What Is The Worst Fan Criticism You Have Seen At Tech?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
But how would compare fan criticism of Collins to the criticism of other Tech coaches?

I guess to me it feels like Bill Lewis in the sense that criticism is deep and wide throughout the fan base. But I get the Zook comparison in that one game finally unleashed a mountain of pent up frustration.
I guess it is most like Pepper in that the "Old Guard" in the West Stands like my father absolutely detested Pepper. But Geoff is in a category all by himself when it comes to being sort of clueless about how his actions appear to ordinary fans. My Florida buddies watched that post game interview he had with the media and were shocked. They wanted to know how we hired someone like that when they were under the impression Tech people were smart? Personally, I believe the level of disgust with Geoff is pretty wide and pretty deep among Tech fans. The smartest guys in the room (you know, the ones who ridiculed and bad mouthed Coach Johnson) who paid out the big bucks to get Geoff are probably happy with him as he is their boy. IIWII

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really think he did find a good QB but didn't do anything with him there was no improvement .
There was, actually. When Reg was a frosh he threw more interceptions then TDs. For an old style NFL coach like Gailey and for Tenuta, that was anathema. No turnovers, especially on forced passes, was the coaching point from then on. And, sure enough, Reg learned how to throw it away. This decreased his passing % and his yards gained, but it made Chan happy.

Unfortunately, all that caution didn't improve the record until Reg was a senior. Having that severe ankle injury that restricted his running ability also didn't help. I still like what Bobby Bowden said to Reg in the Tech locker room after the classic FSU game in his freshman year, "Son, you're trying to get me to retire early, aren't you?"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
When I started at Tech in 1971 there was a "FIRE BUD" in 6 foot letters painted on one of the service driveways near the bottom of the hill. Not much patience with him as a head coach
Carson's main problem was that he followed a legend. The same thing happened to Ray Perkins following the Bear, Doug Dickey following Ray Graves at Florida, Ron Zook following Steve Spurrier at Florida, and whoever that poor soul was that followed Shug Jordan at Auburn. Never, never, never, be the guy to follow the legend, always, always, always, be the one to follow the poor sap fired after the legend.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As a former player under Carson, all I can really add is thank God the internet didn't exist in 1971. Both Atlanta papers, all three TV stations, and any and all of the monied GT alumni had become very vocal & open about wanting Budro gone.

As for us players, he'd lost us the previous year during the Sun Bowl 9PM practices during Fall Quarter Final Exams, essentially the last straw. As the season fell apart, then recovered to finish the regular season 6-5 before we, as a team, voted NOT to play Ole Miss, the pressure from (and on) Bud ramped up as evidenced by Bud telling us "We're going to stay in this room until you vote to go to the bowl."

Until CGC loses the locker room, there's a chance of redemption.

Fulcher was a well-liked guy, had a great staff, but was a victim of his own "Be careful what you wish for."

Pepper? Wasn't around for his turn in the barrel, but there was a major obstacle in the way, namely Joe Pettit, with the support of the aforementioned monied alumni who didn't like the changing face of GT athletes.

Curry is probably as close to CGC as any of these guys. Too much loyalty to his assistants (see Rip Scherer) which carried over to his move in Tuscaloosa. Losses to Memphis and Furman, plus a tie with Furman, had CBC in hot water for a while, too. They hated everyone but Don Lindsey.

As for Boss Ross, I was ready to see him gone after his first team (really Curry's last group) went 2-9 and flat out quit in the second half of the UNC game on Grant Field. He was a whopping 5-20 in his first 25 games at GT before the light bulb came on in the 4th game of '89 vs his old team, Maryland. I whiffed on that one......

Lewis had two careers at Tech. His first under Carson he was a players' coach & well liked. Then he screwed the pooch in Round Two with his Al Lugenbill hire and the nepotism fiasco that blew up his Locker Room & doomed him.

O'Leary had his faults, but he won. Then he left.

Gailey was a mediocre NFL assistant/Dallas HFC who was a fish out of water in college. 7-5 & lose badly to Ugag was all he was ever going to do.

CPJ? He did well following the blah Chan, but talent/recruiting eventually did him in. It really is Jimmys & Joes.

CGC? Afraid we have at least to the end of year 5 before a buyout becomes feasible, short of a CPJ negotiated exit.
Great write up thanks ( but the last part is sad 2 more years will be a killer)

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
In your mind how dissatisfied is the fan base with our current coach compared to past coaching situations?

I remember when Bud Carson followed Bobby Dodd at Tech. Some fans hated him from the get go. Criticisms were that his coaching style was too hard on players, he was not affable and the warm fuzzy Dodd was, and that he was a “yankee.”

Pepper Rodgers was considered a “Hollywood showboat” by his biggest critics and some fans just didn’t like anything about him.

Bill Lewis probably soured the fan base quicker than any coach in history for a variety of reasons.

Bobby Ross was booed from the stands, got hate mail and was almost run off in 1989.

We could name others and give more details but I am interested in whether the current criticism of Geoffrey Collins is the worst you have seen in your life time and how you think it compares in intensity to past coaching controversies. I am not just talking about relative popularity but the urgency for change as expressed by the fan base.
Paul Johnson got more criticism than CGC

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pepper had some success before he got here
He did indeed. He was successful and well liked at UCLA and even won games at Kansas where he led his team on the field with the somersaults and such. That is also where his long time feud with Dan Devine began. Pepper told the story that one game his Jayhawks were getting stomped by Dan Devine's Missouri Tigers and he flashed Coach Devine the "peace sign". Devine gave him half of it back. "You Can't Go Home Again" is what Tom Wolfe said and Pepper found out to his sorrow the truth in those words.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I know what he means. To me, it is not so much anger as the realization one has when you have bought an expensive car that turns out to be a lemon. A sort of resignation that you have been suckered and there is not much to be done about it. The scoffing ridicule from other fans is much greater with Collins than any of the others including Lewis.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Carson's main problem was that he followed a legend. The same thing happened to Ray Perkins following the Bear, Doug Dickey following Ray Graves at Florida, Ron Zook following Steve Spurrier at Florida, and whoever that poor soul was that followed Shug Jordan at Auburn. Never, never, never, be the guy to follow the legend, always, always, always, be the one to follow the poor sap fired after the legend.
That's how it started, but it all started falling apart with he way Carson treated his players. He thought we were all as dumb as the players he'd had as an assistant at UNC and USC(e) or his Marines. And it went down hill from there. He often said since he knew how to take apart an opposing offense as DC, he therefore knew how to build an offense. Never trusted his offensive assistants.

At the 1995 25th Anniversary Sun Bowl Reunion, I heard him say to one of his former assistants, in all seriousness, "I never understood what was so difficult about HOTEL management." He was forever clueless.

BTW, the 50th (Plus 1) Sun Bowl Reunion team will recognized at the Pitt game on Oct 2nd. We may be the only people in the stands.

And Doug Barfield followed Shug at Awbern, not that it matters.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I really don't remember folks being frustrated with Curry because I was one the really liked him. as for B** L**** at the time I was working for one of the top money man and he called me into his office and ask what I thought of him . I told him and he said yes that is what he was thinking picked the phone up and made a call the next day B** L**** was fired . and as for Gailey it seemed like half the fan base didn't like him and the other half was ok with him.
I worked in NC with the uncle of one of our players (you can probably figure out who). BL lost the team and did things that upset the families . One of his comments was little or no communication to the families of the players about team schedules on away games and injury status. Things that Ross had done were no longer done and the families felt shut out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Great write up thanks ( but the last part is sad 2 more years will be a killer)
Some players under Carson have mentioned / implied that they purposely threw the first half of the Peach Bowl. I was at that game sitting near the end zone where it looked like a Tech defender handed an intercepted ball to an Ole Miss receiver for a touchdown. Supposedly Tech played the second half legitimately and out scored Oke Miss but were down too many touchdowns for it to matter. It was a miserable, cold rainy night and seemed to begin the jinx for Tech of it being the one bowl game they could never win.

What is your take on those players who purportedly laid down in the Peace Bowl to get Carson fired?

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Some players under Carson have mentioned / implied that they purposely threw the first half of the Peach Bowl. I was at that game sitting near the end zone where it looked like a Tech defender handed an intercepted ball to an Ole Miss receiver for a touchdown. Supposedly Tech played the second half legitimately and out scored Oke Miss but were down too many touchdowns for it to matter. It was a miserable, cold rainy night and seemed to begin the jinx for Tech of it being the one bowl game they could never win.

What is your take on those players who purportedly laid down in the Peace Bowl to get Carson fired?
I was a US Navy and US Civil Service intelligence officer for almost 38 years & the line we were taught is "I can/will neither confirm nor deny."

I will add my stock comeback over the years: "The Statue of Limitations hasn't run out, I still see those lads from time to time & I have to look them in the eye. I'm not commenting re: a team issue, even one from 51 years ago. If someone else off that squad says it, they can stand by it if they choose."

Let the record show I "dressed out" for that game, but only set foot on the field for pre-game and the pre-3rd quarter warmups.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To me those are not real players , if you play you play to win.
I was asking if it actually happened.

The point was that they laid down for the sake of getting a coach removed that was unpopular. Say CGC goes 0-24 over the next couple of seasons but nobody is willing to buy out his contract so the players quit on him, the way they did on Bill Lewis, to force him out. I understand that times are different, the portal and all that but the story is amazing, if true, about what players were willing to do when no one else would step forward to get rid of a coach.