What's different now?

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Were we able to get better players in the late '80s and 1990 when we won the Natty than we are able to get now? If so, why? What's different now?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$........

Yes 100%. Also, the internet. Think about it, back in the 80's how did coaches find kids to recruit? They would hear about them through their network. High school coaches would tell them about a great kid they had - which was basically effective in the immediate area. Or the kids had to self recruit by contacting the school, going to a camp. How did coaches communicate with recruits? Had to call them at home or send a letter snail mail. If they wanted to see film on a kid someone had to literally film it or use a camcorder in the 90s and physically mail the video.

Now, a coach in California can pull up 247 and see all the kids Bama thinks is worthy of an offer and watch video of them on Hudl all in in 30 seconds. Tweet at them, email, text, whatever. Geographic distance still matters, but it's not a barrier to contact and communication.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't have detail, but I doubt we were next to last in the conference financially back then. This is not a trivial problem, and short of a major windfall, it's not going away quickly. It impacts funding of facilities, recruiting, and coaching talent.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have detail, but I doubt we were next to last in the conference financially back then. This is not a trivial problem, and short of a major windfall, it's not going away quickly. It impacts funding of facilities, recruiting, and coaching talent.

As of 2017, the latest public data, Tech was 10th out of 15 (including ND) and within 10% of the #6 team VT. Tech was lower under Sasquatch. Things are improving under TStan. I expect the 2018-2020 numbers (when released) will be even better.

Miami, Clemson, ND and FSU are on a different level, but the rest of the ACC is right around where Tech is now.

This is specifically Football spending. Tech is lower on total athletics, but we sponsor fewer sports.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's what I saw (from 2017):

Here’s the numerical order of how much each ACC school spent on football; the accompanying national rank is in parentheses.

The numbers include a variety of factors: coaching staff salaries, academic aid and recruiting finances. The AP states, though, two critical factors aren’t baked into this cake: money paid to coaches through multimedia partners, and cash put towards facilities.

1. Florida State (No.2): $42.46 million
  2. Notre Dame* (No. 4): $38.97 million
  3. Clemson (No. 10): $34.67 million
  4. Virginia Tech (No. 16): $31.15 million
  5. Miami (No. 25): $28.47 million
  6. Duke (No. 36): $23.47 million
  7. North Carolina (No. 37): $23.46 million
  8. Louisville (No. 38): $23.43 million
  9. Syracuse (No. 39): $23.22 million
  10. Pittsburgh (No. 40): $23.13 million
  11. Boston College (No. 48): $21.35 million
  12. Virginia (No. 51): $20.33 million
  13. NC State (No. 54): $19.19 million
  14. Georgia Tech (No. 61): $17.38 million
  15. Wake Forest (No. 63): $16.61 million
The thing that doesn't show up here is that our high debt load doesn't give us much flexibility.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Here’s the numerical order of how much each ACC school spent on football; the accompanying national rank is in parentheses.

The numbers include a variety of factors: coaching staff salaries, academic aid and recruiting finances. The AP states, though, two critical factors aren’t baked into this cake: money paid to coaches through multimedia partners, and cash put towards facilities.

The thing that doesn't show up here is that our high debt load doesn't give us much flexibility.

we’ve historically done more with less. Imagine what we could do with more! Time to give.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As to money::::
2016 TO 2018 - Texas A M """"increased"""" donations by 20$million.
OURS STAYED FLAT AT 11$million.

I hope that cgc and his staff of gt alumni get tightwad alumni to donate for staff.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Ross was one heck of a coach before he ever came to GT, thought we were really lucky to get him at the time, was not upset at all when BC left and we got Ross. I wasn't here during that era, but seems like they recruited players they could develop just like our current staff seems to be doing.
Seems to me Dabo built Clemson with lots of 3 stars, I love coaches that can do that.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Those are the Financial year 2015 #s. Which would have been released 2017. The public data lags by 2 years. 2015 was a particularly bad year for Tech.

Most recent numbers FY 2017 per https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/:

upload_2020-2-15_12-28-49.png

ACC over time (Doesn't include Pitt, Cuse, L'ville and ND) Not color coordinated by school colors because Excel is weak.

upload_2020-2-15_12-30-10.png

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for the update, BCJacket. It looks like the top four are breaking away (and VPI could probably re-join if they could rekindle enthusiasm in their program). Miami is something of a surprise, but I guess they're trying to stay within shouting distance of FSU in spite of their lack of results.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
ACC over time (Doesn't include Pitt, Cuse, L'ville and ND) Not color coordinated by school colors because Excel is weak.
EXCEL isn't "weak". It simply sucks big-time for any graphic presentation. It's as good as most spreadsheets for preparing small/middle square datasets. But once you do that, the whole shebang should be fed into either JAMOVI or R and analyzed using ggplot2. I'd use JAMOVI because it is menu-driven, based on R (it comes with a distribution of a subset of R that runs it), a lot of add-ons for various esoteric techniques, and it is FREE! FREE! FREE!

Try it. You'll like it.

Btw, great work. Always nice to come here and find some, you know, data analysis sprinkled in with the fan outbursts.

Btw, part duex. We need to catch Puke this year. One step at a time here.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
EXCEL isn't "weak". It simply sucks big-time for any graphic presentation. It's as good as most spreadsheets for preparing small/middle square datasets. But once you do that, the whole shebang should be fed into either JAMOVI or R and analyzed using ggplot2. I'd use JAMOVI because it is menu-driven, based on R (it comes with a distribution of a subset of R that runs it), a lot of add-ons for various esoteric techniques, and it is FREE! FREE! FREE!

Try it. You'll like it.

Btw, great work. Always nice to come here and find some, you know, data analysis sprinkled in with the fan outbursts.

Btw, part duex. We need to catch Puke this year. One step at a time here.

Ok, ok, Excel isn't weak. I love Excel, I use it all day most days. But the colors not matching expected school colors is confusing for visual folks.

How many schools have multiple discussions on the pros/cons of Excel for data analysis and graphics on their athletics board. :) Gotta love Tech fans.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/if-you-are-asking-why.19998/page-3#post-645796

Duck Fuke. I'd bet we're well above them by now with TStans fundraising/marketing efforts.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, ok, Excel isn't weak. I love Excel, I use it all day most days. But the colors not matching expected school colors is confusing for visual folks.
Especially for the 10% of the population that is red-blue colorblind. That's why I always told my students to use gray scale (ggplot2 has a bunch of them) though there is also a "colorblindfriendly" palette in R somewhere. See:

https://www.datanovia.com/en/blog/top-r-color-palettes-to-know-for-great-data-visualization/

for the gory details.