What to watch this spring nationally

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
National article on things to watch this spring.

8. Transfer palooza: Forget the bitching and moaning about the transfer portal. The criticism is unfair for schools like Michigan State that built an 11-win season off it. It's also becoming clear those who embrace it the best and quickest will be the most successful. Watch these schools in the spring as they welcome a gaggle of transfers:

• USC: Riley has a plug-and-play tailback (Oregon's Travis Dye) and his Oklahoma QB (Caleb Williams).
  • Alabama: Saban may complain about the portal, but he has mastered it. This year it's Burton and Gibbs.
  • Ole Miss: Lane Kiffin snagged USC's Jaxson Dart to (supposedly) replace Matt Corral.
9. NIL: Millions are now being thrown around to secure the services of players. Such is the state of name, image and likeness, which entered its ninth month of existence on March 1. The NCAA has little to no oversight. Maybe that's karma for lacking foresight on the issue for years. Nothing is changing anytime soon. Collectives have been set up as de facto cash centers. Congress shows no interest in rushing to the rescue before or after the midterms. Prediction: In two years, we won't be talking about NIL in everyday conversation. It will be an accepted part of college athletics.

12. The new coaching normal: These 10-year guaranteed contracts are the new two-year extension. The market changed when a coach with a record barely above .500 (Michigan State's Mel Tucker) got a 10-year, $95-million deal financed by two boosters. He wasn't the only one (see: Kelly, Riley and Penn State's James Franklin). Perhaps that explains here were 29 coaching changes in a year when it was thought that COVID-19 would slow the roll. There is more impatience and desperation from athletic directors than ever before. In the last three offseasons, 68 schools have changed coaches. That's more than half of the FBS. Warning to coaches everywhere: Beginning with spring practice, you're all on the hot seat. (OK, expect Nick, Kirby and Dabo Swinney.)

13. Spring hot seat: The good news for coaches on the hot seat after all those changes? There aren't many of you.

• Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech: Collins enters 2022 with a six-game losing streak and the lowest winning percentage (.265) of any full-time Georgia Tech coach in history. "Less branding, more coaching," Collins said in December.
16. Super Mario: Miami power brokers threw millions at a 20-year-old problem. All of it was enough to lure native son Mario Cristobal from Oregon and convince accomplished coordinators Josh Gattis (offense) and Kevin Steele (defense) to head an impressive staff. Cristobal's plan is to make Miami such a recruiting haven that local talent can't possibly go elsewhere. It happened before in a football galaxy far, far away. Will it happen again? One thing is certain: The Canes will be physical. Cristobal's teams are always tough.

20. ACC reset: With Clemson slipping out of CFP contention (only 10 wins!) and the ACC slipping out of the CFP, it's fair to speculate what's next on the field for the league. Entering his eighth season, Pat Narduzzi has built a solid program at Pittsburgh. Miami has thrown the GDP of a small European country at its two-decade drought. Wake Forest has a swift, productive offense. Dave Doeren has NC State on a consistent arc. While the Pac-12 has noted, extensive problems, the ACC faces its reality. Without Clemson ruling the earth, will the conference stay in the CFP hunt?

Strong is just the latest big-name addition to what has quickly become an elite staff at Miami. Instead of leaning hard on coaches that worked at Oregon, Cristobal has executed a nationwide search for key assistants that fit the program.

Strong joins Steele as former Power Five head coaches on staff. Additionally, offensive coordinator Josh Gattis won the Broyles Award as the best assistant in college football after leading Michigan to the College Football Playoff. Jahmile Addae moved from Georgia to Miami as secondary coach, while UTSA coordinator Rod Wright will reportedly join as defensive ends coach after a legendary season with the Roadrunners.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami is back baby! (I think they might really be this time)
I think they might be as well. But even with that, we really only have 4 opponents with major advantages in recruiting; Georgia, Clemson, UNC (at least for now), Miami (if they can leverage it). I know FSU is higher than us but that is a once in six year's occurrence. But with the rest of the ACC, we should be competitive in recruiting and at some point with Collins or someone else translate in to more wins.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think they might be as well. But even with that, we really only have 4 opponents with major advantages in recruiting; Georgia, Clemson, UNC (at least for now), Miami (if they can leverage it). I know FSU is higher than us but that is a once in six year's occurrence. But with the rest of the ACC, we should be competitive in recruiting and at some point with Collins or someone else translate in to more wins.
Only 4, that’s hardly encouraging. Assuming we regularly go 1-3 against them that means going 7-1 against everyone else to get to 8 wins. That is a high hurdle. We need UNC to ditch Brown and get Fedora again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Brown will age out soon. I figure 3 more years tops. The biggest thing he had going is that NC kids seem to be UNC fans. Lot of it is basketball success.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
National article on things to watch this spring.

8. Transfer palooza: Forget the bitching and moaning about the transfer portal. The criticism is unfair for schools like Michigan State that built an 11-win season off it. It's also becoming clear those who embrace it the best and quickest will be the most successful. Watch these schools in the spring as they welcome a gaggle of transfers:

• USC: Riley has a plug-and-play tailback (Oregon's Travis Dye) and his Oklahoma QB (Caleb Williams).
  • Alabama: Saban may complain about the portal, but he has mastered it. This year it's Burton and Gibbs.
  • Ole Miss: Lane Kiffin snagged USC's Jaxson Dart to (supposedly) replace Matt Corral.
9. NIL: Millions are now being thrown around to secure the services of players. Such is the state of name, image and likeness, which entered its ninth month of existence on March 1. The NCAA has little to no oversight. Maybe that's karma for lacking foresight on the issue for years. Nothing is changing anytime soon. Collectives have been set up as de facto cash centers. Congress shows no interest in rushing to the rescue before or after the midterms. Prediction: In two years, we won't be talking about NIL in everyday conversation. It will be an accepted part of college athletics.

12. The new coaching normal: These 10-year guaranteed contracts are the new two-year extension. The market changed when a coach with a record barely above .500 (Michigan State's Mel Tucker) got a 10-year, $95-million deal financed by two boosters. He wasn't the only one (see: Kelly, Riley and Penn State's James Franklin). Perhaps that explains here were 29 coaching changes in a year when it was thought that COVID-19 would slow the roll. There is more impatience and desperation from athletic directors than ever before. In the last three offseasons, 68 schools have changed coaches. That's more than half of the FBS. Warning to coaches everywhere: Beginning with spring practice, you're all on the hot seat. (OK, expect Nick, Kirby and Dabo Swinney.)

13. Spring hot seat: The good news for coaches on the hot seat after all those changes? There aren't many of you.

• Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech: Collins enters 2022 with a six-game losing streak and the lowest winning percentage (.265) of any full-time Georgia Tech coach in history. "Less branding, more coaching," Collins said in December.
16. Super Mario: Miami power brokers threw millions at a 20-year-old problem. All of it was enough to lure native son Mario Cristobal from Oregon and convince accomplished coordinators Josh Gattis (offense) and Kevin Steele (defense) to head an impressive staff. Cristobal's plan is to make Miami such a recruiting haven that local talent can't possibly go elsewhere. It happened before in a football galaxy far, far away. Will it happen again? One thing is certain: The Canes will be physical. Cristobal's teams are always tough.

20. ACC reset: With Clemson slipping out of CFP contention (only 10 wins!) and the ACC slipping out of the CFP, it's fair to speculate what's next on the field for the league. Entering his eighth season, Pat Narduzzi has built a solid program at Pittsburgh. Miami has thrown the GDP of a small European country at its two-decade drought. Wake Forest has a swift, productive offense. Dave Doeren has NC State on a consistent arc. While the Pac-12 has noted, extensive problems, the ACC faces its reality. Without Clemson ruling the earth, will the conference stay in the CFP hunt?

Strong is just the latest big-name addition to what has quickly become an elite staff at Miami. Instead of leaning hard on coaches that worked at Oregon, Cristobal has executed a nationwide search for key assistants that fit the program.

Strong joins Steele as former Power Five head coaches on staff. Additionally, offensive coordinator Josh Gattis won the Broyles Award as the best assistant in college football after leading Michigan to the College Football Playoff. Jahmile Addae moved from Georgia to Miami as secondary coach, while UTSA coordinator Rod Wright will reportedly join as defensive ends coach after a legendary season with the Roadrunners.
Anybody dismissing Clemson is in for a long season. Last year's 10-3 season might have been Swinney's best coaching job of his career because without an offensive line and without wide receivers -- a walk-on and a bench guy started the bowl game -- he finished October 4-3 and now rides the longest win streak, six games, in the country. It was no secret that the offense under Elliott was just a shadow of itself. It should be exciting again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Miami’s staff is unreal. Worried they might be the one to finally take the Clemson type leap and contend with them. Miami and FSU being national powers would help the ACC so much.
Exactly. The league is within a short leap of being in SEC territory.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody dismissing Clemson is in for a long season. Last year's 10-3 season might have been Swinney's best coaching job of his career because without an offensive line and without wide receivers -- a walk-on and a bench guy started the bowl game -- he finished October 4-3 and now rides the longest win streak, six games, in the country. It was no secret that the offense under Elliott was just a shadow of itself. It should be exciting again.
This comment is what scares me about Tchio at GT and the expectations for him.. Clemson's OL was not good last year and Tchio went from an early season contributor as a backup to a complete non contributor who played 1 snap over Clemson's last 8 games. In the 2 games that he got significant snaps in against FBS teams Clemson lost both of them and had less than 200 yds of total offense in regulation in both games.

I think Clemson will be fine. I think they have a better than even chance to get back to the ACC Championship game this year, but I do not see them as a national title contender. They have won 6 in a row but hardly against a murderer's row of competition. They beat a 5-7 FSU team, a 6-7 L'ville team, a 1-11 UConn team, a 11-3 Wake team, a 7-6 SCe team, and a 7-6 Iowa St team. Only one team with more than 7 wins. The bowl game they won 20-13, had 315 yds of total offense, one offensive TD and the difference in the game ends up being a INT returned for a TD. Anything less than 5-1 would have been a huge red flag. Every one of those teams was .500 or worse against P5 competition.

In their first 7 games their 4 wins came against a FCS SC ST team, a 3-9 GT team - by 6, a 6-6 BC team - by 6, and a 5-7 Syracuse team - by 3. Arguably its only 'good' win all season was against Wake.
They played 4 teams that won more than 7 games last season and went 1-3 against them. IMO their 6 game winning streak can potentially be explained as much by how their schedule was set up then anything else, it was front loaded with most of the good teams they faced in the first 7 games.

Their schedule is pretty similar to last year, probably slightly easier. They start off the year with GT, Furman and La Tech. Their toughest stretch is probably their last 4 where they have ND in South Bend and three home games - L'ville, Miami and SCe. They have 7 home games and only 4 true road games - at Wake, FSU, BC and ND. The only other stretch where they have to worry about maybe dropping a game in the 4 game swing that is @Wake, NCST, @BC, @FSU.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ohio state of spring game April 16.
The ol guy who was visiting wants to get play OT instead of og.

If the tico on guy is not solid in our spring game??
NIL the osu ol in men?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ohio state of spring game April 16.
The ol guy who was visiting wants to get play OT instead of og.

If the tico on guy is not solid in our spring game??
NIL the osu ol in men?

Ryan Day said Paris Johnson volunteered to move to OG to get more playing time. Also, Day and the OL coach is on record saying Left Tackle starting job is Johnson's to lose. That's where he's starting, and that's where he's staying unless someone else steps in and blows the coaches away.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This comment is what scares me about Tchio at GT and the expectations for him.. Clemson's OL was not good last year and Tchio went from an early season contributor as a backup to a complete non contributor who played 1 snap over Clemson's last 8 games. In the 2 games that he got significant snaps in against FBS teams Clemson lost both of them and had less than 200 yds of total offense in regulation in both games.

I think Clemson will be fine. I think they have a better than even chance to get back to the ACC Championship game this year, but I do not see them as a national title contender. They have won 6 in a row but hardly against a murderer's row of competition. They beat a 5-7 FSU team, a 6-7 L'ville team, a 1-11 UConn team, a 11-3 Wake team, a 7-6 SCe team, and a 7-6 Iowa St team. Only one team with more than 7 wins. The bowl game they won 20-13, had 315 yds of total offense, one offensive TD and the difference in the game ends up being a INT returned for a TD. Anything less than 5-1 would have been a huge red flag. Every one of those teams was .500 or worse against P5 competition.

In their first 7 games their 4 wins came against a FCS SC ST team, a 3-9 GT team - by 6, a 6-6 BC team - by 6, and a 5-7 Syracuse team - by 3. Arguably its only 'good' win all season was against Wake.
They played 4 teams that won more than 7 games last season and went 1-3 against them. IMO their 6 game winning streak can potentially be explained as much by how their schedule was set up then anything else, it was front loaded with most of the good teams they faced in the first 7 games.

Their schedule is pretty similar to last year, probably slightly easier. They start off the year with GT, Furman and La Tech. Their toughest stretch is probably their last 4 where they have ND in South Bend and three home games - L'ville, Miami and SCe. They have 7 home games and only 4 true road games - at Wake, FSU, BC and ND. The only other stretch where they have to worry about maybe dropping a game in the 4 game swing that is @Wake, NCST, @BC, @FSU.
good points all.The red flag should have flown when they eked out a win vs. GT n the first game, so we should look out this year. Most of us, well, me at least, saw the glass as half fiull when they actually competed against Clemson -- we were coming back -- but it turned out to be more than half empty. Thanks.p.s. good point on the win streak but I am guessing they would have taken that against Ma and Pa Kettle after being 4-3 after two months of the season. And I give them a bit more credit for the bowl game. Iowa St. was no pushover with a first rate head ball coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Talking to a Clemson fanatic in church, he seemed to be of the opinion, which may be widespread among Clemson fans (FWIW) that there is nothing wrong with the Tigers that having a quarterback as opposed to an athlete would not fix. I am not sure but the incumbent is on a short leash in all probability. As always, the Tigers are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball as are Miami and North Carolina. As for Tchio and others from the portal, I am of the belief, (not shared by many) that depending upon other teams' castoffs is not the way to build a program but that may just be me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Miami’s staff is unreal. Worried they might be the one to finally take the Clemson type leap and contend with them. Miami and FSU being national powers would help the ACC so much.
Maybe they want to be a national power again, and maybe you want them to be but no coach that has to play them every year wants them to be a national power again. It is hard enough to play a perennially loaded Miami team every year without the national power hoopla attached. They are already head and shoulders above most of the teams in the Coastal including us as it is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... As for Tchio and others from the portal, I am of the belief, (not shared by many) that depending upon other teams' castoffs is not the way to build a program but that may just be me.
You are on the money,\. There is something like 4,000 names in the portal, most of whom will no get picked up for that reason. Now having in effect opted out of their team's plans, most will lose their scholarships immediately. No coach wants a player like that around, consuming his scholarships. The stars, particularly at QB, we hear about. But like you, I think if a guy is good, he would stay where he already has the playing time.The odds and ends can build a contender there, the rest, not. As for Clemson, well. When your coach sees every glass as full , all the time, you kind of fall into it. (And I saw coach K throw his team under the bus and then run over it after UNC beat them. Made me appreciate a guy like Swinney, who keeps that stuff to the locker room while happy talking to his fans,)

p.s. Swinney and Clemson are determined that the QB is going to have a great year. If so, look out. If not, well, this is the guy who replaced Kelly Bryant in mid=season and never looked back despite lots of yowling from the fans that he had just thrown away a NC.)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As much as I would like GT to become a power, it hasn't been one for 60 years and is extremely unlikely to ever be one.
From a long term health of the ACC standpoint it would be helpful if FSU and Miami regained some of their former glamour.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as I would like GT to become a power, it hasn't been one for 60 years and is extremely unlikely to ever be one.
From a long term health of the ACC standpoint it would be helpful if FSU and Miami regained some of their former glamour.
I agree. As of now, the Coastal Division is one of the weakest division in Power 5. Several years ago at least Virginia Tech and occasionally Georgia Tech would be ranked. Pittsburgh (#13) was last year but no one else in the Coastal at the end of the season. Clemson, Wake Forest and NC State were ranked in the Atlantic though none in the Top Ten.