When will we get our day?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My guess for the soonest date is after the CWS is over, because I don't see Ramsey as the answer, though I do like him, and hopefully our future coach is still coaching. But honestly, I think it will be next year.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
My guess for the soonest date is after the CWS is over, because I don't see Ramsey as the answer, though I do like him, and hopefully our future coach is still coaching. But honestly, I think it will be next year.
Agreed. I suspect that the team did just enough to buy Coach Hall that last season on his contract. I agree with what I believe to be the consensus of this board that it is time for a change. I would not be at all surprised, in fact I think I'm expecting, that Coach Ramsey will be named the coach in waiting sometime over the next 6 weeks.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. I suspect that the team did just enough to buy Coach Hall that last season on his contract. I agree with what I believe to be the consensus of this board that it is time for a change. I would not be at all surprised, in fact I think I'm expecting, that Coach Ramsey will be named the coach in waiting sometime over the next 6 weeks.
I used the phrase “used car salesman” in another post in reference to coaches selling false narratives. CJR is a victim to that as well. He came to GT with the expectation that CDH was going to retire when his son finished his playing career.

“Leadership does not equal tenure. Tenure does not equal leadership”

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree 100%. Spend the $500K it would cost to fire him to buy some pitchers and build some momentum going into Ramsay’s first year.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. Spend the $500K it would cost to fire him to buy some pitchers and build some momentum going into Ramsay’s first year.
I prefer this option as well with whoever J Batt decides, be it Ramsey or a proven successful winner in D1 ball.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
This is sad.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.png
    IMG_1742.png
    530.1 KB · Views: 132

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I prefer this option as well with whoever J Batt decides, be it Ramsey or a proven successful winner in D1 ball.
Now that the season is over, I'll ask this question....do we really think we can get a proven, successful winner? I guess part of that depends on your definition of proven and successful, but my definition would be someone who has taken at least one team to a super regional. I'm skeptical we can attract that kind of coach. If Tex and the other boosters wanted Hall gone and were willing to throw their money behind someone like that, then maybe, but I don't see that as likely. What other schools recently have made such a hire? FSU got Link Jarrett, but he is an alumni coming home, plus FSU is more a blue blood than we are. Clemson got Bakich from Michigan, so that is another example. Miami and North Carolina hired from within, and most SEC schools go with the assistant who has paid his dues on successful teams. LSU did steal Jay Johnson from Arizona, and Texas A&M stole Schlossnagle from TCU. Of those, Clemson is the only one I would consider a peer to Georgia Tech from a financial standpoint, and even they are slightly better off financially, I would think. Are there any others?

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Now that the season is over, I'll ask this question....do we really think we can get a proven successful winner? I guess part of that depends on your definition of proven and successful, but my defintion would be someone who has taken at least one team to a super regional. I'm skeptical we can attract that kind of coach. If Tex and the other boosters wanted Hall gone and were willing to throw their money behind someone like that, then maybe, but I don't see that as likely. What other schools recently have made such a hire? FSU got Link Jarrett, but he is an alumni coming home, plus FSU is more a blue blood than we are. Clemson got Bakich from Michigan, so that is another example. Are there any others?
Tex does not want Danny gone. Danny’s players especially Texiera are very very loyal to him. Hall will retire on his own accord. My guess is he has 1 year left at Tech and Ramsey will take over

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tex does not want Danny gone. Danny’s players especially Texiera are very very loyal to him. Hall will retire on his own accord. My guess is he has 1 year left at Tech and Ramsey will take over
I guess that as good as any, and most likely correct.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Now that the season is over, I'll ask this question....do we really think we can get a proven, successful winner? I guess part of that depends on your definition of proven and successful, but my defintion would be someone who has taken at least one team to a super regional. I'm skeptical we can attract that kind of coach. If Tex and the other boosters wanted Hall gone and were willing to throw their money behind someone like that, then maybe, but I don't see that as likely. What other schools recently have made such a hire? FSU got Link Jarrett, but he is an alumni coming home, plus FSU is more a blue blood than we are. Clemson got Bakich from Michigan, so that is another example. Are there any others?
All I'm saying is that it should be J Batt's decision and neither you or I do not know if there is a Link Jarrett caliber coach living in a podunk college town which would be willing to move him and his wife to the capital of the south to enjoy life in a big city or not. College sports is a big business and has been for quite awhile. We need to treat it like a business and J Batt and Cabrera seem to understand that. That means doing the due diligence necessary to find the best coach going forward. If that means passing over Ramsey, so be it. I dont necessarily like that but IIWIS in today'sworld of college sports. As I understand it, Ramsey is only making 150K$ + so we could easily treat him with a financial package to help heal his wounds if it comes down to that. Anyway, as I have said, this decision should be 100% Batt's decision in my opinion. If that means Batt waiting another year to not piss off Danny and Tex, I am fine with that too.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Moranda was just gushing about him yesterday.

I think once you get too close to the person, you can't be objective any longer. See: Tex, Bobby M. etc

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
These teams made it to Game 6 of their regional and aren't blue bloods.

Southern Miss, Indiana State, Louisiana, Southeast Mo, Coastal Carolina (High Point had a good showing...HP!), UCF, UConn is in Game 7 today, James Madison, West Va, Grand Canyon, UC Irvine, Evansville, East Carolina

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
These teams made it to Game 6 of their regional and aren't blue bloods.

Southern Miss, Indiana State, Louisiana, Southeast Mo, Coastal Carolina (High Point had a good showing...HP!), UCF, UConn is in Game 7 today, James Madison, West Va, Grand Canyon, UC Irvine, Evansville, East Carolina
The flip side of that is we made it farther than Wake, Vandy, Arkansas, Arizona, Duke, South Carolina, Texas. As a side note, I wonder how excited the Wake boosters are to spend more NIL after all their money on Burns and the other 1st round picks didn't get them a single postseason win.

I'm not really sure what to think of where our program is. Yes, I do think it's time to have a succession plan on the head coach. The on field results for the past 18 years have been too frustrating. And it feels like our overall talent is not where it was 10-15 years ago. Outside of Burress, is there anybody on that field for us last night that's going to play in MLB one day?

That said, I think this team was a pleasant surprise. Rely on transfers and lesser talent than what we're used to. Didn't even have a single pitcher with an ERA under 4.00. Most preseason projections did not have them making the NCAA Tourney. Wound up making the regional final and better than all those teams listed above. So I can appreciate what this team pulled together for the year, but I still desperately wish for the program to figure out how to get that next step again, and I just don't see that happening until the plan for a new coach is in place.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That is sad. Kind of drives it home.

I would be curious on this board to see what the consensus is with regard to what a realistic level of success is that should be expected for this program.
This is a great question. I assume it's been covered for the other sports... namely basketball and football. ...and I think its come up on this forum over the years too.

I cannot really quantify it; but I just don't believe Ga Tech is positioned NIL, ... money, in general... to compete with the elites in any of the big 3 sports... including baseball.

Danny Hall arrived over 30 years ago... and college baseball has changed so much in that time. When attributing/mapping accountability to results, it is difficult for me to know exactly how much goes on Hall and how much is stuff out of his control (admin not fully bought in, changing baseball landscape, etc). A lot goes on Hall.. for sure. He's the head coach.

I am ready for a new head coach. I'm not going to stand on a table and demand Hall be fired or run out of town. I just don't believe any alternative now or 15 years ago would have had any more truly measurable success. Easy to speculate; but impossible to know.

I am empathetic to those who have been waiting for 10-15 years for Hall to be gone and have continued to support the program. Your frustration is obvious and not unfounded. In hindsight, those who assessed we'd never see post-season success for nearly 20 years... credit to you for seeing the warts well before I did.

Back to the question about definition of success. I do not expect Ga Tech to compete with the elites in any sport. Perhaps JBatt and Cabrera have some huge plan to jump up into that upper tier of D1 athletics. I'll believe that as it develops.. but not before. That said... re baseball, already said I can't quantify it; but here goes anyway. Ga Tech should still manage to be:

Top 3rd of the ACC consistently (over .500)
Compete for ACC titles consistently
Make post-season consistently
Host Regionals (33% of the time)
Win Regionals (25% of the time)
CWS (more often than never... but moons would have to align)