What went wrong?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I didn't have high aspirations but I thought we would come out better than this.Here are my guesses on some reasons.
1. The emphasis by PG on defense and rebounding (or the lack of a skilled OFF assistant) ,worked to the detriment of a team that lacked real shooting/Off skills.The Off rebounding ability and put-backs masked a real Offensive team inability somewhat.An example is Sampson.He never developed into the "high" in the high/low combo with a shot or pass from 15 ft and this is a guy who was in the program a year before this to practice it..
2.Our guards are not talented /big/nor skilled enough.College game is controlled by guard play.They have some capability -maybe in another 2 yrs will play at a winning level. Jorg and Heath are decent passers(little driving or real scoring) but you have got to have shooters/scores to receive the ball--who? MGH does best one on one with the ball slashing.
3. T Jackson was just not at a level to help as much as hoped..Being the best hi school player in Ga (maybe) only meant so much in '14.. (as opposed to this class with Brown).
4.PG just made some poor tactical decisions to lose so many close games.This varied from bad subbing to questionable play calls.
5. Probably a lot can be traced to weak recruiting.We spoke previously on not getting Quarterman at Lsu nor the PG at Iowa st as examples.When you celebrate getting Q like it is Favors from 5 yrs ago,it gives a perspective on comparison of who we were bringing in ..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I say this not as some kind of badge of honor, but I never thought it'd work. I think you hit some of the details right on the head but, as they say, crap starts at the top (or STTE).

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I didn't have high aspirations but I thought we would come out better than this.Here are my guesses on some reasons.
1. The emphasis by PG on defense and rebounding (or the lack of a skilled OFF assistant) ,worked to the detriment of a team that lacked real shooting/Off skills.The Off rebounding ability and put-backs masked a real Offensive team inability somewhat.An example is Sampson.He never developed into the "high" in the high/low combo with a shot or pass from 15 ft and this is a guy who was in the program a year before this to practice it..
2.Our guards are not talented /big/nor skilled enough.College game is controlled by guard play.They have some capability -maybe in another 2 yrs will play at a winning level. Jorg and Heath are decent passers(little driving or real scoring) but you have got to have shooters/scores to receive the ball--who? MGH does best one on one with the ball slashing.
3. T Jackson was just not at a level to help as much as hoped..Being the best hi school player in Ga (maybe) only meant so much in '14.. (as opposed to this class with Brown).
4.PG just made some poor tactical decisions to lose so many close games.This varied from bad subbing to questionable play calls.
5. Probably a lot can be traced to weak recruiting.We spoke previously on not getting Quarterman at Lsu nor the PG at Iowa st as examples.When you celebrate getting Q like it is Favors from 5 yrs ago,it gives a perspective on comparison of who we were bringing in ..

For me the most important one is #4. 12 of our losses we were leading or within 1 possession in the last few minutes of the game. The only possible explanation for losing all those games is poor coaching. Sure, our offense could have been better, Tadric could have played better, etc, but the fact is all that was good enough to keep us in every game, but when it came down to the point where coaching mattered most, we fell short

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
GT is last in the ACC in FG%
GT is last in the ACC in 3pt FG%
GT does not have a player in the t0p 30 in the ACC in 3pt FG%
GT does not have a perimeter player in the top 45 in the ACC in 2pt FG%

Ramblin Red says he doesn't like to hear people say that this team can't shoot. You don't need to say it--the stats speak loud and clear.

Gregory's failure to recruit enough ACC quality perimeter players is his undoing.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
GT is last in the ACC in FG%
GT is last in the ACC in 3pt FG%
GT does not have a player in the t0p 30 in the ACC in 3pt FG%
GT does not have a perimeter player in the top 45 in the ACC in 2pt FG%

Ramblin Red says he doesn't like to hear people say that this team can't shoot. You don't need to say it--the stats speak loud and clear.

Gregory's failure to recruit enough ACC quality perimeter players is his undoing.

I've seen enough of this team to state with ironclad certainty they cannot shoot. Jorgenson is a 30 percent shooter, and his shooting stroke will remind no one of Mark Price's shot. Jackson is a 26 percent shooter, coming off a 3 of 15 performance. And it's not like he started off as the second coming of Anthony Morrow or Dennis Scott or anything.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I've seen enough of this team to state with ironclad certainty they cannot shoot. Jorgenson is a 30 percent shooter, and his shooting stroke will remind no one of Mark Price's shot. Jackson is a 26 percent shooter, coming off a 3 of 15 performance. And it's not like he started off as the second coming of Anthony Morrow or Dennis Scott or anything.

He was never supposed to be be Morrow or Scott. That was never his game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the offense improved over the course of the season. But that improvement was from abysmal to merely awful, and shooting followed that same trajectory. MGH, Tadric and Jorgy are all players who seem to thrive in the open court, especially on breaks. Mitchell is the same. But that is not CBG's offense. We have the core to build on, but we need someone who can find the right buttons to push. And recruit another player or two.

As for what went wrong, I still feel the wheels came off when CBG decided to sign Solomon Poole. Stacey was here as a transfer and Solo came in as an EE. He never fit in and cost us some recruits that Spring. Stacey was always limited as a talent. Then, losing Carter was the final blow. All this is on CBG. These were all his recruits and his decisions.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think the offense improved over the course of the season. But that improvement was from abysmal to merely awful, and shooting followed that same trajectory. MGH, Tadric and Jorgy are all players who seem to thrive in the open court, especially on breaks. Mitchell is the same. But that is not CBG's offense. We have the core to build on, but we need someone who can find the right buttons to push. And recruit another player or two.

As for what went wrong, I still feel the wheels came off when CBG decided to sign Solomon Poole. Stacey was here as a transfer and Solo came in as an EE. He never fit in and cost us some recruits that Spring. Stacey was always limited as a talent. Then, losing Carter was the final blow. All this is on CBG. These were all his recruits and his decisions.

yep, good thoughts

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
we cannot shoot from the outside and Gregory is not an inspirational coach. He obviously can't light fires in these guys.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
we cannot shoot from the outside and Gregory is not an inspirational coach. He obviously can't light fires in these guys.

See, I'd like to believe this because we certainly don't see much of it in games, but if it was really the case, why have we played so hard until the bitter end, never showing any quit. Kids aren't doing that if they don't love their coach and get fired up for him.

Next year will not be any better. The same terrible shooting players will still be on the roster. The same coach will be on the sidelines and running the same offense. Why doesn't CBG hold tryouts at the SAC for shooters. He sure as hell can't recruit any.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
See, I'd like to believe this because we certainly don't see much of it in games, but if it was really the case, why have we played so hard until the bitter end, never showing any quit. Kids aren't doing that if they don't love their coach and get fired up for him.
I agree, the guys haven't quit-- but there has to be a new approach on Off,
I've seen other teams pass the ball EIGHT times while we are passing it four- for ex

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree, the guys haven't quit-- but there has to be a new approach on Off,
I've seen other teams pass the ball EIGHT times while we are passing it four- for ex
Totally agree, but there's a difference between coaching ability and inspiring your players.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
So you believe these guys give it all they have and still lose the way they do? Do they not have just a little bit more inside of them to keep these loses just coming like clockwork? I believe they got it. Gregory seems like a nice guy but he just doesn't seem to get it out of them.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So you believe these guys give it all they have and still lose the way they do? Do they not have just a little bit more inside of them to keep these loses just coming like clockwork? I believe they got it. Gregory seems like a nice guy but he just doesn't seem to get it out of them.
I think we're saying the same thing, differing in degree. I think he can light a fire in these guys, but it's more of a building fire than a wild California brush fire.

Lit enough of a fire for that huge comeback at Clemson, couldn't keep the momentum in OT. Lit enough of a fire to play ND well twice, not enough to keep the lead.

He gets us to hunt & catch the rabbit, can't get us to kill & eat.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It will really be interesting to see who's shaking hands with the BOB when the dust settles.He made his mark in knowing bball guys,now is thetime to show it.