What will Paul call on the first play?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I hate trick plays, particularly if they involve someone other than our QB throwing a pass. I just want to see the team run the offense and CPJ to call plays within it and in reaction to the defense.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Five receiver set, just to **** with them. We then shatter all of their kneecaps. All of them. Also, somehow the kneecaps of the SEC network people in the booth also shatter.

Same here. To me, they're a sign of lack of confidence in the base offense. I dont consider the reverse to Smelter a trick play, contrary to what one poster earlier said.

It depends on how you use them. They can be a sign of a base that's not working. Typically that means using them in situations where they aren't a perfect fit because very high risk plays seem better than nothing.

On the other hand, deployed tactically at the right time, a 'trick' play can be devastating. In fact, from a tactical standpoint they're just like the flexbone, except that where the flexbone exploits the tendencies of the defense in ways that they see coming but can't stop, the 'trick' play seeks to exploit the defense from a place they don't see coming.

The A back pass, for example, exploits the same tendencies as the rocket toss, but instead of a run gives a couple of quick routes. For teams that stack the box AND are getting lazy with their secondary? Boom. Now, of course, for that to work you'd need an A back that can consistently throw the ball well. It's a shame that Georgia Tech doesn't have any of those, and never will.

Paul Johnson doesn't call trick plays. He only finds new ways to speed your demise.