What is your current opinion of CPJ?

What describes your current opinion of CPJ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
It was clear early in the season that we had a quarterback issue and it hurt the team big time. I think the coach and the offense we have is perfect for our situation. With all our restrictions, it will be had to compete with mainstream methods. I am a Paul Johnson supporter all the way. For you doubters, who else would you choose that we have a realistic chance of getting to replace PJ?
SkyBuzz

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After looking at 70 years of GT football, I think CPJ is the right coach for us. I got overly excited after his first two years and overly depressed over the last three. I think this year's easier SOS will give us the chance to make people happier.

Basketball (CBG) makes football (CPJ) look good........

Beesball is where it's at this time of year ........... you don't have to ask whether Danny Hall is the right coach.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I guess I am on the fence.

I really like CPJ as a offensive guru and as I have said many times before and the triple option offense is one of my favorite things to watch in football...but as the HC over the time he has made some bad hires at DC and we have had problems developing QB's and a good OL....I also can't understand sticking with Sewak for so long.

Personally I really want to see him exceed but I just don't know if he will or not....We have a good schedule this year but our depth on offense concerns me.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
His positives outweigh his negatives for me. I don't worry about the in the game part of his job, it's the stuff off the field that I wonder about sometimes (managing personal, both payers and coaches). Overall he's good fit.

The meme of "Who else are you going to get? We are stuck with this offense for awhile" does not really mean much to me. We could switch over to a more traditional spread offense rather easily. Find a coach that wants to coach at GT with the limitations it has and we are good. We are not stuck with CPJ by any means.

foggy

Georgia Tech Fan
I have seen to much foosball at Tech/Bama etc in my greater than 60 years of watching and studying the game to think that pj has the where with all to succeed at a D1 school. It should be apparent to all he does not have the where with all to recruit at this level, it should be apparent to all he can't (or will not) hire competent assistants, he is abrasive to the media, and SA's on the side lines during game for the whole world to see. His so called to is horrible to see and he refuses to adapt to the game as it's played today. All in all I think this guy can nor will he succeed at this level of play.

Where do we stand...

I am a Tech fan. I support our coach whomever he (or she) might be. But Paul Johnson is falling short of what I would "dream" the Georgia Tech coach could accomplish, given six years to get acclimated. It is obvious, Georgia Tech's inherent recruiting challenges are a problem for him, and the lack of glamour of the offense is an additional burden. I wonder why we don't recruit better on defense, though? Our defense is anything but quirky. I reluctantly am leaning for a change in coaches, even if the CPJ norm of seven wins is met this year. I do think Coach Johnson and his offense have established an empirical ceiling of about 7 or 8 wins. Our schedule is just too soft for these results to be acceptable. We don't really play many strong teams, and the fact that we basically do not beat any of them is an indication of where the program is. I'm ready to see what someone else can do.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I strongly support CPJ. With academics, finances, and recruiting being what it is at Tech, what can you reasonably expect? We have a coach with integrity, a national reputation, who knows what he wants to do and is not distracted by distractors, one who cares for his players and graduates them, whose teams perform above their talent level (certainly on offense and recent changes give us a chance on defense and STs), and who gives us a competitive chance on any given day. Certainly in some games we could have done better but we are only a few high performing players from a 9 or 10 win team. Challenges are great and I doubt changing coaches will make things better, with academics, finances, and recruiting being what it is and that is not likely to change. Reality is 7 to 10 wins.
Recent changes (Roof, STs, recruiting rule changes from the Hill) by CPJ is getting us better and the 2014 team could win 10 games if we had DEs as good as our LBs, if BB had a Custis type backup, and if the QBs perform up to expectation. I know CPJ is working on those "ifs". Go Jackets!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I really like CPJ as a person and as a coach. I love the flexbone. However, I lean toward what Eric was saying in that he has made a few bad hires. No one is perfect but personally I am at the fork in the road with CPJ.

I want him to succeed but with the chips laying where they are, I am not optimistic at all. His first 2 seasons really spoiled me. Some things have changed since then and I am not talking about the W's and L's. CPJ's style imo changed from his first 3 years to now.

I want him to succeed so bad. The Flexbone can be successful on the BCS level. It can win a BCS title imo.

If CPJ puts up another mediocre season and loses to UGA then regardless if he is fired or not the Tech nation will be estranged from him imo.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I want him to succeed, because if he succeeds, GT succeeds, but I cannot see him succeeding to the level that we want without better recruits at skill positions and the DL than he is currently getting, and in my opinion, the snowball of negativity with his O and GT's academic rigor are a 2-fold death blow to his chances.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I am on the fence.

I really like CPJ as a offensive guru and as I have said many times before and the triple option offense is one of my favorite things to watch in football...but as the HC over the time he has made some bad hires at DC and we have had problems developing QB's and a good OL....I also can't understand sticking with Sewak for so long.

Personally I really want to see him exceed but I just don't know if he will or not....We have a good schedule this year but our depth on offense concerns me.

I agree with this 100%.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau if there is an "empirical ceiling" of 7 or 8 wins for CPJ, it's because of his D not "his offense." His offense has performed well enough that with an average ACC D, we would've won ~10 games each of the last 3 years.

We played great at home last year but attrociously on the road. If we get our D sorted out, we'll be good.

Also, consider this: if we win the ACC, we'll have a decent shot at the playoffs, where CPJ's offense will give us a psychological advantage.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
@Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau if there is an "empirical ceiling" of 7 or 8 wins for CPJ, it's because of his D not "his offense." His offense has performed well enough that with an average ACC D, we would've won ~10 games each of the last 3 years.

We played great at home last year but attrociously on the road. If we get our D sorted out, we'll be good.

Also, consider this: if we win the ACC, we'll have a decent shot at the playoffs, where CPJ's offense will give us a psychological advantage.

I 100% agree with all of this. But, it is my belief that his O is having a negative recruiting impact on the D side also. (i.e. "Do you really want to be blocked low all the time?" or "Do you know that if you come here (instead of GT), you will constantly see more NFL-type offenses in practice?", etc. etc.) That is the reason I just cannot see him getting past where he is now. Again, I hope I am wrong, because you are totally correct about his offense giving us an advantage, and I believe it can make up for a 20-25% talent gap, but not a 35-40% talent gap, which is where I believe we are now and unfortunately where I believe we will remain under this regime.