what real blue collar leadership is and means!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Personal story to be tied in with the way I believe Justin operates. Could be wrong but here goes nothing. I am almost 69 years old. I work as a detention officer in the Coweta Co Sheriff dept. But back when I was in hi school I never really exerted myself in academics although I was sort of smart. I went to Ga. Military Col. for 1 semester, and then W. Ga C. for another sem. I then went to work for Int. Playtex In Newnan at the age of 19 and I had gotten married. I was working as a warehouseman. There I was under a blue col. super. by the name of George Justice. George had everyone under control by being VERY likeable, knowledge of the work, but also most important had everyone believing in him. After 2 years I was promoted to a office job with own office and my own parking space. Thats now at the age of around 23. After the promotion and at lax times during working hrs. George would come in and say come on lets go help unload that truck out there as he himself would do. Or some other way I could help. He made me in that sort of way want to do all I could for him and the team. I also at that very young age locked up the plant being the last man (standing) to leave at the end of the day. George was also my Sgt. in National guard. I do owe him a LOT of credit for my work ethic. Now today I believe that Justin Thomas has used that same kind of leadership, and it has made EVERYONE on the team believe in him and love him for it! They will go to great lengths for him such as come on lets go run this thing fast and furious and watch what we can accomplish! Sorry if I bored you.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
No, I think you have put your finger on an unsung ingredient from last year's team.

Clearly, the culture of the team shifted between 2013 and 2014. We hear a lot about key players "buying in." And, of course there are a lot of ways to lead. Some of them are more subtle, as your story illustrates. One of the issues CPJ has been frustrated with has been the relative lack of internal (team) leadership during some seasons.

In addition to the relative leadership vacuum of some years, we have also had some players whose NFL hopes affected their practice and training habits. And, at times, their game efforts. Last year, it would appear the guys sold out to the system.

Good teams have player-led cultures that take up where the coaches leave off. This quality manifests in the weight room. It shows up with off-season route running and film study. In the locker room, our leaders last year willed us to not give up and to do the extra effort that resulted in the fumble caused or the first down gained.

Something kicked in last year. One of the hopes is that we didn't lose that "something" with the players who finished eligibility.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good story @jayparr . I think "management" coming out and doing other jobs is the key to success in most companies / areas of life. Lead from the front occasionally.

The biggest observable difference in our team last year (other than wins) was how we more more physical and aggressive in the second half than the other teams. That includes the over-hyped SEC teams at the end of the season. The ability to physically impose our will was developed in the off season and not due to trickeration but stamina and strength. Hopefully that is what we are developing now!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
No, I think you have put your finger on an unsung ingredient from last year's team.

Clearly, the culture of the team shifted between 2013 and 2014. We hear a lot about key players "buying in." And, of course there are a lot of ways to lead. Some of them are more subtle, as your story illustrates. One of the issues CPJ has been frustrated with has been the relative lack of internal (team) leadership during some seasons.

In addition to the relative leadership vacuum of some years, we have also had some players whose NFL hopes affected their practice and training habits. And, at times, their game efforts. Last year, it would appear the guys sold out to the system.

Good teams have player-led cultures that take up where the coaches leave off. This quality manifests in the weight room. It shows up with off-season route running and film study. In the locker room, our leaders last year willed us to not give up and to do the extra effort that resulted in the fumble caused or the first down gained.

Something kicked in last year. One of the hopes is that we didn't lose that "something" with the players who finished eligibility.
Excellent reply! I would not think they would leave a void in leadership after the success of last year!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Good story @jayparr . I think "management" coming out and doing other jobs is the key to success in most companies / areas of life. Lead from the front occasionally.

The biggest observable difference in our team last year (other than wins) was how we more more physical and aggressive in the second half than the other teams. That includes the over-hyped SEC teams at the end of the season. The ability to physically impose our will was developed in the off season and not due to trickeration but stamina and strength. Hopefully that is what we are developing now!
Thanks for your reply! The analogy of my story is that George was not a top level management ala coaches; rather more like a football team captain as Justin was last year as JUST a so.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
To add to my last post; I will say that as long as we have a QB. who believes in the system and can be some what of a leader and follow rules. leadership on the team won't be a problem. As long as all understand their rolls and adhere to team rules!

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice posting Jayparr. What kicked in last year were several players in the summer kicking themselves off the team along with a change at the QB position with an individual who wanted to be here and run this offense. Those critical events not only changed the team culture heading into last season, but has fostered a change moving forward as the players currently in this program understand what is expected of them and how to lead.

Attrition currently is based on players graduating and moving into the business world as opposed to removing themselves for breaking team rules or academic inefficiencies. That is a major positive!

IMHO another HUGE factor was JHD coming back as a WALKON and giving 100% to the team as a standout on the Scout Team. That is not something that you see everyday. Players were able to see first hand everyday a teammate giving it his all after realizing what he had taken for granted and almost let slip through his fingers.

A big shout out to his parents, and the entire GT Coaching for supporting this TOUGH LOVE decision to instill a life long invaluable decision that the entire squad can benefit from as a learning and appreciation tool.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Nice posting Jayparr. What kicked in last year were several players in the summer kicking themselves off the team along with a change at the QB position with an individual who wanted to be here and run this offense. Those critical events not only changed the team culture heading into last season, but has fostered a change moving forward as the players currently in this program understand what is expected of them and how to lead.

Attrition currently is based on players graduating and moving into the business world as opposed to removing themselves for breaking team rules or academic inefficiencies. That is a major positive!

IMHO another HUGE factor was JHD coming back as a WALKON and giving 100% to the team as a standout on the Scout Team. That is not something that you see everyday. Players were able to see first hand everyday a teammate giving it his all after realizing what he had taken for granted and almost let slip through his fingers.

A big shout out to his parents, and the entire GT Coaching for supporting this TOUGH LOVE decision to instill a life long invaluable decision that the entire squad can benefit from as a learning and appreciation tool.
Thank you for a wonderful and great reply!!!!!!! I concur on ALL points!!!!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think that was absolutely crucial. You are more than right.

The "something" I put even more stock on though seemed to happen between the ears.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

One of the things, maybe the major thing, that makes Thomas a leader is the team's belief that as long as the clock is running, they have a chance, and not just because of the Georgia miracle. At the end of the half, or end of the game, against GSU, VT, UNC, Georgia, FSU, they believed it. That was -- from a long distance view admittedly -- never the case. Those teams, in their souls, just did not believe they could win late, that they couldn't get there, there would be a fumble, an interception. It is not slamming those quarterbacks to acknowledge they could not inject belief into the huddle. The whole mindset as well as the culture changed. It is a rare thing and I am not sure another QB in the ACC can do it. He is exactly why people are talking about a team that lost all its Bbacks, almost every Aback and most of its wide receivers ... winning the ACC. Ain't that grand?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
One of the things, maybe the major thing, that makes Thomas a leader is the team's belief that as long as the clock is running, they have a chance, and not just because of the Georgia miracle. At the end of the half, or end of the game, against GSU, VT, UNC, Georgia, FSU, they believed it. That was -- from a long distance view admittedly -- never the case. Those teams, in their souls, just did not believe they could win late, that they couldn't get there, there would be a fumble, an interception. It is not slamming those quarterbacks to acknowledge they could not inject belief into the huddle. The whole mindset as well as the culture changed. It is a rare thing and I am not sure another QB in the ACC can do it. He is exactly why people are talking about a team that lost all its Bbacks, almost every Aback and most of its wide receivers ... winning the ACC. Ain't that grand?
Justin being just a soph. Is really unreal as being that kind of leader. That kind of leadership is born in you or should I say generic? He will go down as one of the most beloved players by his team mates and fans. The whole atmosphere and environment has changed for the whole program. I am not so sure that ANY OTHER player could have laid such a foundation as we are enjoying right now! Thanks for your reply!

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Personal story to be tied in with the way I believe Justin operates. Could be wrong but here goes nothing. I am almost 69 years old. I work as a detention officer in the Coweta Co Sheriff dept. But back when I was in hi school I never really exerted myself in academics although I was sort of smart. I went to Ga. Military Col. for 1 semester, and then W. Ga C. for another sem. I then went to work for Int. Playtex In Newnan at the age of 19 and I had gotten married. I was working as a warehouseman. There I was under a blue col. super. by the name of George Justice. George had everyone under control by being VERY likeable, knowledge of the work, but also most important had everyone believing in him. After 2 years I was promoted to a office job with own office and my own parking space. Thats now at the age of around 23. After the promotion and at lax times during working hrs. George would come in and say come on lets go help unload that truck out there as he himself would do. Or some other way I could help. He made me in that sort of way want to do all I could for him and the team. I also at that very young age locked up the plant being the last man (standing) to leave at the end of the day. George was also my Sgt. in National guard. I do owe him a LOT of credit for my work ethic. Now today I believe that Justin Thomas has used that same kind of leadership, and it has made EVERYONE on the team believe in him and love him for it! They will go to great lengths for him such as come on lets go run this thing fast and furious and watch what we can accomplish! Sorry if I bored you.

Sounds like a leader, not a boss.

Attachments

• boss-vs-leader-800x800.png
    boss-vs-leader-800x800.png
    908.1 KB · Views: 32

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
@jayparr, thanks for posting that. That's a wonderful story.

I find it mildly humorous that decades before we all had to work in TEAMS at work, and have continuous meetings all day every day and were told "There is no I in Team", and the walls were covered with stupid motivational posters, and everyone had to Collaborate and Ideate (and couldn't get a workspace where they could think straight for two consecutive minutes) -- that Mr. Justice knew in his heart how to build a team, and how to lead, and how to get everyone to buy in because he went first. ;) Just goes to show.

The big thing that JeT has that makes the difference to my observation is a healthy self-confidence (in addition to talent and athleticism, of course). That's not the same as an immensely talented kid that's egotistical, self-centered, narcissistic, belligerant and basically thinks his :poop: don't stink. JeT knows he can get the job done, and makes others believe they can too -- to everyone's benefit and confidence, not just his. He leads the way and pulls others up -- with the result that when he does screw up, others pull him up. That counts for a tremendous amount and I don't think it's something we've very often had in the recent past.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
@jayparr, thanks for posting that. That's a wonderful story.

I find it mildly humorous that decades before we all had to work in TEAMS at work, and have continuous meetings all day every day and were told "There is no I in Team", and the walls were covered with stupid motivational posters, and everyone had to Collaborate and Ideate (and couldn't get a workspace where they could think straight for two consecutive minutes) -- that Mr. Justice knew in his heart how to build a team, and how to lead, and how to get everyone to buy in because he went first. ;) Just goes to show.

The big thing that JeT has that makes the difference to my observation is a healthy self-confidence (in addition to talent and athleticism, of course). That's not the same as an immensely talented kid that's egotistical, self-centered, narcissistic, belligerant and basically thinks his :poop: don't stink. JeT knows he can get the job done, and makes others believe they can too -- to everyone's benefit and confidence, not just his. He leads the way and pulls others up -- with the result that when he does screw up, others pull him up. That counts for a tremendous amount and I don't think it's something we've very often had in the recent past.
Just woke up to a great and much appreciated reply! And do I do agree 100% with it. Thanks!!

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Leadership starts with character! Our coaches have that, our team leaders have that AND most of our student athletes have that. That is how we can achieve so much with athletes having lower star ratings. The equation for success is character, athletic ability and hard work. As long as we recruit to that formula we will do well. How do you think UGAG takes the great athletes they recruit and make them into just above average teams. No balanced formula. Its the character thing. Bad apples can not be tolerated in our system because they cannot be overcome by athletic ability.

Our kids work hard, play hard and have fun. I went to almost every game home and away, stayed at the team hotels and could see it. Don't forget though, "Leadership starts at the top!" and spreads through the ranks. Makes me proud to be a Yellow Jacket. We have it..... Enjoy IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)
SkyBuzz