What was the play with pulling guard and tackle?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It was a counter option, CPJ stated so in the post game press conference. SBNation has an article about how the play was messed up: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...orgia-tech-two-point-conversion-overtime-2017
Screen_Shot_2017_09_05_at_12.48.03_AM.png

At this point, GT has four offensive players on the right side while TN only has three defensive players. If TQ had continued forward, the LB would have had to choose between tackling the QB and tackling the BB. The LB is the option guy, he is not supposed to be blocked. If TQ had kept moving forward, if the LB had gone toward Benson, TQ could walk in the end zone. If the LB had gone straight at TQ, TQ could pitch and Benson could have walked in the end zone behind the receiver. Benson wasn't anywhere close to the LB. If he had crossed in front of TQ as you suggest, then he would have slowed TQ down, and put both Benson and TQ in reach of the LB. It looks like in this shot, TQ is already turning back toward the middle. If he had continued along the designed path, it would have been a 99.999999% guarantee of a conversion.

wow, what a great shot.It tells it a lot..
TM read it wrong.He was cutting too soon unless he was going to pitch it looks like.but-Their LB MIGHT have tackled either TM or Benson ,whoever had the ball but it would have been tough.Also maybe the CB might have helped.

If I saw this without knowing the result I would think TM would be hit by the DE and maybe LB or with the LB going for Benson on a pitch.We had at least a 50% chance with pitch.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He made a long run cutting up on the same play.

The right play is to force the read, but I understand the instinct to cut up and dive.
Right. We tend to forget that this was not just Taquon's first start, but his first extended action on the field of any kind at all. Like a lot of young players in the same situation, he thought back to what had succeeded before instead of making the right read on the play at the time. He'll mature out of this, but we need to expect that there will be times going forward that he'll make the same mistake. By the Turkey game, I expect that he'll be smoothed out. I also expect that we'll see this play again in future.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
As a post script, I continue to be amazed at Johnson's field vision. That he could correctly dissect the errors immediately after the game with no film review benefit is remarkable.
I imagine it helps a lot knowing what is supposed to happen. He's probably looking at the edge while the rest of us are looking at the QB waiting for the snap.

For those of us that dream of listening to CPJ dissect a play, that post game interview was about as good as it gets. He doesn't do that very often.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I imagine it helps a lot knowing what is supposed to happen. He's probably looking at the edge while the rest of us are looking at the QB waiting for the snap.

For those of us that dream of listening to CPJ dissect a play, that post game interview was about as good as it gets. He doesn't do that very often.
I'm sure you're right, but I recall a couple or three years ago he made some reference about always being able to see the whole field though he never quite understood why. And yep, his critique was terrific. Maybe it was because he was serving it up hot. (I still want to believe if i looked at it again he would get in. So I can imagine his pain.)
I imagine any day we will get some post from somebody saying that we would not have been in that position if only we had, well, you know, passed more.