When does Pastner feel heat

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Are we saying “Rutgers runs a deficit and has a ranked basketball program, so we should run a deficit too”?
I’m saying people like to use GTAA’s debt as an excuse to be content with a garbage basketball program, when there are numerous other places in just as bad financial shape who are proving you can still field a competitive team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m saying people like to use GTAA’s debt as an excuse to be content with a garbage basketball program, when there are numerous other places in just as bad financial shape who are proving you can still field a competitive team.
I mean, it helps to hire better coaches in the first place, the way UConn & Rutgers did.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I mean, it helps to hire better coaches in the first place, the way UConn & Rutgers did.
Totally agree. I hope our next one is a lot more similar to the guys at UConn and Rutgers than the one we have now.

Also re: the Rutgers article. It’s honestly pretty stunning what’s going on there. I can’t imagine that level of controversy that’s going on there happening here. I feel like GTAA would be shut down completely if something like that came out about us.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Watching ACC Network and there is a doc on about Charlie Ward and interestingly enough he was boo'd by fans after looking completely bad. He had a "breaking out game" where the right things came to together and the light bulb clicked. Ironically it was against GT, FSU was down at the half and Ward had thrown I think 4 interceptions. Going into the 4th qtr down 21-7, FSU decided that they needed to go to in hurry up offense/shotgun offense and this became Ward's breakout game and FSU running the shotgun offense the rest of time he was at FSU which in return he received every major award including the Heisman and National Championship! I'm not saying this could happen with our player(s), but in this forum we mention a lot about our offense not aligning with our players and CJP stubbornness with trashing it. So the moral of the story, had FSU kept Ward in the pocket he would've kept getting boo'd. The quarterback coach said he went to Bowden and adamantly said we aren't going to win staying in the pocket with Ward so they bagged it. Two different sports & different players, but I understand that message. Bowden said he would have never been willing to change his offense for a player......

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Just clarifying..... the UConn rabid fanbase that will do anything for basketball gives $2 million while the awful terrible Tech faithful (who we are constantly told suck and just need to give more money) give 3.5x that amount, or $7MM?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Appears that maybe something is going to happen.

"Before the season, it appeared that multiple factors, including the cost of the football coaching transition and the recent success of the basketball team, made the possibility of a change with Pastner highly unlikely. But the lack of success and a decline in attendance at McCamish Pavilion have drawn the concern of new athletic director J Batt, a person familiar with the situation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution."
"... a change would be costly, but manageable... Pastner has three years remaining on his contract, and the buyout, which could be paid out over those three years, would be around $2.5 million."

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: As losses mount, so does presstre on Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Such a ****ing horrible conversation to have just 18 months after landing a kid we spent so long discussing about how much we wanted him.

God damn I……ugghhh
I mean, am I wrong? I’m not saying I don’t want him, I’m saying his shots are way off the mark even when his feet are set. I’m not sure what happened and maybe it can be corrected, but usually with a good shooter the shots always look like they’re going to go, but just don’t fall sometimes. That’s what it looked like last year. This year, not so much.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Appears that maybe something is going to happen.

"Before the season, it appeared that multiple factors, including the cost of the football coaching transition and the recent success of the basketball team, made the possibility of a change with Pastner highly unlikely. But the lack of success and a decline in attendance at McCamish Pavilion have drawn the concern of new athletic director J Batt, a person familiar with the situation told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution."
"... a change would be costly, but manageable... Pastner has three years remaining on his contract, and the buyout, which could be paid out over those three years, would be around $2.5 million."

The Atlanta Journal Constitution: As losses mount, so does presstre on Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner.
That’s nothing compared to what we’ve been dealing with in football. So it’s possible they make a move.

But look, for all the heat on Pastner’s system I really don’t blame that as much as his inability to land a blue chip recruit as he promised during his presser after his hire. It’s still possible that Miles Kelly, Jalon Moore, and Devon Coleman pan out to be great players and we add a player that changes everything next year. But man right now none of these guys has the killer instinct and the ability to just go get a bucket when we need one. The 2021 team had three guys that we could go to when we needed a bucket.

It’s clear that Pastner went into this season feeling like these guys could shoot lights out and that we’d live and die with jumpers. Well, that didn’t turn out to be the case and we are mostly just dying right now. But because we are so undersized we just don’t have another option.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We would probably have to go winless the rest of the way for us to fire Pastner this year. He is only a few years removed from winning the ACC Championship and, unlike TFG, has some success to at least give ADJB some hope he can turn it around. I imagine there will be a conversation at the end of the year to discuss what they both believe to be required to make the program successful. I would imagine more money for assistants and support staff similar to what Key now has for football are in order. After that, if we do not see improvement next year, I imagine J will then make a change. Just one idiot's opinion.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This is one of those situations where Pastner has to answer what he will do to turn things around next year at the very least. I personally believe his assistants are not getting it done and if no changes there he will not make it past next year. These guys are important recruiting, scouting, and developing skills. It's a tough business but these guys make a lot of money coaching a kids game. I doubt many of the fans made or are making $300K+ a year which in this profession isn't that much.
Without a really good big man coming in next year I wouldn't expect any significant improvement.
He might get another year but he is on the "measured mile" if he does and my experience in the business world says he comes up short.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This is one of those situations where Pastner has to answer what he will do to turn things around next year at the very least. I personally believe his assistants are not getting it done and if no changes there he will not make it past next year. These guys are important recruiting, scouting, and developing skills. It's a tough business but these guys make a lot of money coaching a kids game. I doubt many of the fans made or are making $300K+ a year which in this profession isn't that much.
Without a really good big man coming in next year I wouldn't expect any significant improvement.
He might get another year but he is on the "measured mile" if he does and my experience in the business world says he comes up short.
If I were Batt I'd tell him that he has to make changes in his staff this off season ore he himself will be gone. The HUGE question is whether Pastner is competent as a head coach in hiring good assistants. The jury right now would say "no". My recollection was that the AD when Pastner was hired insisted on hiring or at least approving all the assistant hires, as he came from a basketball school/background.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We would probably have to go winless the rest of the way for us to fire Pastner this year. He is only a few years removed from winning the ACC Championship and, unlike TFG, has some success to at least give ADJB some hope he can turn it around. I imagine there will be a conversation at the end of the year to discuss what they both believe to be required to make the program successful. I would imagine more money for assistants and support staff similar to what Key now has for football are in order. After that, if we do not see improvement next year, I imagine J will then make a change. Just one idiot's opinion.
I agree with your bottom line but question whether you give more money for assistants unless both sides are committing for multiple years and there is going to be turnover on the current staff. Will be tough to upgrade the staff if CJP is on a one year put up or else basis

Support staff is an interesting question given that unless there are significant exits through the portal, we are posing to be looking for one transfer big. Now if you are talking about an offensive system consultant then let’s talk.

If there is going to be a multi year commitment then all the things you listed on on the table plus academic limitations on recruits. Regardless I expect there is going to be a long discussion on offensive system and what changes are in the offing

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m certainly hoping that Cyril Martinov will make a big jump next year. He has the credentials but is very young. Who knows…

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your bottom line but question whether you give more money for assistants unless both sides are committing for multiple years and there is going to be turnover on the current staff. Will be tough to upgrade the staff if CJP is on a one year put up or else basis

Support staff is an interesting question given that unless there are significant exits through the portal, we are posing to be looking for one transfer big. Now if you are talking about an offensive system consultant then let’s talk.

If there is going to be a multi year commitment then all the things you listed on on the table plus academic limitations on recruits. Regardless I expect there is going to be a long discussion on offensive system and what changes are in the offing
With regards to support staff, I was thinking about experienced coaches who no longer want the grind of recruiting but can help with offensive system consulting as you suggested, but also some local HS/AAU coaches to help make more inroads in recruiting in the Atlanta area.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
One ACC team in the ranked top 10. Neither Duke nor UNC ranked - at all- in the third week of January.
Plus, Louisville has become one of the worst teams in the nation.
In other words, it is a down year for the ACC. Maybe one of its worst in recent memory.
And Tech is at the bottom of it.

If that's not a signal for a time for a change, I don't know what is. And I have been a Pastner supporter. But it's now clear this program really isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
After the Syracuse game, he's one step closer...

Once any Program gets into a downward spiral like this one, coaching rumors start, recruiting suffers, and fan support drops dramatically. I received a robo phone call
from Pastner in his first year and he was so positive and enthusiastic, I felt like he would produce a top level program! Regretfully, that has not materialized.