What is the greatest game ever played at BDS at Grant/Hyundai Field?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
ND was 9-0-1 when they met USC and lost 23-3. They had a great D that season but their O was suspect at times. UGA had Herschel.
Irish QB was Blair Kiel. That's all that needs to be said.
And don't forget - the dwags got a cheap TD after the two ND return men stared at each other and let a kickoff land at the 1 between them and Georgia recovered.
Also, didn't the Irish kicker hit the crossbar on a FG attempt at Grant Field that year?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Irish QB was Blair Kiel. That's all that needs to be said.
And don't forget - the dwags got a cheap TD after the two ND return men stared at each other and let a kickoff land at the 1 between them and Georgia recovered.
Also, didn't the Irish kicker hit the crossbar on a FG attempt at Grant Field that year?
I was working that day and couldn’t watch.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
2008 and 2015 FSU both also come to mind.
2008 FSU was a whirlwind of emotion. Down to the last play. Cooper Taylor forced the fumble on a drive where I was almost certain FSU was going to score. Our elation lasted milliseconds before one of our guys tried to scoop it up in the endzone instead of just falling on it. I really thought we were going to hand it away at that point, but the ball bounced our way and we recovered to beat the legendary Bobby Bowden in the first Tech game I ever went to.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
2008 FSU was a whirlwind of emotion. Down to the last play. Cooper Taylor forced the fumble on a drive where I was almost certain FSU was going to score. Our elation lasted milliseconds before one of our guys tried to scoop it up in the endzone instead of just falling on it. I really thought we were going to hand it away at that point, but the ball bounced our way and we recovered to beat the legendary Bobby Bowden in the first Tech game I ever went to.
before that game, hadn’t beaten FSU since 1975

After that game: we’re 4-3 vs FSU since

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That was my first *real* game too. My first was a smaller school when Calvin Johnson was a freshman I think.

That FSU game was awesome. The storming of the field was awesome

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have ended the 110th season to be played on the flats. And what would y’all say is the greatest football game to ever be played on that site?

Obviously the earliest contender for this is the 1916 Cumberland game, not a competitive game but a very historic accomplishment.

Many people say that the best game to be played at Tech is the ‘99 uga game because of how back and forth it was, and the manner in which it played out.

A new contender is this year’s UNC game. Can we please pause to notice just how good of a FOOTBALL game, not just a GT game, that was? So much offense, back and forth, big plays, big coaching decisions, over 1100 yards of offense, and a 10 point comeback in the last 11 minutes.

A lot of y’all have witnessed more than me. So I’m sure I am missing a lot of good ballgames. (Note, only discuss games played on the flats)
The 7-6 win over Alabama when AL was number 1 in the nation, maybe 1961. May have been 1962

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Once again, I will repeat: the GGOAT (Greatest Game of All Time) at Grant Field was Bobby Dodd and Georgia Tech’s stunning 7-6 win over Number One-ranked Bear Bryant and Alabama in 1962. Hands down.

1707134366832.jpeg

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll say the 1952 Alabama game, which we won 7-3 - IMO the decisive win in our National Championship season. The highlight was perhaps the greatest goal line stand in Tech history, with little 160 pound Jakie Rudolph turning Alabama's Bobby Marlow upside down on his head on 4th and goal at the Tech 1. There was a picture of this tackle that took up almost an entire wall of Dean Griffin's office.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'll say the 1952 Alabama game, which we won 7-3 - IMO the decisive win in our National Championship season. The highlight was perhaps the greatest goal line stand in Tech history, with little 160 pound Jakie Rudolph turning Alabama's Bobby Marlow upside down on his head on 4th and goal at the Tech 1. There was a picture of this tackle that took up almost an entire wall of Dean Griffin's office.
Interview with Jakie Rudolph:

Some great photos of the hit on Marlow starting at 14:41

Last edited:

crazy4GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I think my favorite game that wasn't 98/00 game against the Dwags. 2008 Thursday night white-out game against Miami - freezing that night.. Hurricane fans were a horrible "we back" crowd. They were gone by the start of the 3rd quarter. Michael Johnson pick 6.

Link: 2008 GT whiteout