What on earth are we doing!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I made the comment earlier before the game that this could get ugly if we play/shoot like we did vs Lowell.Well, we found out what a real team can do and does.Make us look silly and untrained.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As bad as we look(and I agree, we look terrible), I am not yet ready to insult CDS by comparing him to TFG (aka Collins). Is he failing thus far? Yes. Is he the super savior we all hoped for? No. But he doesn’t yet strike me as being the fraud and disaster that TFG was.

The difference is Collins at least had a resume somewhat justifying his hire and was taking on the task of switching over from the option which we knew was going to be terrible ever since Johnson was hired (it was one of the common refrains at the time of his hiring that switching from the offense was going to be terrible if we ever did it). CDS's resume didn't come close to justifying his hire, and he walked into a flawed roster, but one that did have a very experienced and fairly proven back court to work with.

4 games isn't going to tell the complete story of CDS's time here, but as of right now he's started about as bad as could be.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Bringing in a coach from the NBA without big money assistants familiar with the college game was a huge mistake. The NBA is not real basketball. The Hawks lost 157-152 a few days ago. Trying to bring that style to college where players actually play and respond to coaches is not a recipe for success.

And please don’t try to defend the product that is the NBA. If you like watching individuals that are extremely skilled and athletic it’s for you. If you like watching true competition look elsewhere. Those guys loaf up and down the court constantly.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Bringing in a coach from the NBA without big money assistants familiar with the college game was a huge mistake. The NBA is not real basketball. The Hawks lost 157-152 a few days ago. Trying to bring that style to college where players actually play and respond to coaches is not a recipe for success.

And please don’t try to defend the product that is the NBA. If you like watching individuals that are extremely skilled and athletic it’s for you. If you like watching true competition look elsewhere. Those guys loaf up and down the court constantly.
Honest question. Do you think NBA players have always loafed around, or is it a relatively new trend? Because the highest scoring decade in the NBA is actually the 60s, even without the 3 point line. But I’m not sure that the NBA players in the 60s were categorized as lazy as much as the players in the 2020s (the 2nd highest scoring decade) are.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to read folks giving up on CDS for not making changes 4 games in while Pastner rode the modified princeton halfway through the season before making changes :cool:

The base offense we ran against Cincy and have been running is a core NBA approach for a high ball screen and roll with the other 3 players well spaced and looking for the ball off the initial action. The idea is that highly skilled athletes can break down close outs and force multiple rotations until the D makes a mistake for an open shot. Against Cincy their guards were really good at fighting over the screen to stay in front and the bigs were mobile enough to take away anything that did come out of the action. And most importantly when we did pass the ball to a wing their close outs were hyper aggressive and they were able to lock down our guys without any penetration so no one had to rotate. Part of that may be the aggressiveness and urgency CDS spoke of afterward but IMHO part of that is our guards/wings are good but they don't have the handles that can take high end defenders off the dribble on command.

Makes sense that an NBA guy would run this approach and showing an NBA approach is logical if you want to recruit the NBA hopefuls from the ATL area. But it ain't gonna work with this group as we play higher end competition. The change needed is to look at player movement that creates advantages for players so we don't have to count on winning one on one drives. That is what I will be looking for.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting to read folks giving up on CDS for not making changes 4 games in while Pastner rode the modified princeton halfway through the season before making changes :cool:

The base offense we ran against Cincy and have been running is a core NBA approach for a high ball screen and roll with the other 3 players well spaced and looking for the ball off the initial action. The idea is that highly skilled athletes can break down close outs and force multiple rotations until the D makes a mistake for an open shot. Against Cincy their guards were really good at fighting over the screen to stay in front and the bigs were mobile enough to take away anything that did come out of the action. And most importantly when we did pass the ball to a wing their close outs were hyper aggressive and they were able to lock down our guys without any penetration so no one had to rotate. Part of that may be the aggressiveness and urgency CDS spoke of afterward but IMHO part of that is our guards/wings are good but they don't have the handles that can take high end defenders off the dribble on command.

Makes sense that an NBA guy would run this approach and showing an NBA approach is logical if you want to recruit the NBA hopefuls from the ATL area. But it ain't gonna work with this group as we play higher end competition. The change needed is to look at player movement that creates advantages for players so we don't have to count on winning one on one drives. That is what I will be looking for.
Excellent post. Thanks for bringing some reason to this thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Okay? Pastner was routinely criticized for sticking to the Princeon for way too long. And I don't mean in season but to start seasons. It wasn't a mistake that he waited too long to switch. The mistake was using it after Lammers left while having no suitable replacement.

CDS isn't getting blasted for lack of making changes in season. He's getting blasted because the team has looked like *** so far from the get go and several aspects are just mind boggling as to why we would even think it is a good idea in the first place.

What would make sense is for a college coach to take a college approach to coach his college players to play against other college teams.

slugboy

Staff member

I have seen us attempt to set screens all season. I’ve seen a lot of failed attempts to set screens, especially in the UMass Lowell game.

I think Stoudamire is asking too much too quickly. They can probably do some of what he wants, but it’ll take a while for them to get there. In the meantime, I hope he works with Hobbs to put something in place that he can coach well and that we can execute (I’ve already seen coaches try schemes that they never get comfortable with)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
What would make sense is for a college coach to take a college approach to coach his college players to play against other college teams.
I think the approach at all levels is to figure out how to win. So far, we've done that twice.

The rest is a work in progress. CDS got guys to buy into coming to GT, I think those same guys will buy into the coaching he's offering.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The rest is a work in progress. CDS got guys to buy into coming to GT, I think those same guys will buy into the coaching he's offering.

The issue isn't with buying in. The nature of the NBA vs college make it so coaching isn't going to be dealing with anywhere near the same circumstances.

For example, by the time CDS got to Boston, the core of Tatum, Brown and Smart, which was young by NBA standards, had already each started something like 7 or 8 college seasons worth of games against NBA players. That is on top of experience that was already gotten playing in college. That and then the years of treating it like a job with an NBA quality support staff in place means much further along development. That isn't a situation that any college team will ever come close to replicating.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have seen us attempt to set screens all season. I’ve seen a lot of failed attempts to set screens, especially in the UMass Lowell game.

I think Stoudamire is asking too much too quickly. They can probably do some of what he wants, but it’ll take a while for them to get there. In the meantime, I hope he works with Hobbs to put something in place that he can coach well and that we can execute (I’ve already seen coaches try schemes that they never get comfortable with)
No question - why I tried to label it as our "core" approach not our only set. We have run a set that starts with downscreens and has a nice curl action and we also ran a nice flex cut set a couple of times for a Deebo corner 3. I am sure there are a couple I missed. So I am not saying we don't have alternative sets or that CDS doesn't know any other way to set up his offense. Simply saying we stuck primarily with the high ball screen and space approach almost all of the Cincy game and most of the others. It was the set Kelly used to beat Howard late in the game. But IMHO we don't have the athleticism/handle it takes to be successful as our core offense versus our competition. We are going to have to use off ball motion/screening and lots of structured passes to get defenses to move/rotate rather than depend on beating close outs one on one.

FWIW while I call it an NBA offense, it is also a core concept many high end AAU teams use with "all star" teams. They will bet a good PG can initiate an offense by beating his guy off the dribble with or without a pick and happy to bet their guy can beat your guy on a close out one on one situation in a well spaced court. Makes a lot of sense when you have superior athletes/players. So this is a concept our guys played a lot in AAU coming up. You also see it or at least parts of it in a lot of college approaches.

I thought the Hobbs hire was a really good one. I have no doubt that between him and CDS they can come up with an alternative scheme they can get comfortable with. Question will be whether they agree with the underlying premise that we don't have the horses yet to count on routinely beating defenders off the dribble from the point or off the wing. If they do then they will move to an alternative scheme as the core approach. If not then I hope our defense really improves.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Okay? Pastner was routinely criticized for sticking to the Princeon for way too long. And I don't mean in season but to start seasons. It wasn't a mistake that he waited too long to switch. The mistake was using it after Lammers left while having no suitable replacement.

CDS isn't getting blasted for lack of making changes in season. He's getting blasted because the team has looked like *** so far from the get go and several aspects are just mind boggling as to why we would even think it is a good idea in the first place.

And he should get blowback for the start of the season. Ain't good. As for my starting comment - I would point out there are multiple posts here saying CDS will never change but I want Pastner back. I just saw a little irony in that - and totally agree with your comment that Pastner should have seen he didn't have the horses to run that set - just as I don't think CDS has the horses to run the core set we are using.

While I did call this an NBA set - the high screen/space the floor approach is used throughout the high end AAU ranks and is a piece of a lot of college offenses. So it isn't a stark college versus NBA issue recognizing the way I stated it does set it up that way. It is certainly a concept CDS is comfortable with and has a lot of experience with. And I think it plays well with the high end NBA aspiring ATL crowd. But like Pastner not seeing he didn't have the 5 to run the modified princeton, I think this is more CDS not seeing his horses were not well suited to this concept especially as we play better more athletic teams. Hopefully he will move off of it as our core set.

And don't take me as excusing it or the play we have seen so far. Far from it. Just not ready to blow it up 4 games in.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
And he should get blowback for the start of the season. Ain't good. As for my starting comment - I would point out there are multiple posts here saying CDS will never change but I want Pastner back. I just saw a little irony in that - and totally agree with your comment that Pastner should have seen he didn't have the horses to run that set - just as I don't think CDS has the horses to run the core set we are using.

While I did call this an NBA set - the high screen/space the floor approach is used throughout the high end AAU ranks and is a piece of a lot of college offenses. So it isn't a stark college versus NBA issue recognizing the way I stated it does set it up that way. It is certainly a concept CDS is comfortable with and has a lot of experience with. And I think it plays well with the high end NBA aspiring ATL crowd. But like Pastner not seeing he didn't have the 5 to run the modified princeton, I think this is more CDS not seeing his horses were not well suited to this concept especially as we play better more athletic teams. Hopefully he will move off of it as our core set.

And don't take me as excusing it or the play we have seen so far. Far from it. Just not ready to blow it up 4 games in.
He is giving his point guards an opportunity to shine. So far they haven't been up to the task.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Stoudamire prefers a guard-intensive approach anymore than it was no surprise Cremins did. I don't think we have anyone with the ball handling skills to succeed that way and will have to take a different approach.

slugboy

Staff member
Who is TFG?
Our former football head coach. TFG -> “The Former Guy” or words to that or another effect.

=====

On the day after Thanksgiving, I’m thankful that there are some posters that break down what’s happening on the court. Basketball wasn’t the sport I played—outside of the driveway and pickup games—so I know low post and high post princeton, and what a motion offense looks like. I saw what coach Budenholzer did with the Hawks before he left for Milwaukee, and I can see that Snyder is a good coach but he doesn’t have the pieces he needs to have.

I can see us trying and failing at the screen game, and I’ve seen it run beautifully (see Budenholzer, above).

But there’s more advanced stuff that I don’t know, and I appreciate those of you who break it down for the rest of us. In a thread titled “What on earth are we doing!”, I appreciate as much description of what we are doing as I can get.

We could use a Kenny Anderson in a big way, but two or three guys who are great dribbling the ball would help a ton. I’m also baffled that we emphasize screens and we just can’t set them. Is that a “want to” problem or a technique problem?

Also, I think I’d like some zone mixed in on defense, just to give our guys a breather. I think we’d play better defense, too, but giving 100% on defense 100% of the time is going to wear people out.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan

Agree. It’s been disappointing to see no attempt at changes and feels like we’re getting worse every game. Pastner’s problem was that he would make the changes too late but also never seemed to stop making those mistakes in the first place every season.

That’s what I’ll be looking at is if CDS knows what changes to make or if he’s going to be stubborn to his system. If he’s going to be stubborn then it’s going to be all up to his recruiting.