What is the state of our fan base?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I just want to know why we didn’t have Yung Gravy and Luda playing inside the stadium Pregame to try and get some of those music fans to buy a ticket?
I thought I had read that you would need a ticket to get into the area where they were performing, no idea if that's true/enforced though. Definitely feels like there would be better places to hold the performances though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I thought I had read that you would need a ticket to get into the area where they were performing, no idea if that's true/enforced though. Definitely feels like there would be better places to hold the performances though.
Not true

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Yes, plus just being likable as well. Everyone wants Brent to succeed, even Mario, who told him that when Brent thanked him at midfield after the game.
It’s not a mystery. Here is what works against us:

1. The typical nature/personality of a Tech alum. We aren’t the typical fun loving, extroverted, social folks that attract others to be a part of the scene. This is a bigger part of it than many will admit.

2. The old white headed guys from the state of GA that have always carried the load and faithfully bought season tickets and donated are dying off, and they are being replaced by people that don’t have the same affinity for GT football. That’s both a demographic and generational thing.

3. 4 years of suckitude, coinciding with the sleeping giant in UGA being at their apex, has sent many into hiding. See paragraph number 1. It doesn’t take much to send these folks into hiding, but the Collins years really pushed them into a cave.

4. The lack of institutional support combined with the laziness of the AA has left us way behind our competition for years. Cabrera and Batt are fixing this, and all of us will have to chip in to the extent we can. It’s going to take lots of money if we want to stay relevant.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

1. The typical nature/personality of a Tech alum. We aren’t the typical fun loving, extroverted, social folks that attract others to be a part of the scene. This is a bigger part of it than many will admit.

2. The old white headed guys from the state of GA that have always carried the load and faithfully bought season tickets and donated are dying off, and they are being replaced by people that don’t have the same affinity for GT football. That’s both a demographic and generational thing.

3. 4 years of suckitude, coinciding with the sleeping giant in UGA being at their apex, has sent many into hiding. See paragraph number 1. It doesn’t take much to send these folks into hiding, but the Collins years really pushed them into a cave.

4. The lack of institutional support combined with the laziness of the AA has left us way behind our competition for years. Cabrera and Batt are fixing this, and all of us will have to chip in to the extent we can. It’s going to take lots of money if we want to stay relevant.
Other things that hurt were leaving the SEC, pro sports coming to Atlanta, and letting the basketball program slip into irrelevance.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

First off, Happy Thanksgiving!

Second, I pretty much agree. My only reservation is giving my limited funds into a current version of college football that I really don’t like. I like to watch players who are students and who chose to go to my school to represent it as S-As, understanding that they are receiving something of great value in return for their toil, not as players sold to the highest bidder. I just shake my head at it all. I struggle to give to that. Just being honest.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
First off, Happy Thanksgiving!

Second, I pretty much agree. My only reservation is giving my limited funds into a current version of college football that I really don’t like. I like to watch players who are students and who chose to go to my school to represent it as S-As, understanding that they are receiving something of great value in return for their toil, not as players sold to the highest bidder. I just shake my head at it all. I struggle to give to that. Just being honest.
I understand, but we’ve got to do it, if we want to be competitive and relevant.

Jolly Good Fellow
Other things that hurt were leaving the SEC, pro sports coming to Atlanta, and letting the basketball program slip into irrelevance.
Great observation! And your point 3, “letting the bb program slip into irrelevance” is something I had never considered…. but is definitely a factor…these are tough days to be a Tech man

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Great observation! And your point 3, “letting the bb program slip into irrelevance” is something I had never considered…. but is definitely a factor…these are tough days to be a Tech man
How did that happen? Hewitt took us to a CG his 3rd year. Then the bottom dropped out for him and we were tied to a program-killing contract. That’s the most bizarre turn of events I’ve ever seen in college sports.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I curious what we think our fan base is looking like these days, and what the potential is. I was really hoping to see us put 40k in Bobby Dodd last night, but honestly it wasn’t even close. I believe it was 32k.

The crowd was still solid and energy was high so this isn’t meant as a negative post. I’m just curious if people think we will return to 45k+ crowds if we continue to progress from here, or if our fan base has genuinely dissipated through the last 5-7 years
About .500. It will take several really good seasons to bring them back.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
How did that happen? Hewitt took us to a CG his 3rd year. Then the bottom dropped out for him and we were tied to a program-killing contract. That’s the most bizarre turn of events I’ve ever seen in college sports.
Money- should have went after a big time proven winning coach instead of Gregory then Pastner. Now we have a guy who has no experience with big time college basketball. All we can do is hope gold is struck this time around.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Money- should have went after a big time proven winning coach instead of Gregory then Pastner. Now we have a guy who has no experience with big time college basketball. All we can do is hope gold is struck this time around.
All our money was going to Hewitt. We had no money. Still don’t.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
The way coach salaries went, that Hewitt contract should’ve been basically inflated away by the time the Pastner hire was made. Needed a lot more money than just that