What's not being said

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Is often as important as what is said. I have heard no contingency plans for DL from CPJ or Roof. When Gailey had similar problems, OL were moved to DL. I still appreciate Wrotto for doing that. So that leaves some scenarios. OL moves are being looked at on the sly? Klock? Devine could be a clog in the middle. Anyone else?

If this is not being considered then what? Maybe Roof has told CPJ that we will be stout enough in the back 7 to scheme around the DL (maybe we play 8 in the box a lot) or that we are fine with the players we have. Maybe CPJ feels the offense is where it was in 2009, and all the D has to do is get a couple of stops each half. Possibly CPJ told Roof, "You have all you are getting. Figure it out and recruit better."

If I'm boss, I go with all of the above. Improved O and ST along with the best back 7 since CPJ has been here allows us to get by with what we have and gives Roof the chance to offer immediate playing time on the recruiting trail. I probably would gamble on getting by without sacrificing OL depth and experience.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have 4 players for 2 spots (possibly 5 when Adrian returns).

CPJ has already mentioned a 3 man DL and 4 LB for a 3 X 4 1 gap look.

He will pick the best option above if needed.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Most offensive linemen are not physically tough enough to play defensive line. I know a lot of folks will declare this as BS but if you play and watch enough football, they put the bad asses on defense.

Go Jackets!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Most offensive linemen are not physically tough enough to play defensive line. I know a lot of folks will declare this as BS but if you play and watch enough football, they put the bad asses on defense.

Go Jackets!
With most offenses that my be true but ours is different.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We have 4 players for 2 spots (possibly 5 when Adrian returns).

CPJ has already mentioned a 3 man DL and 4 LB for a 3 X 4 1 gap look.

He will pick the best option above if needed.

I agree. I can see playing a 3 man line (one DT) at least a third of the time. We already expect a passing formation 70% of the time and we could change it up on at least half those downs from 4 man to 3 man and use our faster LBs and LB depth to do some serious pass rushing. IMO we only have a DT depth problem if we try to play two DTs all the time. After all it is the pass rush that more quickly wears down the D. I would sure like to see Roof turn those LBs loose.

Practice is still an issue and a challenge for the coaches as we do not have enough DTs for the scout team, but IMO the games are maneageable, with foresight planning, with our existing DTs and use of our LB resources. Of course injuries could upset everything.

I watched the Buford vs Fla Trinity HS game last night where Buford got a two score lead early and put Trinity in a predominantly pass mode (70% +). Buford very effectively mixed up the defense with 3DLs and 4 DLs and used some blitzing LBs...much like what we are suggesting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think most OL have a different mindset than our OL.
Allow me to expand if I might. My understanding is that the psychological profile that the NFL uses delineates a clear difference in the personalities of offensive and defensive linemen. A simple example is the way they keep their lockers. Offensive linemen, if they fit the profile, tend to have everything neat, tidy and in place. Defensive linemen enjoy creating chaos in offenses and their lockers tend to be a little more unkempt. At least this is what I read years ago.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Allow me to expand if I might. My understanding is that the psychological profile that the NFL uses delineates a clear difference in the personalities of offensive and defensive linemen. A simple example is the way they keep their lockers. Offensive linemen, if they fit the profile, tend to have everything neat, tidy and in place. Defensive linemen enjoy creating chaos in offenses and their lockers tend to be a little more unkempt. At least this is what I read years ago.

I am sure there is some validity to this lockerism but IMO the real difference is that some good looking specimens cannot get off the blocks and/or cannot find the ball from the (low) 3 point stance, even if they are competitively tough and aggressive. Some look like patty cake men while the runner passes them by or they imitate velcro men (sticking to the blocker) on the pass rush. DTs are like running backs, requiring natural instincts, to go along with natural aggression and toughness. OL requires very different skills.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am sure there is some validity to this lockerism but IMO the real difference is that some good looking specimens cannot get off the blocks and/or cannot find the ball from the (low) 3 point stance, even if they are competitively tough and aggressive. Some look like patty cake men while the runner passes them by or they imitate velcro men (sticking to the blocker) on the pass rush. DTs are like running backs, requiring natural instincts, to go along with natural aggression and toughness. OL requires very different skills.
Yes. Clearly there is more to it than "lockers." That story just stood out for me when I was reading about the different psychologies.