When Does a College Fire It's Coach?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am amused watching the turmoil at the University of Tennessee re the fate of Coach Butch Jones.

Here's the dilemma. If UT loses this weekend to Georgie, they will effectively be out of the SEC East race and its not even the end of September (bad). Butch has a terrible relationship withe press, doesn't get along especially well with the players, has a reputation as crappy game day coach. In short, he's viewed by UT fans as not SEC material and certainly not UT material. Fans want to thank him for his service and move him back to a lesser conference.

On the other hand, the University likes him. He's restored (yes, restored) UT to something of a national prominence after the debacle of Dooley and Kiffin. He's won 9 games each of the last two years and will probably do ok this year given the low expectations. He's a good recruiter. He's a family man and people like him personally. Butch offers stability in a rich, storied program ... but likely won't be a SEC contender, let alone a national one. They also know that Johnny Majors took 8 years to win an SEC championship, so there's that. And there's no one in the pipeline to take over the program so they would have to gamble on another unknown.

Long story short. The Fans hate him. The University likes him. But even the University admits, if the donors cave on him, Butch is out.

So sports fans, if you are UT ... do you fire him now, or voice your support for a guy who is admittedly not great ... but has at least gotten the program back to somewhat being normal?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I cannot tell you how glad I am that we are not UT.

(Still grumbling about losing to them!)

Deleted member 2897

Well lets take an objective but snarky perspective on Butch Jones.
Georgia Tech game - More than 2 to 1 on offense. We literally made them look stupid.
Indiana State - win (but its Indiana State).
Florida - winning in the waning seconds but somehow inexplicably didn't play deep prevent when literally the only play they could lose on was a deep pass. The announcers spoke multiple times about how bad Jones coaching and game strategy was.
UMass - barely beat them by 4 points when they are a terrible 0-5 team. That's right, 0-5. That's EMBARASSING.

I mean, the single solitary time where they looked like they knew what they were doing was against an obscure FCS team. That is NOT a good look.

georgia looks exceedingly good this year, especially against an inept division. I wouldn't doubt, especially after how the game ended last year (HA HA HA HA) if georgia doesn't run the score up and keep running it up just to make sure.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well lets take an objective but snarky perspective on Butch Jones.

You make a lot of good points. Sentiment in Knoxville is 4:1 that he needs to go.

But all of that said, the guy did a lot to restore luster to a tarnished program. But this reminds me a lot of the Bill Curry era at Tech. Hence, my interest ...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The one thing in Butch's favor are the advantages of coaching stability. He hasn't done badly in terms of win/loss, he's a decent recruiter (though why he never tried to get Cottrell is a mystery), and he gets along well with the higher-ups. Baring a losing season I think he stays for another 2 - 3 years just to see what he can do to stabilize the UT program. If they want to move on then, they will. And they will probably screw up Kiffen-style again.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
SEC football is imploding because every program thinks they should be on the same level as Bama.

Jones, McElwain, Orgeron, Sumlin - all have been mentioned on hot seat and it's still September. Probably others too. I try not to follow that nonsense too closely.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The one thing in Butch's favor are the advantages of coaching stability. He hasn't done badly in terms of win/loss, he's a decent recruiter (though why he never tried to get Cottrell is a mystery), and he gets along well with the higher-ups. Baring a losing season I think he stays for another 2 - 3 years just to see what he can do to stabilize the UT program. If they want to move on then, they will. And they will probably screw up Kiffen-style again.
The 2018 Tennessee recruiting class is in the Top 5