When does Pastner feel heat

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck

how can you be patient with ...
Whether or not a person responds to a situation with patience depends on the person, not the situation. You can be stuck in traffic and whether or not you are patient will not change the flow of traffic.

Patience, skepticism, optimism or pessimist: all of that goes out the window as soon as the games begin. Then, fans will judge the coach game by game, same as usual.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think you can really assert “because they lost Devoe and Usher, Georgia Tech will be bad.” The dynamic of this team is going to be much different than last year and multiple guys will be forced into roles that they may excel at or not. Can’t really tell which at the moment, so I agree with MtnWasp.

What we do know is we have a well-liked coach who has been pretty consistently successful at getting the most out of his players. Not saying we are guaranteed an at-large but I wouldn’t count it out if things click in the new roles and we get some impactful transfer play.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
how can you be patient with a coach in his 7th year who has us picked last? please explain

Because pre season projections don't mean anything especially extremely superficial ones like this.

How can we be patient? We have a team that has a good combination of returning experience and long term potential. We return our starting PG and Center, which are usually seen generically as the most important positions, and we have a multitude of options on the wing to put out alongside them. While Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, Moore, Smith, Terry, and Franklin aren't nearly as proven as Devoe and Usher, it is a deep group to pick from which makes it more likely that we'll have one or two step up. We aren't going to play the average of that group. The best will play, which is why the depth is important even if we don't go 9 or 10 deep. Helps that Coleman, Kelly, Smith, Terry, and Franklin all have a good amount of experience playing at this level as well. But preseason projections are going to, understandably, go with proven returning talent even if college ball is what it is primarily because the best players are constantly moving on and there is always opportunities for new stars to shine. While projections aren't going to bank on it, I doubt anyone would really be surprised if we saw Sturdivant and Howard play at a solid ACC starter level and then a combo of, for example, Coleman, Kelly, and Maxwell step up and provide enough fire power to get us in as the 6th or 7th ACC team, or possibly 8th or 9th if the ACC is unexpectedly strong.

Where the patience comes in is the roster.

Going by Eligibility here is our roster. What I mean is if they have one year of eligibility left, I'm calling them a senior. Two will be a junior. etc.

SR
Franklin

Jr
Sturdivant
Howard
Terry

Soph
Coleman
Kelly
Smith
Maxwell
Meka
Moore

Fr
Martynov
Bagatskis
Hill (Walk on but former 3* prospect who had multiple offers from Major P5 level programs)

After this year we're only guaranteed to lose Franklin, and even after NEXT year we're still looking at 9 players who could be here in 2 years time. Obviously in today's age unexpected departures are a thing you have to live with so I highly doubt all 9 will be here by then, but it is likely we have most of our core for the 24-25 year currently on the team. So while the roster is set up where it could realistically have a surprise decent year, it's really well set up for sustained success in the years that followed building on what we do this year. This isn't like Gregory's last team where everyone was scheduled to leave and so we had to have the payoff then.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Because pre season projections don't mean anything especially extremely superficial ones like this.

How can we be patient? We have a team that has a good combination of returning experience and long term potential. We return our starting PG and Center, which are usually seen generically as the most important positions, and we have a multitude of options on the wing to put out alongside them. While Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, Moore, Smith, Terry, and Franklin aren't nearly as proven as Devoe and Usher, it is a deep group to pick from which makes it more likely that we'll have one or two step up. We aren't going to play the average of that group. The best will play, which is why the depth is important even if we don't go 9 or 10 deep. Helps that Coleman, Kelly, Smith, Terry, and Franklin all have a good amount of experience playing at this level as well. But preseason projections are going to, understandably, go with proven returning talent even if college ball is what it is primarily because the best players are constantly moving on and there is always opportunities for new stars to shine. While projections aren't going to bank on it, I doubt anyone would really be surprised if we saw Sturdivant and Howard play at a solid ACC starter level and then a combo of, for example, Coleman, Kelly, and Maxwell step up and provide enough fire power to get us in as the 6th or 7th ACC team, or possibly 8th or 9th if the ACC is unexpectedly strong.

Where the patience comes in is the roster.

Going by Eligibility here is our roster. What I mean is if they have one year of eligibility left, I'm calling them a senior. Two will be a junior. etc.

SR
Franklin

Jr
Sturdivant
Howard
Terry

Soph
Coleman
Kelly
Smith
Maxwell
Meka
Moore

Fr
Martynov
Bagatskis
Hill (Walk on but former 3* prospect who had multiple offers from Major P5 level programs)

After this year we're only guaranteed to lose Franklin, and even after NEXT year we're still looking at 9 players who could be here in 2 years time. Obviously in today's age unexpected departures are a thing you have to live with so I highly doubt all 9 will be here by then, but it is likely we have most of our core for the 24-25 year currently on the team. So while the roster is set up where it could realistically have a surprise decent year, it's really well set up for sustained success in the years that followed building on what we do this year. This isn't like Gregory's last team where everyone was scheduled to leave and so we had to have the payoff then.
Don’t hear much about Martynov and am curious about his possibilities.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don’t hear much about Martynov and am curious about his possibilities.
It's going to be next year before he really contributes. He is only 18 and a few months removed AAU ball.

He may play a role this year, but he's probably a season away from being a key part of the rotation.

That said, the coaches are really high on and his future potential. Same with Freds.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's 3-4 fonts on this board that have really taken away from what it used to be. Everyone knows who they are.

Just a miserable bunch that never have anything positive to say, offer nothing toward the discussion, just completely uninformed about the college basketball landscape.

There's a lot of knowledgeable fonts here that I enjoy interacting with, but I must admit, I only check this board once or twice a week because of it. It's a shame that the mods let it continue.

I call it drive by posting... I'm miserable, so let me know interject with something negative.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner mentioned Martynov in his in his interviews yesterday. Said his skill set really fits our system. I don't think that Howard is a 40 mpg type of player so, either Martynov plays or we go small sometimes.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner mentioned Martynov in his in his interviews yesterday. Said his skill set really fits our system. I don't think that Howard is a 40 mpg type of player so, either Martynov plays or we go small sometimes.
He also talked about Meka improving and being able to provide some quality minutes as Meka's backup.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
AJC had a writeup of his answer to the question "how do you use the portal?" I quote some of his answer - I deleted some of his response that was not relevant to the question. It does highlight some of the problems Tech has with the portal.

“You know, when we’re looking in the portal, we’re constantly trying to find the right fit. Georgia Tech is one of the elite academic schools in the world. I think it’s the only FBS school to play football in Division I that does not have a bachelor of arts; everything is a bachelor of science. To be a student, to be a student-athlete, it’s incredible. It’s amazing.

“It’s a science, math and technology school, and to be able to do what these young men do and the rest of the students, it’s remarkable. There’s very few online classes, if any, at Georgia Tech, and so by the time we get them for practice, they’ve had a full day.
“But look, a lot of the people that graduate from Georgia Tech are – they build the airplanes and build the bridges, so you want them to learn in the classroom, not online building those things.

“That’s what’s so great about the school. Fourteen people went to outer space that are Georgia Tech grads. They found water on Mars from Georgia Tech. That’s what’s amazing about this school. It’s incredible. It’s a real honor to be able to be coaching there.

“I say all of that to say Georgia Tech is awesome. What an incredible school. I know I’m on a little tangent, but for these guys to go to school at Georgia Tech, play athletics, the school is amazing. It is an amazing academic institution, and when you get – when you’re looking in the portal, I know I’ve gone a little off line, but when you’re looking in the portal, you’ve got to have the right fit.
“And the right fit is it’s a special, special place academically and it’s a real honor to be around these young men and to see what they – when Kyle (Sturdivant) shows me his homework and it’s like the math class these guys are in, it looks like alien spacecraft. It’s unbelievable. But these guys, that’s just the power of these young men here. They’re really, really special.”

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
“But look, a lot of the people that graduate from Georgia Tech are – they build the airplanes and build the bridges, so you want them to learn in the classroom, not online building those things.
That is just awesome. All of those quotes were awesome. A lot of coaches don't celebrate GT the way Pastner does. This is one reason why I like Pastner. Many coaches see the limitations and lament. Pastner is honored.

slugboy

Staff member
Is there any scuttlebutt on offensive changes?

I'm not sure if anything is happening, but there was some buzz about it in the offseason.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm not sure if anything is happening, but there was some buzz about it in the offseason.

Still gonna run the Princeton, not as much from the elbow, but it will continue to be the offensive philosphy.

The biggest "change" will be more of a focus on getting out in transition and taking shots (good shots) earlier in the clock...not giving the ball a headache.

Another primary focus this year is avoiding the silly turnovers. He feels like that will make us better offensively.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Still gonna run the Princeton, not as much from the elbow, but it will continue to be the offensive philosphy.

The biggest "change" will be more of a focus on getting out in transition and taking shots (good shots) earlier in the clock...not giving the ball a headache.

Another primary focus this year is avoiding the silly turnovers. He feels like that will make us better offensively.
I hope we do great and will be pulling for the team. Just disappointed we are ranked last with a coach who has been here for awhile. Hope Pastner can prove ranking predictions wrong. We should never be ranked last, we are in a better situation than that.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan

I don’t know the history of Pastner at Memphis…can someone tell me if he ran this same offense there? I just assumed he adapted this when he got at GT and with coach Rev based on the roster he inherited.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
AJC had a writeup of his answer to the question "how do you use the portal?" I quote some of his answer - I deleted some of his response that was not relevant to the question. It does highlight some of the problems Tech has with the portal.

“You know, when we’re looking in the portal, we’re constantly trying to find the right fit. Georgia Tech is one of the elite academic schools in the world. I think it’s the only FBS school to play football in Division I that does not have a bachelor of arts; everything is a bachelor of science. To be a student, to be a student-athlete, it’s incredible. It’s amazing.

“It’s a science, math and technology school, and to be able to do what these young men do and the rest of the students, it’s remarkable. There’s very few online classes, if any, at Georgia Tech, and so by the time we get them for practice, they’ve had a full day.

“That’s what’s so great about the school. Fourteen people went to outer space that are Georgia Tech grads. They found water on Mars from Georgia Tech. That’s what’s amazing about this school. It’s incredible. It’s a real honor to be able to be coaching there.

“I say all of that to say Georgia Tech is awesome. What an incredible school. I know I’m on a little tangent, but for these guys to go to school at Georgia Tech, play athletics, the school is amazing. It is an amazing academic institution, and when you get – when you’re looking in the portal, I know I’ve gone a little off line, but when you’re looking in the portal, you’ve got to have the right fit.
“And the right fit is it’s a special, special place academically and it’s a real honor to be around these young men and to see what they – when Kyle (Sturdivant) shows me his homework and it’s like the math class these guys are in, it looks like alien spacecraft. It’s unbelievable. But these guys, that’s just the power of these young men here. They’re really, really special.”
Excellent take, best I have heard from coach P

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There's 3-4 fonts on this board that have really taken away from what it used to be. Everyone knows who they are.

Just a miserable bunch that never have anything positive to say, offer nothing toward the discussion, just completely uninformed about the college basketball landscape.

There's a lot of knowledgeable fonts here that I enjoy interacting with, but I must admit, I only check this board once or twice a week because of it. It's a shame that the mods let it continue.

I call it drive by posting... I'm miserable, so let me know interject with something negative.
Curious as to your expectation for this year's team? Do you see us coming out to start the season strong and have a very solid OOC record this year before ACC play starts?

Last year we were 237 in scoring at 68.6 per game. Do you think we wi be a higher scoring team and how do you see the points being distributed among our players.

Last year we were 219 in scoring defense at 70.8 per game. We didn't have the interior defense that CJP has traditionally had with Lamers, Banks and Wright. Do you see a shift in how CJP goes about covering the inside defense this year?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t know the history of Pastner at Memphis…can someone tell me if he ran this same offense there? I just assumed he adapted this when he got at GT and with coach Rev based on the roster he inherited.
It was an offense that his assistant, Tavares Hardy, installed. He did not run it at Memphis.