When it’s all said & done: J.Gibbs

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I think that J. Gibbs is the most dynamic athlete we have had since Calvin Johnson. It’s amazing that as rare as both these individuals are/were that both times the supporting casts required for them to fully reach their potential and fully feel and benefit from their presence on the team are not in place. When Calvin was here we didn’t have a highly effective quarter back to throw to him. Now with Gibbs we don’t have a decent OL for him to run behind. It makes me wonder if Gibbs were to have the opportunity to sit down with CJ one on one what his advice to Gibbs would be stay and get your GT degree or transfer and really up your draft status and make big $$$ on the NIL market at a program where the pieces are there for him to excel Day #1?
It is amazing that one day we will all be watching Gibbs set records in the NFL and put his skills on full display and have to know that we had him here on the Flats and we’re not able to capitalize on his talents. Gibbs and GT are VERY fortunate to have Choice here to not only get these RB here but has a unique way of building a incredible bond that makes them want to stay and play for him here at GT. I also wonder if Choice were able to fully take off his Gold tinted glasses what his advice for Gibbs would be. Stay and tough it out or go and grow those God given talents because you’re only given 1 shot?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think that J. Gibbs is the most dynamic athlete we have had since Calvin Johnson. It’s amazing that as rare as both these individuals are/were that both times the supporting casts required for them to fully reach their potential and fully feel and benefit from their presence on the team are not in place. When Calvin was here we didn’t have a highly effective quarter back to throw to him. Now with Gibbs we don’t have a decent OL for him to run behind. It makes me wonder if Gibbs were to have the opportunity to sit down with CJ one on one what his advice to Gibbs would be stay and get your GT degree or transfer and really up your draft status and make big $$$ on the NIL market at a program where the pieces are there for him to excel Day #1?
It is amazing that one day we will all be watching Gibbs set records in the NFL and put his skills on full display and have to know that we had him here on the Flats and we’re not able to capitalize on his talents. Gibbs and GT are VERY fortunate to have Choice here to not only get these RB here but has a unique way of building a incredible bond that makes them want to stay and play for him here at GT. I also wonder if Choice were able to fully take off his Gold tinted glasses what his advice for Gibbs would be. Stay and tough it out or go and grow those God given talents because you’re only given 1 shot?
Choice would likely follow his own advice from 14 years ago as he has clearly stated what a wise choice it was.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs is extremely talented, but, given my druthers, I'd take Dwyer in a minute. Dwyer could have made even the OL we have now look decent. He was almost as fast as Gibbs, weighed 25 pounds more, and hit holes like a bulldozer.

Now, with ND's OL, yeah, Gibbs.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, as of right now, I don’t view him as one of our greats because he hasn’t played a meaningful snap his whole career thanks to Geoff Collins. Choice was a part of upsetting #2 Miami and going to the ACC Championship game. Dwyer was a part of two thrilling victories against FSU, a comeback against BC, a win against the mutts and an ACC Championship. At this rate, I’m not going to remember a snap from Gibbs career.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sadly, as of right now, I don’t view him as one of our greats because he hasn’t played a meaningful snap his whole career thanks to Geoff Collins. Choice was a part of upsetting #2 Miami and going to the ACC Championship game. Dwyer was a part of two thrilling victories against FSU, a comeback against BC, a win against the mutts and an ACC Championship. At this rate, I’m not going to remember a snap from Gibbs career.

This is a very harsh take imo. We have had many, many outstanding backs at GT - Mays, Lavette, Choice, Dwyer, Bell,Daniels,Laskey, etc. But JG is in a class with only ELI as far as RB's go in terms of just jumping off the field or TV screen. Saying he isn't an all timer bc of who he plays with is like saying Dan Marino wasn't agood QB bc he didn't win a SB.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Judging an individual’s career based off the teams success is laughable. With your logic Calvin isn’t one of the Lion’s greats.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This is a very harsh take imo. We have had many, many outstanding backs at GT - Mays, Lavette, Choice, Dwyer, Bell,Daniels,Laskey, etc. But JG is in a class with only ELI as far as RB's go in terms of just jumping off the field or TV screen. Saying he isn't an all timer bc of who he plays with is like saying Dan Marino wasn't agood QB bc he didn't win a SB.

Judging an individual’s career based off the teams success is laughable. With your logic Calvin isn’t one of the Lion’s greats.

You guys are too sensitive. I’m not saying he’s not a great individual player, but I don’t think he’s a GT legend right now because no one is going to remember anything he’s accomplished yet because he’s not playing any games that matter. We’ve won three games. This season is a big nothing burger. I am sorry but I know in 10 years I’m not going to remember he was first in APY this year the way that I remember someone like JD’s highlights from ten years ago because they are memorable because the games were memorable because we won. That is how legacies endure. We remember.

Dan Marino is not a valid comparison because he played meaningful games. He played in a SB. He went to the playoffs multiple times. He won a lot of games. A more adapt comparison would be someone like Archie Manning or our own Steve Bartkowski. Both are probably easily hall of famers if they played for even average franchises.

Calvin Johnson is a great example about how the type of games you play in affect your legacy. He became a household name and was on the cover of Madden the year after The Lions made it to the playoffs. Compare that to when they went 0-16 and Calvin led the league in TD receptions and was 5th in receiving yards…and didn’t even get a Pro-Bowl invitation.

Legacies last when people remember you. It’s hard to remember great players when they aren’t a part of any memorable games. That’s all I’m saying.

I’ve been to every home game this year and the first thing I can think of is him scoring against Clemson that didn’t count. Why? Because at the time that was a big deal. It sunk in my memory.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs has more natural talent than most of the backs we have had at GT. He still has technique things to work on to be great. I’d rather have the 2014 Senior version of Laskey than Gibbs at this point in time but Gibbs can be elite in time as his technique matures.

This isn’t a dig at Gibbs or Collins, just my opinion of where he is natural talent wise vs developed potential. I have been impressed with his willingness to block on plays as well.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Gibbs has more natural talent than most of the backs we have had at GT. He still has technique things to work on to be great. I’d rather have the 2014 Senior version of Laskey than Gibbs at this point in time but Gibbs can be elite in time as his technique matures.

This isn’t a dig at Gibbs or Collins, just my opinion of where he is natural talent wise vs developed potential. I have been impressed with his willingness to block on plays as well.
He leads the nation in All Purpose yards, what?

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
With apologies to nitpick, but it’s a difficult comparison between a two-year college athlete and 17-year pro.

But if we wanted to go there, Marino is remembered simply for his career yards. Well, the offense revolved around him his entire career disproportionately. And that memory of his yards is fading as his marks are being overtaken.

And that leads to Gibbs leading in APY: sure, in the absence of others and being involved three ways on offense there is an advantage in simple opportunity. Which of course is not to say the young man doesn’t hasn’t talent.

Which leads to B-GnW’s comment about not remembering him generally: I’d tend to agree in that we have had a great individual talent with no signature moment or impact. And that’s what his legacy is **at this point.

Or, what if CGC and CDP hadn’t left him on the sidelines at the prime moment this season against Clemson…

**we must have Gibbs for the next couple years if this program will have a turning point, hence also a legacy

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Not exactly subtle.
Laskey made a big jump from 2013 to 2014. He hit the hole a lot lower and he was patient to let the line engage (or cut) before driving forward to maximize his yardage. Gibbs just isn’t there yet and in his defense our O line blocking has been very inconsistent. In 2014 it was pretty easy to trust Freddie and Shaq to make a hole. That is all I meant.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Laskey had 851 yds and 5 ypc as a senior. His team went 11-3 and was ranked in the top 10. JG has 745 yards and 5.3 ypc on a team that has won 3 to date and may not win another this season. Never mind his other yards 9receiving, kicks, etc.) His offensive line "is what it is". I don't know if we have had any backs ever that would have positive rushing yardage this year. I am assuming that you watch the games.

Jerrelle Williams was a fine LB for us. But to say he was better than Keith Brooking bc his team won a NC and Brooking's didn't is absurd. I think this analogy is simialr to what you and others are saying. And, btw, I love me some Zach Laskey.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Some of ya'll are unreal. Gibbs is an awesome player and a 3 year college player for sure. If I am him, I stick with Coach Choice who he knows will get him ready for the combine. Hopefully we can win 8 games next year and get him some awards. Whatever happens, he has been the one great thing we have had going for us and I am gonna look at that positively.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Look for uga to key on him as he’s our only threat.

God I know I’ve said I’m so detached from football at this point, but I’m setting myself for heartbreak on Saturday. And my uga cousin will be watching with me.

But…a small part of me is optimistic. Always is. But that’s my heart talking and not my brain.

Can you imagine the upset tho Lmaooo