOC opponent is a 28-16 win against Kentucky in the Gator Bowl on Dec 31, 2016. The last regular season win over a FBS OOC opponent is against UGA 28-27 on Nov 26, 2016.
Our last home win over a FBS P5 OOC opponent is a 38-7 win over Vandy on Sep 17, 2016.
We suck...or we have sucked for some time now. It is why I am sick and tired of losing, and why our fanbase is so dispirited.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We suck...or we have sucked for some time now. It is why I am sick and tired of losing, and why our fanbase is so dispirited.
Nah, it is the fans fault that we have been in a downward spiral in football, basketball and baseball. Iff the fans stopped complaining about the poor results, but instead just attended more games and donated more money, the teams would perform better.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nah, it is the fans fault that we have been in a downward spiral in football, basketball and baseball. Iff the fans stopped complaining about the poor results, but instead just attended more games and donated more money, the teams would perform better.
I take it this was said in sarcasm? I missed the emoji explaining it....

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
On Saturday we go to miami.

They have acc top offense and defense.

Our defense is dead last.

Our offense run game is middle of pack.but our passing game is tied for first w Miami.

it's cool that the Miami qb is tied with our qb for top of acc in passing.

Time to refocus.

If we play passive defense this could get ugly in 4th quarter
Better not miss a turn on offense…

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
And not to put too fine a point on it but Tech hasn’t had any “gimmie” games in over four years. We are just not good enough to sleep walk through any game and automatically win.
It’s good to have a HC provide encourage to his team, but Key should certainly have chosen his words better when he stated to the media - and thus his squad - that Tech was a “good” team. That didn’t age well.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish I could say I was the one that researched this, but it was someone else on another board first posted about this.

In the last 11 years (2013-2023) we are 11-21 against FBS OOC opponents, and given that we went 4-0 in both 2014 and 2016 against FBS OOC opponents GT is 3-21 over the last 11 years outside of those 2 years with a game against UGA remaining. This does not include the 2020 loss to ND as that is considered a conference game.

A little schedule digging also reveals the following.
We are currently on a 11 game losing streak against FBS OOC opponents.
The last win over a FBS OOC opponent was a 14-10 win over South Florida on Sep 7, 2019. Of course, that was immediately offset by losing to The Citadel and Temple in the next 2 games.
The next most recent FBS OOC win is over Bowling Green on Sep 29, 2018.
Our last win over a FBS P5 OOC opponent is a 28-16 win against Kentucky in the Gator Bowl on Dec 31, 2016. The last regular season win over a FBS OOC opponent is against UGA 28-27 on Nov 26, 2016.
Our last home win over a FBS P5 OOC opponent is a 38-7 win over Vandy on Sep 17, 2016.

Although this is focused on OOC, it sorta confirms my thoughts.

Having been a season ticket holder for the last three years, I've only missed a couple home games over that time. A 4-5 hour drive from the Charleston, SC area. I sit and watch the WF game on the road from home and see us pull off the upset in a hard-fought game at their place. I hop in the car with my hopes refreshed looking forward to being a 22-pt home favorite. I sit for 3 hours in the blazing sun and watch a complete flop in every aspect. Yes, 3 hours because I had another 4-5 hour drive home and chose to hit the road after the pick-6. Walked back to my car watching the rest on my phone hoping I bailed early and missed the big comeback.

It seems all our big wins and best performances happen on the road. Then we get to see the letdown game when they get home.

I guess that leaves me wondering. Should we make home an even more hostile location? She we dress out to support the visiting team and cheer for them? Make it feel more like a road game since the team seems to get up more for those?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Well Daniel,

That damn GT rollercoaster sure as hell went bezerko in just 7 days and took you on a helluva ride! @TooTall called it, just go down to Miami and get back to .500.

Key went from big question marks to generating an immense amount of goodwill in an extraordinarily short period of time.

GT football will send you to an early grave, you just won't know if it will be from extreme happiness or immense despair. Enjoy, as one thing's for certain- it will be a wild ride!

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Well Daniel,

That damn GT rollercoaster sure as hell went bezerko in just 7 days and took you on a helluva ride! @TooTall called it, just go down to Miami and get back to .500.

Key went from big question marks to generating an immense amount of goodwill in an extraordinarily short period of time.

GT football will send you to an early grave, you just won't know if it will be from extreme happiness or immense despair. Enjoy, as one thing's for certain- it will be a wild ride!
This team is bipolar

and I LOVE IT!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
People have round shoulders from fairing heavy loads
And the soldiers liberate them, laying mines along their roads
Sorrow paid for valor is too much to recall
Of the countless corpses piled up along the wailing wall

Melting down all metals, turning plows and shears to swords
Shun words of the Bible, we need implements of war
Chalklines and red puddles of those who have been slain
Destiny, that crooked schemer, says the dead shall rise again

And should we really care?
The end is finally here
God have mercy

Now we've rewritten history
The one thing we've found out
Sweet taste of vindication
It turns to ashes in your mouth

And should we really care?
The end is finally here
God have mercy

If you're fighting to live
It's okay to die
The answer to your question is
Welcome to tomorrow

- Megadeth

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s good to have a HC provide encourage to his team, but Key should certainly have chosen his words better when he stated to the media - and thus his squad - that Tech was a “good” team. That didn’t age well.
(I believe this comment actually aged a little more poorly, but to each their own.)