What is "White"

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This is a terrific conversation. Thanks for raising the question. I certainly agree that blatant and obvious racism is much less prevelant today than in the past - but it is still there is more subtle and devious ways. My wife is from Venezuela and sometimes struggles to find the right words to use in english. As MaintainBuzzMan described, some white and black people think she is stupid and talk down to her because her english is not as far advanced as a native.
Try having a southern drawl in New England and see how you're treated. (Hint: Not well.)

Deleted member 2897

This is a terrific conversation. Thanks for raising the question. I certainly agree that blatant and obvious racism is much less prevelant today than in the past - but it is still there is more subtle and devious ways. My wife is from Venezuela and sometimes struggles to find the right words to use in english. As MaintainBuzzMan described, some white and black people think she is stupid and talk down to her because her english is not as far advanced as a native.

The pastor at my church likes to say that here in South Carolina we're the New South and completely different than we were 50 and 150 years ago. We're well known for our hospitality and respect. We smile and warmly greet those different from us. And then we stab them in the back when they're not looking.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
That's right... If you ever hear someone start a sentence with "You poor thing" look out... You are about to get skewered... :)

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Try having a southern drawl in New England and see how you're treated. (Hint: Not well.)
I have two sisters that both lived in Maine for a long time.....It took a little while, but they charmed the heck out of those folks with their "hey y'alls"