What things are you looking for in Spring practice

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of battles to watch on the Offensive side of the ball this Spring...QB, B-Back, Offensive Line in particular.

A few players I'll be watching:

Justin Thomas (what kind of handle does he have on the offense?)
Zack Laskey (Is he ready to be the man at B-Back?)
Are the redshirt freshmen Offensive linemen ready for meaningful playing time?

A different question: Will Whitehead take part in Spring practice?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Lots of battles to watch on the Offensive side of the ball this Spring...QB, B-Back, Offensive Line in particular.

A few players I'll be watching:

Justin Thomas (what kind of handle does he have on the offense?)
Zack Laskey (Is he ready to be the man at B-Back?)
Are the redshirt freshmen Offensive linemen ready for meaningful playing time?

A different question: Will Whitehead take part in Spring practice?

No, he is still at GMC.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
To me Eric I'm looking forward to seeing Custis and what he brings to the offense. Not worried about JT because I feel he is going to be the QB we have all been waiting for. Also with Chase Roberts out I really wish they would move Shamire Devine out to tackle because I feel it would be better with him and Griffin manning the tackle spots.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
QB: How will JT look now that he's "the man" and playing against our first string defense. He looked OK last Spring against our first string D, certainly not as good he looked against our second string D. MJ...something tells me he's going to make hit hard on CPJ to redshirt him. Byerly will be Byerly...probably the guy that runs our offense the best, but certainly without the physical gifts of JT or MJ.
OL: Can Griffin and Devine develop fast enough to stay with the first string OL? Certainly Griffin has a great shot considering how putrid our OT's were last season, and Devine is probably the most gifted OL we've had on the Flats during CPJ's tenure. Our OL has a lot of questions to answer if they're going to keep our very thin roster of QBs upright.
RB: Want to see Custis line up without a fullback as our BB, but also interested to see how Donovan Wilson looks back there. That's probably the BB tandem of the future. AB...need someone to be a playmaker ala Orwin and Godhigh.
WR: Really want to see how Jeune developed over the redshirt year, other than that, we pretty much know what we have at this position.
Offense: CPJ keeps saying he's going to do some different things, we'll see...

DL: Who's going to step up and help Gotsis? Has it finally clicked for Kallon? How's Travin Henry's athleticism and speed translate to DE? Would like to see how Commissiong and Robins advanced over the last year. Lots of question here.
LB: Want to see how Tyler Marcordes takes on a bigger role...great physical gifts there. Also like to see how Tre Jackson and PJ Daniels battle it out for a spot considering their size.
CB: Who's going to step up opposite DJ White? CBs look thin this year. Step Durham...big chance for him here.
S: Isaiah Johnson is finally back on the field, and playing in Roof's D. Will he be play more sound at Safety, and who's going to take the other safety spot?
Defense: With a season of installing the foundatioin of his defense, what kind of wrinkles will Roof install now that he knows his personnel better?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our chances to see the practices and scrimmages are too limited. My impression from the last few years Spring practices is that there are few players who really impress me. It is usually because you never know whether it's that the player is so good or those opposing him aren't that good.

Real speed, athletic moves, catches will catch our eyes. But it'll be the fourth game next year before we have an idea of what we really have. The idea that someone would gain a competitive advantage that they wouldn't in the first three game films is silly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
#1 Wish: Thoughtful assessment of where we're really at on D from Ted Roof, or at least some comments on where he projects us compared to last year.

Coaches and players excited about performance of some guys on DL like Gamble, Kitchen, and Stargel.
Seeing plays that "look good" from both sides of the ball, regardless of outcome. I don't want to see the QB making out of control scrambles or DBs making big plays after recovering from someone being out of position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our chances to see the practices and scrimmages are too limited. My impression from the last few years Spring practices is that there are few players who really impress me. It is usually because you never know whether it's that the player is so good or those opposing him aren't that good.

Real speed, athletic moves, catches will catch our eyes. But it'll be the fourth game next year before we have an idea of what we really have. The idea that someone would gain a competitive advantage that they wouldn't in the first three game films is silly.

This. Every year, we get these glowing reports of certain players who look great in scrimmages and the spring game, but our fans fail to realize it's our guys playing against our guys. Did our guys look good because they're really that good, or did they look good because the guys we have on the opposite side are NOT that good? Reality check comes when we hit the meat of schedule. It's the never ending GT fan tease...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
QB: How will JT look now that he's "the man" and playing against our first string defense. He looked OK last Spring against our first string D, certainly not as good he looked against our second string D. MJ...something tells me he's going to make hit hard on CPJ to redshirt him. Byerly will be Byerly...probably the guy that runs our offense the best, but certainly without the physical gifts of JT or MJ.
OL: Can Griffin and Devine develop fast enough to stay with the first string OL? Certainly Griffin has a great shot considering how putrid our OT's were last season, and Devine is probably the most gifted OL we've had on the Flats during CPJ's tenure. Our OL has a lot of questions to answer if they're going to keep our very thin roster of QBs upright.
RB: Want to see Custis line up without a fullback as our BB, but also interested to see how Donovan Wilson looks back there. That's probably the BB tandem of the future. AB...need someone to be a playmaker ala Orwin and Godhigh.
WR: Really want to see how Jeune developed over the redshirt year, other than that, we pretty much know what we have at this position.
Offense: CPJ keeps saying he's going to do some different things, we'll see...

DL: Who's going to step up and help Gotsis? Has it finally clicked for Kallon? How's Travin Henry's athleticism and speed translate to DE? Would like to see how Commissiong and Robins advanced over the last year. Lots of question here.
LB: Want to see how Tyler Marcordes takes on a bigger role...great physical gifts there. Also like to see how Tre Jackson and PJ Daniels battle it out for a spot considering their size.
CB: Who's going to step up opposite DJ White? CBs look thin this year. Step Durham...big chance for him here.
S: Isaiah Johnson is finally back on the field, and playing in Roof's D. Will he be play more sound at Safety, and who's going to take the other safety spot?
Defense: With a season of installing the foundatioin of his defense, what kind of wrinkles will Roof install now that he knows his personnel better?

Agree with a lot of this.

Also I wish we had a healthy PJ Daniels here :)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

We get to see more than most fanbases.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I want someone on the D Line to make me say we I wish we had him playing last year.

I want to see JT run the offense like he invented it.

And for the O line to man handle Gostis 1 on 1.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
QB, I really want to see sound, fundamental work there. Solid mesh, proper reads at speed and a "feel" for what the D is giving you. We all know JT has the quicks, can it translate to every down play. Byerly will show his knowledge and experience running the offense. Hoping to see Jordan lay his foundation for the future.

OL, very excited to see what Devine and Griffin bring. Solidify the starting 5 and get the rotation established going into the fall.

B backs, can Laskey keep his starting role? Custis and Wilson are going to push for the starting job! Depth looks very good there

A backs, are Hill and Perkins fully healthy? Can Synjyn finally develop ball security? I'm ready to see more of Dennis Andrews.

WR, can Waller find the "want to" that goes along with his physical gifts? Looking for Smelter to continue his growth? Summers and Jeune should be solid depth.

D line, who is going to step up with Gotsis? Gamble, Robbins, Kallon, Commissong, Stargel, Green and Chungong all bring ability, which will emerge?

LB, Davis and Jackson will be fun to watch. We won't know about Harrell till the fall.

DB, will Durham take charge opposite White?

S, this is time to see who steps up and how the rotation is going to be.

All in all lots to watch this spring. That's what makes it fun!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Team is going to be pretty young.
Offense
QB. How JT looks running the show. Lets see the speed and game breaking elusiveness we've heard about. MJ how he looks and fits in the offense will he be allowed to showcase his arm since he is the best passing QB CPJ recruited. If Taj will suprise as the darkhorse, and how Byerly has evolved in his game.
BB. Custis & Donavon this position has needed and upgrade for the pass three seasons, do we finally have on or perhaps 2.
AB. Who will emerge as the showcase AB. How much will they be incorporated in the passing game?
WR. I know what we have but I wanna see Juene and Messick's development. Will the WR get more shine?
OL. Everything. Will Devine or Griffin show they need to start? How nasty
Overall Offense. What the new wrinkles will be? Any new formations? Will we see more from the passing attack

Defense
Corner. How Step Durham. who will sew up the corner spot open next to DJ.
Safety. Will IJ return to starter. Who will man the safety spot next to him.
Linebacker. Marcordes and Beau Hawkins battling for back up or potential starter
DL. Who will step up Gamble? Kallon? Commissiong ? We saw an aggressive line last year but they didn't translate well during the season.
The interesting and perhaps the most important position battle

thwgjacket

Eric, doesn't make it right, does it?
If you're making reference to too many practices and scrimmages being closed feel free to go up to the coaches office and ask to watch. When CPJ was at Southern they would have "closed" practices for playoff games but there was a group that was always allowed in to watch and stand right next to the field even when they were closed. Contrary to some media reports CPJ is a really cool guy. If you went in and said "Hey, I'm a big fan and season ticket holder." You'd be surprised, they would probably let you watch. If not, all they can say is "no."